Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:51 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times

Advertisements

wow it sounds like a perfect fit for me. the big thing is that the job there is my dream job...and we do spend most of our waking hours at work, so being happy on the job is very important. but to have wilderness and rural surroundings is a big bonus....cuz thats what i am used to and love....i am a country girl all the way, and love the ranching lifestyle...wouldnt want it any other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
DO NOT listen to Jazzlover!! [Jazz, WTH are you talking about?? "heavy development in Canon City/Florence?!?! Are you off your rocker man???]

In no way is Fremont county a victim of heavy development. Quite the contrary. Take it from a local! Jazzlover is just flat wrong.

If you read through other threads about Canon City, for example - the county seat of Fremont County - you can see all the discussion about the place being so anti-development that it scares new businesses away and the small housing "development" that was attempted just east of town failed miserably. This place is distinctly anti-development and pro-rural lifestyle!

I cannot for the life of me understand what Jazzlover is talking about when he says this area is victim to heavy development. Jazz, perhaps you can explain yourself???

It is very rural around here. Seriously, people in town have chickens in the backyards, sometimes goats or pigs. There is a lot of space to roam and ride. There are no fancy ski resorts here, no posh hotels or fancy restaurants. Just mom & pop type businesses. Sometimes I feel people here are stuck in a time warp, like they still live the way rural people did 60 years ago. And that is actually a nice to thing to see if you are the type of person seeking peace and quiet and privacy with friendly neighbors to help in times of need.

NOTAM, I would encourage you to do a search on the forum and read all the threads on Canon City (Florence and Penrose and the rest of Fremont County are generally included on those as well).

And come and visit to see for yourself! There are lots of Texans around here. I think you would feel very much at home. The climate here is gentler than most every other part of Colorado, so probably not too far off from what you are used to.

If your job is in Florence, than you have to option of living there, or Penrose, or Canon City because they are all so close. If you don't mind driving to work for 30 mins you can go even further west toward Cotopaxi, Texas Creek area. I know many people who chose to live out there because you are right there for hunting & fishing out your back door.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:55 AM

486 posts, read 1,497,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
In order of size, from larger to smaller, there's Canon City, Florence, Penrose, Williamsburg, Rockvale, Coal Creek, etc.

Do the google map thing to see just how sparse it is down there; small and rural is what it is.
Yes, Mike is correct - Williamsburg, Rockvale, or Coal Creek would be good options as well. But they aren't really "towns" just rural scatterings of houses on acreage in the pinion & juniper foothills. More like "areas", than actual towns. VERY rural feel and close to Florence. Deer and horses mingling in the pasture amongst old mining shacks with great vistas of the mountains!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 AM

well that would be even better...the more rural the better, for me. as long as i can get to a walmart and tractor supply company and feed store within an hour, i am in heaven!
are there alot of cattle ranches in this area? sure hope so.

Quote:
Yes, Mike is correct - Williamsburg, Rockvale, or Coal Creek would be good options as well. But they aren't really "towns" just rural scatterings of houses on acreage in the pinion & juniper foothills. More like "areas", than actual towns. VERY rural feel and close to Florence. Deer and horses mingling in the pasture amongst old mining shacks with great vistas of the mountains!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:46 AM

486 posts, read 1,497,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
well that would be even better...the more rural the better, for me. as long as i can get to a walmart and tractor supply company and feed store within an hour, i am in heaven!
are there alot of cattle ranches in this area? sure hope so.
There's not so much in the way of beef operations (eastern plains of Colorado has much more of that) but there are a number of dairy farms around here.

Because of the excellent climate & irrigation system in this area (thanks to the Arkansas River) there are also local farmers who grow fruit orchards, vineyards, veggies and sell locally at markets.

There are some traditional cattle ranches in fremont county, but not the huge operations that you are probably used to.

And yes, there is a feed store in Canon City and tractor supply stores in Penrose, though I can't think of the names off the top of my head.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:26 PM

awesome. i looked at the weather in the area today, and surprisingly enough, it aint much colder than here in heart of Texas...wow.
i cant wait to visit the area!!

Quote:
There's not so much in the way of beef operations (eastern plains of Colorado has much more of that) but there are a number of dairy farms around here.

Because of the excellent climate & irrigation system in this area (thanks to the Arkansas River) there are also local farmers who grow fruit orchards, vineyards, veggies and sell locally at markets.

There are some traditional cattle ranches in fremont county, but not the huge operations that you are probably used to.

And yes, there is a feed store in Canon City and tractor supply stores in Penrose, though I can't think of the names off the top of my head.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:32 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Check out around Bronson. Very rural but driveable to Trinidad for shopping and such.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:50 PM

i would be working in Florence. will have to check it out and see what the commute time is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Check out around Bronson. Very rural but driveable to Trinidad for shopping and such.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:35 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
DO NOT listen to Jazzlover!! [Jazz, WTH are you talking about?? "heavy development in Canon City/Florence?!?! Are you off your rocker man???]

In no way is Fremont county a victim of heavy development. Quite the contrary. Take it from a local! Jazzlover is just flat wrong.

If you read through other threads about Canon City, for example - the county seat of Fremont County - you can see all the discussion about the place being so anti-development that it scares new businesses away and the small housing "development" that was attempted just east of town failed miserably. This place is distinctly anti-development and pro-rural lifestyle!

I cannot for the life of me understand what Jazzlover is talking about when he says this area is victim to heavy development. Jazz, perhaps you can explain yourself???

It is very rural around here. Seriously, people in town have chickens in the backyards, sometimes goats or pigs. There is a lot of space to roam and ride. There are no fancy ski resorts here, no posh hotels or fancy restaurants. Just mom & pop type businesses. Sometimes I feel people here are stuck in a time warp, like they still live the way rural people did 60 years ago. And that is actually a nice to thing to see if you are the type of person seeking peace and quiet and privacy with friendly neighbors to help in times of need.

NOTAM, I would encourage you to do a search on the forum and read all the threads on Canon City (Florence and Penrose and the rest of Fremont County are generally included on those as well).

And come and visit to see for yourself! There are lots of Texans around here. I think you would feel very much at home. The climate here is gentler than most every other part of Colorado, so probably not too far off from what you are used to.

If your job is in Florence, than you have to option of living there, or Penrose, or Canon City because they are all so close. If you don't mind driving to work for 30 mins you can go even further west toward Cotopaxi, Texas Creek area. I know many people who chose to live out there because you are right there for hunting & fishing out your back door.
Sorry, but there are plenty of ugly rural subdivisions all around Canon City. I know the area quite well--like for over 40 years! I personally like the older part of Canon City and, with the corrections industry, the economy there is more stable than many places in Colorado. To say, though, that Fremont County has escaped the scourge of recreational and rural subdivision development is the statement that is flat not accurate. A ski resort it sure ain't, but a place in Colorado does not have to be to have agriculture-destroying rural residential development and "rural sprawl."

As for Mike's comment, he is one of the newbie transplants that has no clue how nice Colorado used to be--before hordes like him showed up.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:47 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Jazz may be a bit on the cranky side, but he DOES know what he's talking about, and I would advise listening to him.

Anyway, have you looked into Delta County? Rural, hard working ranches, orchards and except for Paonia, pretty darn conservative.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:05 PM

i would be willing to look anywhere that is rural and reasonable commute to Florence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Jazz may be a bit on the cranky side, but he DOES know what he's talking about, and I would advise listening to him.

Anyway, have you looked into Delta County? Rural, hard working ranches, orchards and except for Paonia, pretty darn conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado