Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 05:51 PM

57 posts, read 149,922 times

Advertisements

So on a part of a road trip, my girlfriend and I will be coming through CO. We will be spending a night in CO springs then heading west.

She has been reading articles of altitude sickness but cannot find anything about its effects while driving, only hiking.

We plan to drive from 8,700 feet at Idaho Spring up to 14,240 feet at Mount Evans and I am curious if in the course of a few hours if any effect kind be seen on the body other than short of breath?

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 05:55 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesbittaudia4 View Post
So on a part of a road trip, my girlfriend and I will be coming through CO. We will be spending a night in CO springs then heading west.

She has been reading articles of altitude sickness but cannot find anything about its effects while driving, only hiking.

We plan to drive from 8,700 feet at Idaho Spring up to 14,240 feet at Mount Evans and I am curious if in the course of a few hours if any effect kind be seen on the body other than short of breath?

Any ideas?
Altitude sickness doesn't typically manifest when you're driving. A vast majority of the people who are stricken by it come up from lower elevations and immediately start doing strenuous activities like hiking. As long as you take it easy and stay hydrated you should be fine.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:53 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Are you sure that you've got your itinerary plan right?

Idaho Springs is WEST of Denver, not Colorado Springs.

Altitude sickness manifests itself in many different ways, depending upon many different factors.

For some people, even being at the altitude for awhile will bring on headaches, etc. There's a 15% lesser amount of oxygen in the atmosphere in Denver than sea level, and substantially less when you are above 12,000'.

As a guideline for normally healthy people in good shape, the FAA standards for pilots require the use of supplemental oxygen after 30 minutes above 12,500', and it's manditory full time above 14,000' in non-pressurized aircraft. Their studies show diminished cognitive skills along with other effects of hypoxia to be fairly common for those who are acclimated to sea level conditions reaching these altitudes.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:50 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
I moved here to Colorado Springs just a year ago. And, much to my surprise (since I had been in the Canadian Rockies just a very few years before) it affected me almost immediately. Heavier breathing, minor dizziness, and my blood pressure skyrocketed for the first few weeks, and was problematic for several months. Now, I was 61 and out of shape. But it just depends on the person.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:56 PM

well.... I guess i won't be hiking around then

I'll stick to taking pictures and taking it slow up and down the road.

Is it possible to "buy supplemental oxygen"?? I assume so, but where, how much, etc?

Old 06-18-2011, 08:22 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
I visited Colorado about two weeks ago - coming from living at sea level - and didn't experience any issues other than a nosebleed and some popping of ears when driving up several mountains. We didn't get any higher than Flagstaff Mountain though, near Boulder, so probably not even into the 10's of thousands of feet.

I seriously doubt that supplemental oxygen would be needed even at 14,000 feet. You should probably just exercise caution, especially with physical activity, and pay attention to how you are feeling (especially the higher up you go). Drink water, take deep breaths, and avoid alcohol.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:50 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times
Altitude affects everyone differently. Driving through the mountains shouldn't give you any major problems, although ear popping is very common. Even those of us who have lived here our entire lives get the ear popping when driving in the mountains.

Idaho Springs proper isn't quite 8,700' - it's closer to 7,500' - but you are likely to experience some altitude-related impairment if you're vigorously walking around downtown. It's a neat town steeped in lots of great mining history and I definitely encourage checking it out. There are several good restaurants with that mountain town vibe that makes them so charming. While cliche, a favorite stop-over for us is Beau Jo's on the way home from a strenuous day of hiking. Thousands of others share the same routine. There isn't much better than some thick, hearty pizza and a freezing glass of local brew after a long day on the trail.

If you've never driven Mt. Evans Scenic Byway before, please be advised that the road has numerous steep drop-offs with no guardrails anywhere. It is entirely paved, but still requires undivided attention - paved roads, for some reason, give people a strange sense of security - it can still be dangerous. The road is obnoxiously popular during the summer, so you're guaranteed to be sharing it with lots of other people. Sometimes you can't avoid it, but if you spot wildlife or want to take photos, please pull over to one of the many spurs in the road and take your photos from there. Some days there are mountain goats and bighorn sheep everywhere and sometimes you won't see one animal at all.

Regarding altitude, it is the highest paved road in North America and one of the highest in the world. The road itself ends just north of 14,000' with the final 250' or so to the summit requiring a short hike. While it's short, do NOT underestimate the altitude. After a few years of not really doing any high altitude hiking, I paid a visit last summer to the summit and found the jaunt very taxing, as I had not properly acclimated myself to higher elevations. Take your time, be mindful of what your body can handle and you should be just fine - thousands of people from all over the world do it every year. If you experience dizziness, lightheadedness and/or a sudden, severe headache, retreat quickly. Altitude sickness can be very dangerous, but getting back to a lower elevation should end any symptoms.

Entry to the byway will cost you $10 and is good for a week, I believe. I highly recommend a trip there, as there are few places like it accessible by vehicle.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:05 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
If you are healthy you will probably not notice anything while driving. Once you get out at the top of the Mt Evans road and walk up to the top (~5min) you may feel a little lightheaded, which is normal, even for people who live in Colorado.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:57 AM

Thanks for the input and Nickman7, I was just quoting the Mt evans website for the elevation. I will have to check out Idaho springs on the return before we head west for Moab, UT

Old 06-19-2011, 09:11 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Altitude sickness can happen to anyone, regardless of current health or fitness. I've seen it strike all types.

Shortness of breath is going to be an issue for anyone not adjusted and you just have to pace yourself and understand that normal exertions that you take for granted at low altitude are going to require more effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado