Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:49 AM

26,215 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
Congrats on your move! Durango is a pretty neat place. I wouldn't mind living there but I'm happy in Grand Junction for now.

I moved out west from eastern Mass (Essex County) 15+ years ago. I could never move back east again. I probably should visit there more often, my mom still lives there.

C'mon out and join us brightdoglover!
Nice here 'taint it.

I go back to Baltimore for funerals, and for the crabcakes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 07:55 PM

19 posts, read 58,273 times
Congrats on your move. I hope to be headed back home come next summer. Just praying that my wife can find a teaching job and we can leave texas. Hope you love Colorado as much as I do.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Heh. I actually looked up San Juan Medical Center in Farmington and there were *a lot* of jobs- are they expanding, or do people keep quitting, or maybe they have a lot of agency people because not enough people want to live in Farmington?
I'd love to join y'all, but I'm pretty clear that I'm not moving anywhere if I'm working. A few more years...

Old 08-17-2011, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 5,638 times
Default You VenusAllen did it!

This was probably the best move you could have made.
I live in Tenn., don't like it, I've lived in Ky., don't like it, I've lived in Oh., don't like it, I've been to 21 states and halfway down into Mexico (boy talking about going back in the past to the 60's or 70's) don't like it but I keep dreaming of Colorado. I hate this hot weather and the people here are go to church on Sunday curse you out on Monday type people, but my family is here and my wife just got promoted to a pretty good job and I have a house that I've been trying to sell for 2 years so I guess I'll never make it their except to visit.
Take Care and Good Luck!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 AM

118 posts, read 310,613 times
Congratulations! We did the same thing (moved to Durango) 2 years ago, and I still havent stopped pinching myself.

Send me a PM if you want any local info. We're pretty plugged into things now with regards to outdoor activities, food, shopping, schools (at least pre-schools). Or just yell if you want to meet in town for a beer - my office is at 8th and Main!

Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 AM

831 posts, read 1,965,261 times
Reading your post gave me hope! I love seeing "just get up and GO already!!" success stories!! I'm thrilled to see someone so happy with their move. Enjoy your new home enough for all of us

Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 PM

169 posts, read 373,280 times
Brightdog lover, I'm not sure why, the wife was told they had just hired 30 May college graduates and were still in need of 28 more nurses...not too many careers have that kind of job security. The wife and I have been planning our move for years, part of which included her leaving a banking career and returning to school for the transportability of a nursing degree, which obviously paid off for us.
JChasse, I appreciate the hospitality. Is there a bar in town where I might be able to watch my beloved Kentucky Wildcats when basketball season rolls around? The "Blue Mist" (UK fans) can be found everywhere but I've yet to meet a fellow Kentuckian in Durango with whom I can watch a game...yet.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:09 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Hmm, thanks for the response. I saw an evening psych job there- something that my current hospital doesn't offer- it's either straight nights, or a day/evening mix, and I can't stand days.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 AM

118 posts, read 310,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post
Brightdog lover, I'm not sure why, the wife was told they had just hired 30 May college graduates and were still in need of 28 more nurses...not too many careers have that kind of job security. The wife and I have been planning our move for years, part of which included her leaving a banking career and returning to school for the transportability of a nursing degree, which obviously paid off for us.
JChasse, I appreciate the hospitality. Is there a bar in town where I might be able to watch my beloved Kentucky Wildcats when basketball season rolls around? The "Blue Mist" (UK fans) can be found everywhere but I've yet to meet a fellow Kentuckian in Durango with whom I can watch a game...yet.
I was able to watch all of the UConn games last season. (I'm an undergrad and grad Alum.) That included the UK semi-final game!

I was always able to get a tv tuned to the games at Carver, Ska, Old Tymers etc. But if that fails the sports bar over by Bread (corner of Florida Rd and CR 250) has a thousand big-screen TVs (ok, maybe not a thousand...but lots). And if you haven't been to Bread yet, what the heck are you waiting for?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:52 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,466 times
Well congratulations! I'll be joining you in another 3-5 years. Coming from western PA and just hate the heat & humidity. As far as cost of living, everything is relative. I was paying $9k a year in property taxes on my last house. I've looked at Durango houses costing triple what my current house cost with only 1/6 of the property taxes. I'll be building on the Florida Mesa within a mile of DRO (can see the terminal from my 5 acre lot).

The sooner we can get there the better. Just waiting for my local real estate market to clear a bit of inventory before putting our house on the market. Then we'll head to Durango & rent for a year while we build our house. Figured I'd like to make the move & build the house while we're still working so I can finance it all and then pay it off after I retire.

Can't wait to get there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado