Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 02:27 AM

91 posts, read 199,807 times

Advertisements

It's my buddies boat that I was borrowing, and he need it back today. So I have no choice but to take it back to him.

This is going to suck.

I've never trailered anything like this before. A few questions...

- my truck has awd in addition to 4wd. can I keep it in AWD going down the hills?

- I'm probably going to die right? Just doing some preliminary reading from this website, it sounds like it may be the dumbest thing I have ever attempted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,636 times
Looks like Berthoud pass is still snowy/icy, I would at least wait until it dries out

and yeah, you can use 4WD downhill, would help to engine break even more

Old 01-23-2012, 05:03 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Trailering on icy/snowpacked roads can be very dangerous if one is inexperienced. I disagree with using 4WD/AWD when going downhill. The drag on the front wheels when 4WD can be enough to cause the front wheels to "break loose" and lose steering control.

Another issue is braking. If you do not have a separate controller for the trailer brakes on your vehicle, don't even think about trying to trailer on an icy road. Under very slick conditions, you may likely need to use the trailer brakes only and not the trucks service brakes--doing this the trailer will be "dragging" the slow the speed of the truck and trailer. If you are using only the truck's service brakes or even the truck's and trailer's brakes together, there may be less braking force applied by the trailer and it will try to "push" the truck down the road. That is a common cause of jackknifing on a slick road.

I've spent over four decades driving in the Colorado mountains, including towing trailers under the worst road conditions. It is not something to do if one is inexperienced in inclement weather or mountain driving when towing a vehicle, or if one has an ill-equipped vehicle. Driving in the mountains under bad road conditions can be hazardous anytime, but doing so while towing a trailer further reduces any margin for error.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:57 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderduder View Post
It's my buddies boat that I was borrowing, and he need it back today. So I have no choice but to take it back to him.

This is going to suck.

I've never trailered anything like this before. A few questions...

- my truck has awd in addition to 4wd. can I keep it in AWD going down the hills?

- I'm probably going to die right? Just doing some preliminary reading from this website, it sounds like it may be the dumbest thing I have ever attempted.
Why not throw some chains on the truck? Would make things a lot easier. The good news is a bass boat is not that heavy, so there's less chance for problems with jackknifing.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:59 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Since the OP posted this at 2AM this morning, I'm guessing he has made his trip and will soon be back.

Hopefully he will tell us how it went.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:02 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Since the OP posted this at 2AM this morning, I'm guessing he has made his trip and will soon be back.
At least one would hope.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
The good news is a bass boat is not that heavy, so there's less chance for problems with jackknifing.
Not true. A light trailer can break loose just as easily, if not more easily than a heavy one. I've seen plenty of jackknifed semis with empty trailers. Take it from my experience--a heavy trailer with good trailer brakes is much easier to control on slick roads than is an empty one. It's all in knowing how to properly use the truck's gearing and brakes in concert with the trailer's brakes. I used to do it with heavy gooseneck trailers running in winter over US550 on the Million Dollar Highway--a very unforgiving piece of road. I'm still here to tell about it, and very glad that don't have to do it very often anymore.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:04 AM

91 posts, read 199,807 times
Thanks all for your tips.

Well, I made it. And I'll never ever do it again unless I have to. That was utter hell.

I prefer Colorado mountain towns to the South of France, exclusive areas in Malibu and everywhere else on this Earth. But if I ever have to leave I will not miss winter mountain driving. IMO it's the worst part of living here.

I do it every day and I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:34 AM

The only part of mountain driving that I loathe is having to deal with the foolish drivers who don't know how to do it properly. They are a hazard to both themselves and the other drivers on the road. Unfortunately, the most heavily traveled mountain highway in the state--I-70--seems to attract those inexperienced drivers like locusts. That is why I try to avoid it in winter, even if it means a detour over longer alternative routes. The"enemy" is not the hazardous road conditions, but the hazardous drivers unable to cope with such conditions safely.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:39 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The only part of mountain driving that I loathe is having to deal with the foolish drivers who don't know how to do it properly. They are a hazard to both themselves and the other drivers on the road. Unfortunately, the most heavily traveled mountain highway in the state--I-70--seems to attract those inexperienced drivers like locusts. That is why I try to avoid it in winter, even if it means a detour over longer alternative routes. The"enemy" is not the hazardous road conditions, but the hazardous drivers unable to cope with such conditions safely.
I wish I could avoid it, but there really isn't any choice for most destinations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado