Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:54 AM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times

Advertisements

Let's get back to the topic... the Colorado Economy. Even though a good chunk of the state's economy depends on govt spending via the DOD budget and an overflowing buffet of subsidies to farmers, dairymen, cattlemen, oilmen, etc, we see the SAME federal spending dynamic at work in MOST states, so there's hardly anything about that which is unique to COLO. Let's focus more on the commercial, industrial, agricultural and extractive (mining/drilling) side of our state's economy.

Myself, around me I see economic activity and construction picking up, like the new Wal-Mart data center on the far north end of COLO SPGS, i.e., across I-25 from Falcon Stadium, new apartment complexes going up and various other types of housing and commercial structures. In the next few years, FEDEX will finish its total relocation of all data center ops to our local facility, due in large part to, of all things, our climate, of which the DRY air and cool temps allow them to cool their masses of IT gear way cheaper than they can back in the hot humid east (Memphis, TN in this case), not to mention the LOW utility rates charged by our city-owned utility. IMO we'll see more data center ops coming here for these same reasons.

Bass Pro Shops announced plans to build one of their big box stores up near the FEDEX data center (Voyager Pkwy and North Gate Rd).

Ultra Petroleum starts drilling it's first gas test well on/about 09 March 2012 out on land that's known as the Banning-Lewis Ranch.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-04-2012 at 11:35 AM..

Old 03-13-2012, 06:33 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,350,175 times
I already posted how Pueblo and Fort Collins are leading Colorado out of the recession now today this came across my google alerts about Pueblo.

24/7 Wall St. reports on business and economic trends. It researched Bureau of Labor statistics to find out which cities had the best and worst job growth in 2011. Fort Wayne, Ind., led the country in job growth, with a 6.36 percent increase in 2011, according to the report. Pueblo, Colo., came in second, with a 5.3 percent increase in jobs.

The link: Thankful for jobs, new hires optimistic | Springfield News-Leader | News-Leader.com

Now I know we have a ways to go but this is just more good news. I, also, heard that as many as 3 companies are really looking into Pueblo and I have a feeling there will be some kind of announcement on one of them soon. It looks like the economy is really starting to get better....

Old 03-16-2012, 05:35 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,341,268 times
Mike, Bass Pro shops is building a location in the Springs?! How did I not hear about this? Any confimation on this?

Edit: Found the KRDO news story.
Bass Pro Shops Coming To Colorado Springs - News Story - KRDO Colorado Springs

BTW, have you seen the video of KRDO's Weather girl swearing on live TV? hilarious.

KRDO Weather Reporter Gets Frustrated, Curses (VIDEO)

Old 03-16-2012, 06:01 AM

18,601 posts, read 33,168,447 times
Interesting point about energy costs and lower humidity for cooling equipment. I imagine this affects a great number of businesses.
Now, can I come out there to get rid of humidity for myself?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:31 AM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Mike, Bass Pro shops is building a location in the Springs?! How did I not hear about this? ...

BTW, have you seen the video of KRDO's Weather girl swearing on live TV? hilarious.

KRDO Weather Reporter Gets Frustrated, Curses (VIDEO)
Are you back here in COLO SPGS? Maybe you were out of the country when the story aired.

Yeah, my girl Rachel let fly with a mild outburst, thanks for the link.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:43 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,341,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Are you back here in COLO SPGS? Maybe you were out of the country when the story aired.

Yeah, my girl Rachel let fly with a mild outburst, thanks for the link.
I'm still out of the country, but I'll be back in April for R&R.

I nearly died laughing when I watched that clip. Rachael is the only reason I even watch the news lol

Old 03-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Exclamation Rural Mainstreet Economy Remains Strong

Some good news for the rural part of Colorado. This is good news for them and I hope it continues.

This is from the Waynesville Daily Grind:

OMAHA, Neb. – The March Rural Mainstreet Index (RMI) was unchanged from February’s strong reading of 59.6

Overall: The Rural Mainstreet Index (RMI), which ranges between 0 and 100, was unchanged from February’s strong 59.6. While the index is at a healthy level there continues to be uncertainty among bankers. According to Jim Eckert, president of Anchor State Bank in Anchor, Ill., “Farmers and local businesses are reluctant to expand due to high fuel costs, increasing regulations, and uncertain economic situation.”

This is what it said about Colorado:

Colorado: For the 15th straight month, Colorado’s Rural Mainstreet Index (RMI) remained above growth neutral. The index for March expanded to 63.1 from 54.7 in February. The farmland and ranchland price index grew to 78.0 from February’s 67.8. Colorado’s hiring index for March was 65.7, up from February’s 51.0. Bryan Grove, CEO American State Bank in Grygla, said, “Most farmland sales in our area of Northwest Minnesota, outside of the Red River Valley, have ranged from $1,000 to $1,500 per acre. There have been a few sales approaching $2,000 and some recent listings over $2,500. These prices appear unsustainable in the long run.”

The link: Rural Mainstreet Economy Remains Strong: Cash Ag Land Rents Grow by 8 percent - Waynesville, MO - Waynesville Daily Guide (http://www.waynesvilledailyguide.com/news/business/x1612624157/Rural-Mainstreet-Economy-Remains-Strong-Cash-Ag-Land-Rents-Grow-by-8-percent - broken link)

Old 03-17-2012, 10:38 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Well, I hate to burst your bubble, Josseppie, but the rural economic growth that has recently occurred was caused by a combination of high farm commodity prices and some exceptionally good harvests over the last couple of years. For Colorado, that latter piece is likely to come to a crashing halt this year because of the drought gripping much of the state, and because of the looming increase in fuel costs this spring and summer.

As to the increase of rural farmland prices, much of that is being driven by investment trusts eagerly buying up farmland, especially in the most productive regions of the United States. The dirty little secret about those trusts is that most of the money is foreign--much of it out of the oil producing countries of the Mideast. (Most of those investment trusts require a MINIMUM investment per investor of $250K to $1 million in cash--they're not for the average American. This information from a business contact of mine who specializes in finding farms and ranches for these trusts to purchase.) So, now we have an increasing chunk of one of America's most necessary and productive industries being controlled by the same "benevolent" folks that have us over a barrel (excuse the pun) with oil imports. Am I the only one that finds that a little disturbing? This is how a formerly great country gets turned back into a "colony" again, with its productive assets controlled by foreign interests who don't give a damn about the welfare of the country's inhabitants. Seems like we started a revolution over that kind of treatment back in 1776 . . .

Old 03-17-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Well, I hate to burst your bubble, Josseppie, but the rural economic growth that has recently occurred was caused by a combination of high farm commodity prices and some exceptionally good harvests over the last couple of years. For Colorado, that latter piece is likely to come to a crashing halt this year because of the drought gripping much of the state, and because of the looming increase in fuel costs this spring and summer.

As to the increase of rural farmland prices, much of that is being driven by investment trusts eagerly buying up farmland, especially in the most productive regions of the United States. The dirty little secret about those trusts is that most of the money is foreign--much of it out of the oil producing countries of the Mideast. (Most of those investment trusts require a MINIMUM investment per investor of $250K to $1 million in cash--they're not for the average American. This information from a business contact of mine who specializes in finding farms and ranches for these trusts to purchase.) So, now we have an increasing chunk of one of America's most necessary and productive industries being controlled by the same "benevolent" folks that have us over a barrel (excuse the pun) with oil imports. Am I the only one that finds that a little disturbing? This is how a formerly great country gets turned back into a "colony" again, with its productive assets controlled by foreign interests who don't give a damn about the welfare of the country's inhabitants. Seems like we started a revolution over that kind of treatment back in 1776 . . .
All of that is speculation and since I don't study the rural economy all that closely I can't really comment on it. What I can say is the farmers east of Pueblo are planting and seem encouraged for a good season. So far Colorado has had 15 months where the main street Index (RMI) has remained above growth neutral so it will be interesting to see if it will continue thru the summer and into the fall.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Well, I hate to burst your bubble, Josseppie, but the rural economic growth that has recently occurred was caused by a combination of high farm commodity prices and some exceptionally good harvests over the last couple of years. ... Am I the only one that finds that a little disturbing? This is how a formerly great country gets turned back into a "colony" again, with its productive assets controlled by foreign interests who don't give a damn about the welfare of the country's inhabitants. Seems like we started a revolution over that kind of treatment back in 1776 . . .
No, you are not alone in this feeling of deja vu. Many of us in Rural USA recognize the cycle, and have identified the enemy (US - A?). Erosion from within. Politic'ing for self, not for self-less public service.

In my region we have allowed foriegn entities to come in and build massive wind energy systems that flow a few taxes and payments locally and take the profits and RUN.... very short sighted energy (and sustainbility) plan. Foreign investors are far too strategic for our (USA) good. Not looking pretty.

Why, oh why we couldn't have done 'community owned power' as in MN and IA

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-17-2012 at 05:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado