Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:06 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times

Advertisements

Perhaps I'm just overly simplistic, but ...

I have home exercise equipment I literally never use. It takes going to the gym to make myself exercise rigorously, something I do 4-5 times a week.

I have a home office in which I rarely (never) get any productive work done. It takes physically going in to my real office to be productive.

I have an online Bible "App" which is neat but spiritually cold. It takes being in community with real life people at church or bible study to make any real progress in my faith.

True, I've done 100x more reading/learing "outside" the physical walls of a school than I ever did "inside" a school, but still the discipline of going to a physical location, with other people, all with the same ostensable goal and challenge of "education" is simply not something that can be replicated by a virtual experience. Like so many things "virtual" - it strikes me as a gimmicky pseudo-replacement for the real thing and I therefore can't really take it seriously. It'd be like playing tennis with a racquet but no ball and no opponent; or a soccer game in a bathroom. Some things just require other people and/or a dedicated space to do properly. Perhaps that's just curmudgeonly me.

Last edited by smdensbcs; 10-07-2011 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 12:50 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
Well, we're all different I guess. I use my home office, gym daily. My children did wonderful with on line schooling. There husbands finished quite a bit of their college with on line. All have jobs so it must have helped. My husband's job of 30 years still has on line classes all employees have to take and pass. The world would be quite boring if we all like the same things. Fortunately for me on line is great. Some people do better going to a classroom or going to gym. Definintely more social which is a plus too. So I am not putting down but saying there is a big plus for on line TOO.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:57 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I agree with you that it takes a dedicated user, but how is this really different from the public school setting? I had plenty of students who barely did anything and would coast by. I couldn't hold them back, even though their grades were failing, they never did homework, etc. Our entire educational system is in the tank right now! It really doesn't make a difference whether the kids are attending a physical or cyber school. If they don't put the effort into it, they aren't going to learn.
Did you read the article that I posted? If you had, you would see the stark differences between the outcomes in online vs. traditional schools in Colorado.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:51 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You know, it's alright for us to have different views on the state of education. There are few "in concrete" answers. And I can understand how our experiences differ..... Teaching is a far more challenging profession than the average taxpayer realizes.
I definitely see your side as well, and respect your opinion. I, for one, know that I would not have done well in an online program during my high school years. But I know others that would have. I admit that my teaching experience is limited, and probably jaded, as I taught in a very difficult school with low test scores and a huge student turnover rate. It was the hardest job I've ever had, that's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
Did you read the article that I posted? If you had, you would see the stark differences between the outcomes in online vs. traditional schools in Colorado.
Yes, I read the article. I'm not saying that online education should replace traditional education. All I'm saying is that it serves a purpose for some kids.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-08-2011 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: Reducing excess quoted material, sometimes need only a lead-in line or two...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado