Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 04:04 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
No, you are not alone in this feeling of deja vu. Many of us in Rural USA recognize the cycle, and have idenntitied the enemy (US - A?). Erosion from within. Politic'ing for self, not for self-less public service.

In my region we have allowed foriegn entities to come in and build massive wind energy systems that flow a few taxes and payments locally and take the profits and RUN.... very short sighted energy (and sustainbility) plan. Foreign investors are far too strategic for our (USA) good. Not looking pretty.

Why, oh why we couldn't have done 'community owned power' as in MN and IA
I have no problem with foreign investors in fact I welcome it. In Pueblo the Danish company Vesta's has built the worlds largest plant for wind towers and the Russian company Evraz own the steel mile (Evraz rocky mountain steel) and they are pouring millions of dollars to upgrade the "mini mill" including but not limited to building a new rail mill. Today it is the most profitable of any time in its 140 year history. That says a lot considering what happened to the steel industry in the U.S during the 1980's.

If your state and especially city is able to attract out of state or country investors that says a lot about how people from around the world view the long term economic stability of where you live. Trust me they want to make money and if they did not feel it was worth the risk then they would not be risking millions of their money. Plus while its true they live over seas the plant and jobs are in your community and that is where the economic impact is.

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-17-2012 at 04:15 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 04:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I have no problem with foreign investors in fact I welcome it. In Pueblo the Danish company Vesta's ... the Russian company Evraz ... Trust me they want to make money and if they did not feel it was worth the risk then they would not be risking millions of their money. Plus while its true they live over seas the plant and jobs are in your community and that is where the economic impact is.
I trust them (foriegn investors), but I don't trust our public officials who are making short-sighted deals and concessions to enhance this profitability at taxpayer expense. WE (USA) will be buying these businesses back at highly inflated USD valuations based on Taxpayer Subsidies to these industries...

As I type this note, Vestas is less than a stone's throw to my left, and Evraz a long reach to my right (where they bought the very profitable parent to previous CS&I).

I appreciate foriegn investment and the confidence these companies have in our country. It is not so ez to do business in their countries.

You did note the response of Vestas to the potential loss of renewable energy credit subsidies?

Regretfully, I see a lot of silent windmills in 20 yrs. (parts needed, depreciation / payback realized, costs too high to repair / operate)

Old 03-17-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I trust them (foriegn investors), but I don't trust our public officials who are making short-sighted deals and concessions to enhance this profitability at taxpayer expense. WE (USA) will be buying these businesses back at highly inflated USD valuations based on Taxpayer Subsidies to these industries...
That is a different topic and I will leave that debate to the politics forum. The only thing I will say is I like the fact Pueblo has a 1/2 cent sales tax to help bring in primary jobs and since it is voted in by the people its not the government telling us what to do.

Quote:
As I type this note, Vestas is less than a stone's throw to my left, and Evraz a long reach to my right (where they bought the very profitable parent to previous CS&I).

I appreciate foreign investment and the confidence these companies have in our country. It is not so ez to do business in their countries.
To this day I never thought the steel mill would be profitable again. Evraz is a great company and I am proud to have them in Pueblo.

Quote:
You did note the response of Vestas to the potential loss of renewable energy credit subsidies?
That is the standard response of any company that is going to lose a tax credit. The steel mill said they same thing and they have only added more jobs. Don't get me wrong I think it would be foolish for the government not to extend the tax credit but I am not sure it would be as bad ad the company is making it out to be.

Quote:
Regretfully, I see a lot of silent windmills in 20 yrs. (parts needed, depreciation / payback realized, costs too high to repair / operate)
This is really a debate for a different thread as well. The only thing I will say is I think in 20 years it will be the exact opposite as you describe.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:04 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
In 20 years we'll know made the right GUESS!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Exclamation State says revenue growth higher than expected

The Colorado economy continues to show signs of improvement. The latest bit of good news is about the revenue as it is higher then expected.

I have a feeling that there is a lot more good news to come this year as I hear a lot about what is going on, at least in Pueblo, and a lot of it is good.

This is from the Pueblo Chieftain:

The governor’s office today said the state’s projected growth in quarterly revenue is up $164.5 million, a greater amount than planners had anticipated. Roxanne White, Gov. John Hickenlooper’s chief of staff, told The Pueblo Chieftain editorial board that the amount was 2.2 percent higher than expected. “That’s good news. We’re seeing increases in capital gains. We’re seeing increases in self-employed paying taxes and small- and medium-sized business taxes,” White said. “That’s where the revenue is coming from.”

The link: State says revenue growth higher than expected - The Pueblo Chieftain: Colorado State And Regional News

Old 03-20-2012, 05:41 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
The economy must be getting better. I saw a story on the news about some guy who came out here from Indianapolis and got a job that pays him almost $20 million a year.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 AM

Talking Colorado business leaders more confident about economy

Some more good news for the Colorado economy.

This is from the Denver Business Journal:

Optimism is growing among Colorado business leaders going into the second quarter, suggesting an economic recovery is taking hold, according to the most recent quarterly Leeds Business Confidence Index released Tuesday by the University of Colorado at Boulder Leeds School of Business. For the second quarter, the LBCI posted a reading of 62.2, up from 54.5 last quarter. Business leaders are optimistic about all of the metrics measured by the quarterly index, which include industry sales and profits, capital expenditures and hiring plans, and national and state economic growth. An index reading of 50 is neutral. A reading greater than 50 indicates positive expectations, while one lower than 50 indicates negative expectations.

The link: Colorado business leaders more confident about economy - Denver Business Journal

Here is a link to the full report by CU - Boulder. It is in PDF format.

http://leeds.colorado.edu/asset/publ...n/2012beof.pdf

Old 04-05-2012, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,541 times
I hope you are right Josseppie. Last year we waited over 45 minutes to put our boat in the water and 1 1/2 hours to get it out. Long lines of rude, offensive people everywhere is making this state no fun. I was born and raised here and plan to sell and move as soon as we can so hopefully these jobs are sustainable.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:53 PM

Talking Rocla Concrete Tie, Inc.

I just got back from the announcement.

Rocla Concrete Tie is moving their headquarters from Denver to Pueblo. They will need over 150 construction workers then over 100 permanent employees. They will locate in in the industrial park south of town where Vesta's is. It should be in the paper tomorrow and I will have more information on Pueblo's newest corporate headquarters.

This is from their web page:

Rocla Concrete Tie, Inc. is the leading manufacturer of prestressed concrete railroad ties in the United States. Rocla Concrete Tie, Inc has manufactured prestressed concrete railroad ties and turnout ties for Class I railroads, commuter passenger operations, transit authorities and industrial operations nationwide. Rocla Concrete Tie, Inc. and its predecessor companies have manufactured prestressed concrete ties for the past fifty years. Rocla Concrete Tie, Inc. has more combined experience manufacturing prestressed concrete railroad ties than any other manufacturer operating in the United States. Rocla Concrete Tie, Inc. has three manufacturing facilities geographically located to supply concrete ties competitively anywhere in North America. RCTI’s corporate headquarters are located in Denver, Colorado *(Now Pueblo Colorado). RCTI has three manufacturing plants located in Denver, Colorado, Bear, Delaware and Amarillo, Texas.

We pride ourselves on having state of the art manufacturing facilities, precise and accurate quality control, timely delivery and a commitment of service to all customers.

The link: About Rocla Concrete Tie

* I added that part in bold

Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I just got back from the announcement.

Rocla Concrete Tie is moving their headquarters from Denver to Pueblo. They will need over 150 construction workers then over 100 permanent employees. They will locate in in the industrial park south of town where Vesta's is. It should be in the paper tomorrow and I will have more information on Pueblo's newest corporate headquarters.
Ahh, these are the guys who are selling their plant to RTD in order to build the Commuter Rail Maintenance Facility for FasTracks.

Pueblo actually is getting the HQ and the relocated manufacturing facility, hence why the location in the industrial park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado