Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 06:53 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times

Advertisements

I have been internet searching for years of where to move to get out of the relentless heat of Texas and the stupid thunderstorms with tornado threats. Yes, the weather is usually great from November to early April and even when it snows, it's delightful. I just can't take this heat anymore. It's so depressing. I have finally decided that west is best and one state I've never really delved into is Colorado because I figured it would be too expensive and way too crowded. Perhaps I was wrong as last weekend, my great-nephew and his family picked up their dog who has been living in Texas for three years and took her to Aurora. He is stationed in the Navy and lived in San Diego for three years, Aurora before that and now back to Aurora. Anyway, they were telling me the cost of living isn't that bad in many areas. I'm not sure about all areas being overrun with people in my lifetime. I'm 62 so who knows how long I'll be around. Another thing is that CO isn't too far from my family in Texas, so traveling back and forth won't be such a chore. NM was looking good for a while, but the crime rate there has totally changed my mind.

I don't have any interest in any big city and have found Pueblo County to be interesting but only small towns like Rye or Colorado City. I checked out the weather for a year and the temperatures look quite nice to me. What I'm looking for is pretty simple and I'm open to any town that fits my criteria. I guess I'll have to stay in Texas for a few more years until I retire but then again, I'm open to working for a few more years elsewhere. I work in a high school office and would love to continue working in the school system for a few more years.

..mountain views

..rainfall of at least 20+ inches

..snowfall okay, but not an enormous amount (Colorado City's average is 65 inches) ... not sure if that's too much or not

..small home under $100,000 (just found a really cute one in Rye with gorgeous views of the mountains ... I want it now!!)

..no flood-prone areas

..terrific air quality

..low crime

..no flat and desert areas / need trees

I'm sure there is more to consider, but these are at the top of the list. I don't care about shopping, eating out, hospitals close by, etc.

If any of you would be so kind and give me advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I have been reading many threads, but I thought I'd start my own anyway. I hope no one minds and is thinking, "Oh, here we go again!" Thanks bunches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 07:27 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
If you want to get away from thunderstorms, stay out of Colorado-- most summers there are potential afternoon thunderstorms daily which can often get ferocious-- just about anywhere in the state-- plains and mountains. In the populated areas of the Front Range, there is also a risk of tornadoes as well, although not as high as being further east on the plains and the tornadoes that do happen usually aren't as deadly.

To get away from thunderstorms you need to live in the west coast-- CA, OR, or WA.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:35 AM

I know CO has thunderstorms, but they don't get that many tornadoes and if there are any, they're not biggies like occur in Texas, as you said. When you say, "ferocious" does that mean high winds and lots of hail and lightning? Believe me, in Texas they are horrible.

I'm originally from CA and unfortunately, I can't afford to live there now. I shouldn't have ever left, but that's a topic for another conversation.

I've considered ID and UT as potential moves and even touched on OR and WA, but now CO seems to deserve my research as well. I may never leave this place but until I've researched all aspects, I'll keep looking. Of course, I certainly don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Another thing about OR and WA ... Too many dreary days in the prettiest spots and CO is full of sunshine.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:53 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
When you say, "ferocious" does that mean high winds and lots of hail and lightning?
Yes-- all the above.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:56 AM

I did hear that Corvallis, OR has the least natural disaster risk in the entire country.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:11 AM

169 posts, read 373,280 times
OP, allow me to spread some sunshine your way. I won't comment directly to your "wants" list because it sounds like you all you're looking for is affirmation that they can be found in Colorado. Fortunately, I'm here to give you that affirmation . While you may not find all of your wants in one particular location, the chances of finding it somewhere in Colorado are higher than anywhere else in the country, in my opinion. My wife and I, both in our forties, want to be close to both the desert, AND the mountains. Hmmmm, but where to find such a place? You don't get that combination in too many places, but Durango offers them both, and within a few miles of one another. We decided earlier this week to leave behind everything we have ever known in Kentucky for the uncertainty of a new life in Durango. We have visited Colorado many times, hoping the stars would align just perfectly and signal the time was right for us to move. But there is no "right time", we either do something, or we don't, and we've finally decided to do. To quote Red from Shawshank, it was time for us to "Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'". Good luck to you.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:37 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,015,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
If you want to get away from thunderstorms, stay out of Colorado-- most summers there are potential afternoon thunderstorms daily which can often get ferocious-- just about anywhere in the state-- plains and mountains. In the populated areas of the Front Range, there is also a risk of tornadoes as well, although not as high as being further east on the plains and the tornadoes that do happen usually aren't as deadly.

To get away from thunderstorms you need to live in the west coast-- CA, OR, or WA.

Yes we get afternoon storms but they are nothing like Texas and Tornados are not common at all.

Canine you would love it here. I saw it was already 101 and 80 in the evenings until 3AM. OMG I feel so bad for you.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:44 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I know CO has thunderstorms, but they don't get that many tornadoes and if there are any, they're not biggies like occur in Texas, as you said. When you say, "ferocious" does that mean high winds and lots of hail and lightning? Believe me, in Texas they are horrible.

I'm originally from CA and unfortunately, I can't afford to live there now. I shouldn't have ever left, but that's a topic for another conversation.

I've considered ID and UT as potential moves and even touched on OR and WA, but now CO seems to deserve my research as well. I may never leave this place but until I've researched all aspects, I'll keep looking. Of course, I certainly don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Another thing about OR and WA ... Too many dreary days in the prettiest spots and CO is full of sunshine.
Lots of rain and lots of sunshine is a problem. You kind of have to make the choice between a wet or a sunny place.

Regardless, I think what you are looking for is the mountains of WA or OR. More trees, more rain, less snow, less thunderstorms/tornados, lower property values.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Yes we get afternoon storms but they are nothing like Texas and Tornados are not common at all.

Canine you would love it here. I saw it was already 101 and 80 in the evenings until 3AM. OMG I feel so bad for you.
Hey Cupcake,

Thanks for the post. It's miserable. We've already had over 35 days of 90+ degrees and most in the high 90s. Within that time frame, there have been 13 days of 100+ degrees and NO RAIN. It is supposed to be 104 degrees again today where I am a bit south of Dallas. Of course as you know, the people up there say it makes a huge difference in temperature between Dallas and my area 75 miles south. Denial, delusional ... It's just nuts. It was still 84 at 1:00 a.m. and didn't drop below 80 during the night. It's very depressing.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Lots of rain and lots of sunshine is a problem. You kind of have to make the choice between a wet or a sunny place.

Regardless, I think what you are looking for is the mountains of WA or OR. More trees, more rain, less snow, less thunderstorms/tornados, lower property values.
Actually, one can have both. The average where I live in Texas is about 36 inches of rainfall. I'm only asking for 20 inches plus, not up to 50 inches like in WA and OR. That's a bit too much for me because it rains too often and therefore, there is less sunshine. I don't think I'd mind the less sunshine, but I don't want it to be wet so much. Even with all our rain, we get many sunny days but from May to October, I would love it to be cloudy. This Texas sun at this time of the year is deadly.

You are right though about the storms, less further west and more trees too. As I mentioned in my initial post, Rye or Colorado City have about 20 inches of rain and more sunny days.

Does anyone have any comments about the small towns in Pueblo County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado