Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:40 AM

36 posts, read 101,291 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Pueblo from Evansville, In and just wondering how the city is. Is there alot to do around and is it far to go skiing. How is finding jobs I know I can get one but wondering about the wife finding a good job there. We would also like to get some land not much so how far do you have to go out of town to get it halfway decent price.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-06-2010 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 04:27 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Finding a job can be tough in Pueblo is just depends what your wife is looking to do. Some places are hiring like call centers and resturants but it just depends on what she wants to do.

I think there is a lot to do in Pueblo but that depends on your perspective. Let me know what you like to do and I can be more helpful.

Its not far to go skiing. 2 hours to Monarch and 3 hours to Summit County.

It depends on how much land you want but Pueblo is one of the cheapest place to buy a house in the country. If you don't want to live in the city then Pueblo West has large lots and is very inexpensive as well.

If you have more question or want more detailed information just ask. I, also, suggest you look at this thread I started on Pueblo as it might be helpful.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...-colorado.html

Old 12-06-2010, 07:39 PM

she works at a aluminum smelter as a planner/safety and also a crew leader. we like to ride bikes/dirtbikes also play with the dogs

Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 PM

There are a lot of places you can take your bike/ dirt bike around Pueblo and the city Park has a dog park. As far as your wife Pueblo is home to Rocky Mountain Steel Mill and they employ 1,000 people plus Vesta's employs about 500 as well as power plants and a new one is being built north of the airport. On top of that the airport industrial park is home to a few manufacturing companies. I have heard that more suppliers are going to be moving into the Pueblo area but that has yet to happen.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:54 AM

thanks for the info. I have heard Colorado does not pay that much for jobs. I can see that cause alot of people want to live out there like myself. Is what I have heard true? I mean money isn't everything but I do like my toys and all.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:53 PM

I am not sure what you mean by "Colorado does not pay that much for jobs"?

Speaking of Rocky Mountain Steel Mill in Pueblo I heard today that EVRAZ may expand the plant in Pueblo and hire as many as 1,000 new employees. I, also, heard they opened a new office in Colorado Springs back in October and signed a 5 year lease @ the plaza of the rockies.

My thoughts are yes they are looking into this and it could happen in 2011. As you might or might not know Rocky Mountain Steel produces Rail in Pueblo for trains and light rail. In fact they produced the rail line used in the Denver area for their light rail. What I have heard is Rocky Mountain Steel wants to build a larger factory to produce rail lines 1/2 mile long as currently no one in North America can produce rail that big. I have not heard any numbers but if it was to mean 1,000 more people that would be a HUGE boost to the Pueblo area and bring their employment level to over 2,000 people. I have, also, heard from PEDCo that they are working with a few solar companies interested in looking to move to Pueblo and some kind of announcement could be soon. One thing to note is all of these companies are "clean industry" and that is good for Pueblo in my opinion.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1050 View Post
thanks for the info. I have heard Colorado does not pay that much for jobs. I can see that cause alot of people want to live out there like myself. Is what I have heard true? I mean money isn't everything but I do like my toys and all.
The best paying jobs in the state are in Denver for the most part. Not to say you couldn't find a good employment opportunity somewhere else, but it's less likely to happen. And landing a job anywhere, Denver included, is excruciatingly hard.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I am not sure what you mean by "Colorado does not pay that much for jobs"?

Speaking of Rocky Mountain Steel Mill in Pueblo I heard today that EVRAZ may expand the plant in Pueblo and hire as many as 1,000 new employees. I, also, heard they opened a new office in Colorado Springs back in October and signed a 5 year lease @ the plaza of the rockies.

My thoughts are yes they are looking into this and it could happen in 2011. As you might or might not know Rocky Mountain Steel produces Rail in Pueblo for trains and light rail. In fact they produced the rail line used in the Denver area for their light rail. What I have heard is Rocky Mountain Steel wants to build a larger factory to produce rail lines 1/2 mile long as currently no one in North America can produce rail that big. I have not heard any numbers but if it was to mean 1,000 more people that would be a HUGE boost to the Pueblo area and bring their employment level to over 2,000 people. I have, also, heard from PEDCo that they are working with a few solar companies interested in looking to move to Pueblo and some kind of announcement could be soon. One thing to note is all of these companies are "clean industry" and that is good for Pueblo in my opinion.
I made a error. The building will be 1/2 mile long but the rail will be 481 feet long. That will still be the longest rail produced in North America.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:44 AM

19 posts, read 51,131 times
Default Perfect place EXCEPT for Violent Crime

We live in Pueblo West and absolutely LOVE the area with mountain views, plenty of nature to see nearby and trails to go on, lowwwww house prices, and lots of elbow room, HOWEVER we are moving asap. WHY? You cannot live in Pueblo West without going into Pueblo for work, stores, etc. and violent crime in Pueblo is the worst in all of Colorado. The numbers on this site kinda don't paint clear picture as it is 75% more dangerous than Colorado Springs and has increased 42% in 3 years. Go to FBI site and check violent crime. For 2009 it was about 850 per 100,000. Aside form that we bought a foreclosure for $165,000 on one acre in Pueblo West at end of road on cul-de-sac, next to open giant field, has 5 bed, 3 full bath, master ensuite with jet tub, 2 car garage, fully finished basement, landscaped and sprinkller setup front yard, and only 5 years old when we bought it. All that with sweeping mountain views from anywhere in back yard/patio. And I have never shovelled snow in 3 years and sold snowblower before moving here yet see snow in mountains and can drive 30 minutes to snow in winter. Really hard to beat the area for the money but violent crime is serious issue for us since we still have to work and have very young kids who will grow up in this area. Will it change? Not hardly, we hoped since police chief FINALLY retired, but then city did not do real recruiting for high caliber replacement and even then 3 candidate finalist (of about 7) who were from out of state all dropped out within days of each other after investigating department and learning about management of it by city. All 3 said essentially same thing - department was too messed up in structure city had laid out and personnel employed in department and none were things a new chief would be allowed to alter. The county sheriff is sad joke too, but if you are in the acreage area of Pueblo West the crime is very low and area is quiet so no worries. If we didnt have kids and were retired we would stay and never go into Pueblo, but that is not the case. I hate to think hispanic culture affect crime but all the cities in southwest we investigated that we liked, we then found high violent crime (anything above 330 per 100,000) and also coincidentally found hispanic pop. to be 20% or hhigher. Pueblo is about 50% (reported). However if it is extremely high such as 90% we found the city to be very safe. Don't know why both those things would be true but held true every single city we checked into in south west. I personally have had 2 no shows by Pueblo police on 911 calls and was threatened by Pueblo County sheriff deputies if I pressed charges against a guy who punched his arm through rear window of my vehicle RIGHT BESIDE BABY SEAT!!! I cornered guy and kept him there till cops arrived, he had blood running from arm, and admitted doing it, but cops were so insistent I dont press charges (keeps violent crime numbers lower that way) they threatened to arrest me if I pressed charges against the guy. They NEVER said what they would arrest me for and like scum they were they always danced around specifics. I ended up having to get a lawyer to get guy to have to pay fro window, legal fees, and time since cops were no help. So, the one bad thing about area can be big thing, just depends on your situation and how much you go out to town.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:48 PM

Plus I never feel unsafe in Pueblo and trust me if I did I would not be living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado