Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 02:43 PM

111 posts, read 575,067 times

Advertisements

I found a house to rent in Ken Caryl in Littleton, through a real estate company called Distinctive Dwelling. Has anyone heard of this company (good/bad?) They have a website, and I visited their offices and everything looks legit. I checked the Jefferson County appraiser office website, and the owners listed on the lease check out as the legitimate owners. But how do you find out if the house may be going into foreclosure? I'm just a little nervous about rental scams you hear about (like people renting the same house to SEVERAL people, the house about to be foreclosed, etc.) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
If you're renting from a licensed, reputable company, you don't have to worry about any sort of scam. What you read about are people who meet you at houses they don't own, or a coffee shop, only take cash, etc. If you're dealing with a company with an office and real people, you're worrying over nothing.

Steve

Old 07-12-2007, 09:37 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Look at the Jefferson County Clerk & Recorder's page for a NOD. That said, if there is a notice of foreclosure, you will get many letters from the attorney in the mail.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 14,877 times
Default Don't be tricked

My husband and I recently moved into a house. Now... two weeks later we received a letter in the mail telling us that our house was foreclosed (Sold Oct 2--less than 1 week after moving in). We did our homework. We hired a realtor to help us. The "owner" also had a realtor. The house was being managed by a "reputable" property manager. Oh yeah, we even met the guy and his 4 year old kid.

But now we have to hire a lawyer to get out of this mess. But we are also going to make sure that we have something in our contract next time to try to avoid this. --Not sure exactly what that entails but this is a nightmare!

Good luck!

Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 PM

113 posts, read 720,076 times
Wow.

This is an eye opener. I am in the process of selling my house, and relocating to Colorado. We plan on renting first, to find the proper area, before we buy, and in a location with a good commute to work. I never even thought of this scenario. This is something to think about, and to beware of.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:19 PM

385 posts, read 1,575,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evicted Erin View Post
My husband and I recently moved into a house. Now... two weeks later we received a letter in the mail telling us that our house was foreclosed (Sold Oct 2--less than 1 week after moving in). We did our homework. We hired a realtor to help us. The "owner" also had a realtor. The house was being managed by a "reputable" property manager. Oh yeah, we even met the guy and his 4 year old kid.

But now we have to hire a lawyer to get out of this mess. But we are also going to make sure that we have something in our contract next time to try to avoid this. --Not sure exactly what that entails but this is a nightmare!

Good luck!

Erin,
I want to thank you for posting this information... I'm sure many future renters will thank you as well.
Question - did you sign a lease? Is the lease being broken due to the foreclosure? Will you lose your deposit?
What did your realtor say about all this?
It's getting to the point that no one is to be trusted anymore...and it's shameful.

I feel badly for you, and wish the best for you and yours.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 14,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieClaire View Post
Erin,
I want to thank you for posting this information... I'm sure many future renters will thank you as well.
Question - did you sign a lease? Is the lease being broken due to the foreclosure? Will you lose your deposit?
What did your realtor say about all this?
It's getting to the point that no one is to be trusted anymore...and it's shameful.

I feel badly for you, and wish the best for you and yours.
I hope that this will help others...

I did sign a lease through an established real estate company. The lease has been dissolved because the house was foreclosed. Fortunately (or really unfortunately for us), we just moved here two weeks ago so the owner did not get our deposit. So we will be getting that back.

The real estate company told us, “I hope that you are not mad at us… there is nothing that we could do to detect this.” After talking to a number of people (and through my own assumption) it sounds like they should have detected this. We will be talking with a lawyer soon to get more information.

[SIZE=3]I will post any recommendations that I hear from the lawyer about not getting into this situation. [/SIZE]

Old 10-13-2007, 04:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Your situation sounds awful. My sympathies with your having to find another place and move again! Ugh! We have rented houses in the past and did not have this problem (though one was sold before we were really ready to move out). I don't know how common this situation is.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:16 PM

139 posts, read 530,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evicted Erin View Post

Good luck!
This has happened several times here in Phoenix, that I have heard of. You rent a house, probably owned by a speculator, and make payments for awhile. Then, you learn the house is being foreclosed, because the owner wasn't making his payments. You are kicked out, and you lose your deposit.
Be careful of all these houses owned by speculators. They have a negative cash flow in renting them. They are just trying to hold on.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:35 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times
We're so sorry for you and your family. I'm so glad you shared this experience...we would have NEVER thought about any of this. We are due to move to CO and rent too. Please know that if there is one potential positive, it would be that you have helped open several people's eyes! It's so sad that there are people who seem to have no hesitation about stepping on others for financial/personal gain. You guys are in our thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado