Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 03:59 PM

5 posts, read 7,915 times

Advertisements

So I am currently in NE. Iv been to Colorado 13-14 times and I really like it. So soon I will be going to college and Colorado seems like a good choice. Iv thought about Colorado mountain college mainley in Leadville and possibly Steamboat. I dont know which would be better because I'v heard some bad things about Leadville. Although I'v been there and I liked it. Now I also love snowboarding, and doing outdoor things. So I'm wondering if you have any opinions of these places or maybe better towns/college choices. I'v also been to Granby and RMNP and liked it up there also. This past month I was in Gunnison and really liked Crested Butte so again give your opinions on which of these is the best choise. My other questions is about Cars and Mountains/snow. First whenever I'v gone I'v had V8 or V6 and they've always done fine, but people have said 4 cylinders bad up there because they're strugglig to get up and rev highly the whole time so tell me what you think is best. Also is 4WD or AWD a better choice?. And lastly, I was wondering if most people switch to winter tires or stay with all season. So please try and answer most/all of these ?'s
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 04:37 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Mountain schools 101

Not that I always have, but when it comes to college you may wish to select the school first, and location second.

Colorado Mountain College may suite you, at least for the first two years, although I would not exactly know. Western State College in Gunnison is said to be a fine school, but again, it would depend on what your major and future plans are. Since thinking of the mountains, you might also consider Fort Lewis College in Durango; it enjoys a magnificent setting, is a good school in general, with of course easy access to all the charms of Durango, and not far removed some fine skiing at Purgatory Ski Area, and beyond at Silverton Mountain.

No idea where you might be attending school if over in Granby. But if liking Rocky Mountain National Park well enough, then you might consider either of the major and excellent universities at Boulder or Fort Collins. Although the caveat that the major ski areas are a good drive from either local, particularly Fort Collins. The closest would be Eldora Ski Area, just outside of Nederland. It is a smaller area, but with a certain local charm. Otherwise, up off with everyone else in the longer drive to Summit County.

Those you've encountered dismissing 4 cylinder cars for mountain driving are idiots. Such a vehicle can work perfectly fine, although better if the engine not seriously undersized. You do not need some honking V-8 truck, and indeed would be better served and safer if driving a 4 cylinder Subaru AWD. Front wheel drive will prove perfectly adequate, with AWD preferable in the snow if you have the option. True 4x4 is only necessary if you plan on blazing trails off plowed and paved roads.

Aside from a semi-decent vehicle, and in fact probably more so in importance, would be the tires you use. The specific model of brand you choose is very important, as not all tires created equal. Dedicated winter tires will provide the best traction on snow and ice, with again differences in their capability. But good all-season mud and snow tires can be a good compromise, and get you there safely.

Which speaking of which, when it comes to winter driving the most important piece of equipment is the operator behind the wheel. Stay home sometimes if the option and it looks really nasty outside. When driving on snow, above all else slow down. Oh, and watch out for all the other questionable drivers who ignore all this. The above a brief introduction to winter driving 101. Something probably not in the course curriculum of any school you may end up attending.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:57 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschultz14 View Post
So I am currently in NE. Iv been to Colorado 13-14 times and I really like it. So soon I will be going to college and Colorado seems like a good choice. Iv thought about Colorado mountain college mainley in Leadville and possibly Steamboat. I dont know which would be better because I'v heard some bad things about Leadville. Although I'v been there and I liked it. Now I also love snowboarding, and doing outdoor things. So I'm wondering if you have any opinions of these places or maybe better towns/college choices. I'v also been to Granby and RMNP and liked it up there also. This past month I was in Gunnison and really liked Crested Butte so again give your opinions on which of these is the best choise. My other questions is about Cars and Mountains/snow. First whenever I'v gone I'v had V8 or V6 and they've always done fine, but people have said 4 cylinders bad up there because they're strugglig to get up and rev highly the whole time so tell me what you think is best. Also is 4WD or AWD a better choice?. And lastly, I was wondering if most people switch to winter tires or stay with all season. So please try and answer most/all of these ?'s
Thanks
Have you checked into the cost of out-of-state tuition? You know you won't qualify for in-state, right?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
If you're going to go to school, do it right and go to a real, accredited, 4 year college or university. "Colorado Mountain College" doesn't count. Other than a few small state schools in the western slope (Western State, Mesa State, Fort Lewis, Adams State), all the major schools in Colorado are located on the front range urban area, not in the mountains. If you're not ready or can't get into a 4 year school right now, maybe you could consider going to a community college/ junior college in Nebraska for a year or two while you build up your GPA and hopefully save some money, then transfer to a university after that.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
If you're going to go to school, do it right and go to a real, accredited, 4 year college or university. "Colorado Mountain College" doesn't count. Other than a few small state schools in the western slope (Western State, Mesa State, Fort Lewis, Adams State), all the major schools in Colorado are located on the front range urban area, not in the mountains. If you're not ready or can't get into a 4 year school right now, maybe you could consider going to a community college/ junior college in Nebraska for a year or two while you build up your GPA and hopefully save some money, then transfer to a university after that.
vegaspilgrim-what do you meen by real? is it because its only a 2 year or its just not a good place to go?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 AM

72 posts, read 158,105 times
Quote:
vegaspilgrim-what do you meen by real? is it because its only a 2 year or its just not a good place to go?
CS, a "real" college is one that is accredited through what is basically a board of education which set standards and guidelines for colleges that they must follow to be allowed and capable of giving diplomas for bachelor and higher degrees.

Having just graduated from college in December, maybe I can be of some help. Most kids (not all, but most) go to a JuCo school for at least the first 2 semesters to gain some kind of transition; we called it 13th and 14th grade as my brother an I went for 2 years total. They walk you through things and allow for mistakes far more than Universities but far more less than highschool. If you are coming from a small area then living in Colorado may come of a culture shock to you, JuCo is a good place to balance things out.

That being said, University is a great place to be when you are ready. What do you want to spend 4-6 years studying? I went through 3 changes, 3 oddly different changes. I started as a mechanical engineering major, went to polymer science, and then ended in geography/GIS. I'm glad I ended up where I did as it actually accepted all my credits, but I have friends that changed and literally had to start over. See if you can get a phone meeting or skype meeting with a representative of the "college" (degree area) that you want to go into, ask them about prerequisites, graduation percentages, job security after graduation and anything else you can manage to think up. It's quite a large decision to go away to college, though it's one I believe many people are beginning to put to the wayside for lesser value work.

Also, if you aren't a mature person (you just graduated highschool, you probably aren't though you think you are lol) JuCo is going to be a great place to start out have some fun skipping a couple classes to hit the mountains and not completely kill your grades. People may disagree with me telling you that...but I hit New Orleans quite a few days during JuCo and made it just fine. If your academically motivated, you may could leave with an AA in business after 2 years and go straight into your major of choice without spending any extra time. To come away with an AA, a BA/BS, and possibly a Minor looks awesome on Master applications as well as resumes.

/speech

Old 08-03-2011, 06:26 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
It's one of those things that's hard to define, but you know it when you see it.

Pull out a Rand McNally road atlas. Turn to Colorado or any state. If you don't see the name of the school on the map with a red "point of interest" square next to it, it's probably not a real school.

Get a copy of the latest US News and World Report Best Colleges guide. If the school in question isn't ranked on their lists as a national or regional university or college, it's probably not a real school. And if a school is on their list, but it's ranked in the very bottom tier-- it's probably not a very good school.

A degree is only as valuable as the name on it-- especially when it comes time to finding a job.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:10 PM

Thanks for these answers, it makes sence even though there website is misleading (makes it look great). And vegaspilgrim already mentioned Western State, Mesa State, Fort Lewis and Adams State. So I was wondering if there might be anymore colleges in the mountains and not on the front range?. Because I would want to be closer to ski resorts instead of driving up on the weekend.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:07 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
So I am currently in NE. Iv been to Colorado 13-14 times and I really like it. So soon I will be going to college and Colorado seems like a good choice. Iv thought about Colorado mountain college mainley in Leadville and possibly Steamboat. I dont know which would be better because I'v heard some bad things about Leadville. Although I'v been there and I liked it. Now I also love snowboarding, and doing outdoor things. So I'm wondering if you have any opinions of these places or maybe better towns/college choices. I'v also been to Granby and RMNP and liked it up there also. This past month I was in Gunnison and really liked Crested Butte so again give your opinions on which of these is the best choise.
One thing to be aware of is that the Gunnison/Crested Butte area tends to be the coldest place in Colorado in the winter. Also Crested Butte is at 9'000 feet so ask yourself whether you want to live at that altitude all year round.

Of course Leadville is at 10,000 feet or something, so same issue there.

Quote:
My other questions is about Cars and Mountains/snow. First whenever I'v gone I'v had V8 or V6 and they've always done fine, but people have said 4 cylinders bad up there because they're strugglig to get up and rev highly the whole time so tell me what you think is best. Also is 4WD or AWD a better choice?. And lastly, I was wondering if most people switch to winter tires or stay with all season. So please try and answer most/all of these ?'s
Thanks
Yes a 4WD or AWD is a much better choice. Take it from me as someone who has spent a lot of time traipsing around in the mountains. Ignore the people who say you don't need it, because they obviously haven't been out in the backcountry stuck in snow drifts or trying to drive up an inclined driveway in the winter.

As for the number of cylinders you need, it depends on how light and well-balanced your car is and on how large those cylinders are. One 4-cyl car isn't the same as another 4-cyl car. You'd probably want to get the larger 4-cylinders on a lighter weight car, or get a smallish-6-cylinder. It's not a requirement but it's nice having the extra power sometimes.

As for tires, it's preferable to use some real winter-grade tires in the winter and switch them out in the summer months. The quality of the tire makes a big difference in the handling in tricky conditions.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Other than a few small state schools in the western slope (Western State, Mesa State, Fort Lewis, Adams State),

I don't think Mesa State is accredited, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado