Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 PM

31 posts, read 77,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoTroutlHntr View Post
These natives could have done something about curtailing crappy sprawl. Instead of selling out their land and crying about the changes as they left town they could have planned, zoned, etc.to maintain a small town charm. In nearly every nice town in the Rockies it's the same. Old locals cry about new arrivals and change. However, instead of accepting responsibility for maintaining the very things they claim to miss they take the money instead.
To be fair, the natives have been pretty much isolationists for a good long time. By 'natives', I mean those that live in the town proper. Pagosa Springs, the town, is a hodgepodge of less than thoughtful development. Housing ranges from broken down trailers to fancy town homes.. and right across the street from each other. What the town really needs is urban renewal on a large scale.

Archuleta county has a population almost 10 times that of the town of Pagosa Springs and most of the county housing is in better shape than that of the city. And the zoning is far better too, in most cases. There are patches of blight in the county too, but it is generally harder to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 12:33 AM

14 posts, read 28,743 times
Thought it was more useful for searchers to resurrect an existing thread than make a new one... but I've been hanging out in Pagosa Springs for a while now. To comment on Wolf Creek Pass, if skiing is one of your priorities. It is child's play compared to any of the canyons in Utah or Rt. 17 in Vermont.

It is a wide, multi-lane, well maintained, highway of no more than 8% grade. I might not enjoy driving a semi through there in a storm, but a car or truck with 4wd and snows, and it's trivial. I can put it in 4th in my automatic and never exceed the speed limit on the downhill (to pagosa) without touching brakes.

If it's closed for avalanche clearing a couple times a year, then consider it homage to the snow gods. Powder Mountain in Utah has a sustained 16% grade. That's a pucker pincher.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:43 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
Except the last time I was up there (last October) we drove an Impala and going from Pagosa to Wolf the car seem to be over heating and down I could smell the brakes. I will not be driving such a powerless vehicle again on that pass. It did fine on the Cumbres pass which I am thinking because we stop a lot to take in views. I guess next Oct. I'll drive the truck it is just driving from Eastern OK every year we like to take the Impala which gets incredible gas mileage and we spend most of our vacation in Chama anyway.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:36 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Except the last time I was up there (last October) we drove an Impala and going from Pagosa to Wolf the car seem to be over heating and down I could smell the brakes. I will not be driving such a powerless vehicle again on that pass. It did fine on the Cumbres pass which I am thinking because we stop a lot to take in views. I guess next Oct. I'll drive the truck it is just driving from Eastern OK every year we like to take the Impala which gets incredible gas mileage and we spend most of our vacation in Chama anyway.
I drove an Impala for my work for over 60,000 miles (and it already had 60,000 miles on it when I started driving it), much of it in the mountains of Colorado, Wyoming, and New Mexico. If you were having trouble with overheating, there was something wrong with the cooling system. If the brakes were overheating, you were not properly gearing down on the downgrades. The Impala, for me, was an excellent and reliable mountain car--one of the few US made cars I would say that about. Never had any problems with overheating or brakes--the original brake pads were still good at 120,000 miles.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:11 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
Well that impala is still around with 120,000 miles on it and I love it. I probably wasn't putting it in a lower gear or I was smelling a truckers brakes, or just scared of the pass!!. My husband says the car did fine but not a lot of experience on passes. He wasn't with me on that adventure, it was giving up fishing time to him! I had less of a problem driving from the opposite end of 160 going to Wolf and then down to Pagosa. I am getting at least 30 miles to a gallon on that vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado