Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 AM

11 posts, read 29,344 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can speak about the single/social life in Steamboat Springs. I am thinking of relocating for a job offer from Northern California to Steamboat. I am not a huge fan of winter, but I do love the outdoors. I love mountain biking and trail running. Would I be miserable in Steamboat with the cold and long winters? Also please feel free to share any thoughts on the social aspect of living there like meeting new people etc. since I would be a female moving alone.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,469,422 times
If you are not a fan of winter you would have to commit to loving winter if you lived in Steamboat. It's a small, isolated town, but the social life might be fun if you hooked up with tourists.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,669,721 times
DO IT!

I moved to Steamboat in the 70s from Washington DC to be a ski bum, and lived there for three years. I had a great time skiing all winter and enjoying the hiking/off-roading/fishing in the beautiful summers. Don't worry about the social aspect of living there -- it's a resort town and there's always new people and things happening.

However, if you are not a big fan of winter, then it may not be for you. Snow could start falling as early as October and stick around until May. But there's a lot of sun and the skies are the most beautiful blue you've ever seen.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Steamboat is a great town. People are friendly, for a small town there are lots of social things to do, however there is no escaping winter, they have already gotten 100+ inches of snow this year. It's a fairly isolated area, Glenwood Springs is a couple hours away (Target, Lowes, Pier 1) Gypsum (Costco) and Avon (Super Walmart, Home Depot) are about an hour and a half. When you live in the mountains you get use to traveling for hours to get something that may have been down the road before, I don't mind it, but know that some conveniences are compromised up here.

Also to put some perspective on the weather. Today the sun is shining, just a few clouds in the sky, the temp is only 22 degrees but I was just outside in a fleece, jeans and gloves playing with the dogs for an hour without getting cold. Winter is not gloomy, but it can be very snowy.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildigger View Post
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can speak about the single/social life in Steamboat Springs. I am thinking of relocating for a job offer from Northern California to Steamboat. I am not a huge fan of winter, but I do love the outdoors. I love mountain biking and trail running. Would I be miserable in Steamboat with the cold and long winters? Also please feel free to share any thoughts on the social aspect of living there like meeting new people etc. since I would be a female moving alone.

Thanks!
You will have to get used to winter as winters there are long and hard with very cold temps. I thought Vail was cold and had long winters until I went to Steamboat. I definitely got cabin fever there as if you get tired of Steamboat the nearest other town of interest is an 1.5 hour away(I don't count Craig as being a town of interest).

The summer however you would enjoy as it is more temperate than most places in the USA and the summer weather is very nice.

It's a small, isolated resort town with a small year round population. Most people from tourists and seasonal workers will come and go with the seasons. If you are a younger female below 35, there will be more men available than the other way around, so you can probably do well. However most males you will encounter if they live locally will probably have a few different jobs or just be a seasonal tourist or worker that will leave. If you are looking for a more unconventional man, you will be in luck. If you are looking for men on a career track, with the latest clothes and toys, a nice pad, etc. this isn't the place for you.

Also you will have to learn to ebb and flow with the seasons. For six months of the year, the town will be relatively dead in the off season and you will have to content yourself with the locals and you might enjoy the quiet anyways after the tourist seasons.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traildigger View Post
Hi,

(snip) I am not a huge fan of winter, but I do love the outdoors. I love mountain biking and trail running. Would I be miserable in Steamboat with the cold and long winters? (snip)
You've already set the #1 parameter why the 'boat will be a very uncomfortable experience for you.

Winters are typically long and harsh cold here and the surrounding areas; it's not uncommon for the valleys around Steamboat to still have substantial snow cover on the ground through late May.

I'm used to Vail and that area of Colorado for mountain living, and Steamboat is way colder than that for me. It's already at 0 F tonight, just after sundown, in Steamboat, and it will get colder before sunrise.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:43 PM

Default Thank you!

I appreciate all the comments. They have really helped me understand what winter and life in Steamboat might be like. I think I could manage the winters since I grew up in Minnesota, but since I have lived in CA I have learned that I really like summer and being able to bike and run outside all year round.

But it does sound like a great place to visit!

Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
i wouldn't call Colorado winters "dreary.' Cold and snowy, yeah, but dreary no.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I definitely got cabin fever there as if you get tired of Steamboat the nearest other town of interest is an 1.5 hour away(I don't count Craig as being a town of interest).
How long did you live there?

Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Female, eh? I'd say single life will be very, very lucrative in Steamboat.

Contrary to popular belief, winter in Steamboat is actually quite mild. On sunny days it can reach 60 degrees in town. Summers are AMAZING--probably one of the best towns in Colorado during summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado