Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 AM

85 posts, read 206,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Too many prostitutes and crackheads--I do not believe that at all.

AND you say: "lastly doesn't have a reputation as a sexually wild place; i don't want a man prone to cheat, go to strip clubs, hire prostitutes, hire 'sugar babies' etc."

HHaaaaa....Haaaa... This is a total hilarious exaggeration of reality that does not describe most men in any city, anywhere in the world--where do you come up with that nonsense?
No offense, dude, but you obviously haven't spent much time in Vancouver. The Downtown Eastside of Vancouver BC has a notorious red light district, complete with "anything goes" strip clubs, massage parlors, and for all intents and purposes, decriminalized prostitution. In that environment, the op's potential suitors are far more likely to partake in those activities.

If you ever take a stroll down Granville Street, you will become aware of Vancouver's drug problem in a hurry. Heroin use is such a problem in Vancouver that in an effort to stave off the spread of disease, and to keep users from shooting up on the street in full view of everyone, the city funds needle exchanges and a "Safe Injection Site" downtown where iv drug users can go and inject their drugs under medical supervision, with no threat of arrest.

Just understand that the OP's cultural experience is far different than what we experience in the States, especially in a place like Colorado.

Anyway, back to the original topic: djohanna, based on what you've written, Portland sounds pretty ideal. Have you ever visited? And if you plan to live in the US, do you already have a US work visa lined up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Lots of Asians

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Overwhelming Chinese? I doubt that
According to Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 46% of the population of the city is Asian. That is the 2006 census. I am willing to bet that number is up in the last 6 years.

More data The Vancouver Sun maps the ethnic makeup of Metro Vancouver and they seem to fixated on the Chinese.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,404,810 times
The overwhelming majority of the nationality of Vancouver is Canadian. If there are many ethnic Asians, so much the better. A culture that champions family and more so education should be valued. Unfortunately many of the less able and those who lack drive are challenged are intimidated by these cultures and, as we see in history, it grows into hate.

The OP has some fixation that are out of balance with reality.

I have been to this so-called red light district. Much ado about nothing. And most men are not engaged in these activities.

Livecontent

Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 AM

487 posts, read 896,901 times
@brightdoglover -- what you say makes no sense; I said nothing about my preference regarding hispanic culture & arts. That's probably even too broad a category to comment on. But for the record, I really dig Mexican art & food, although Mexican drug cartels beheading and dismembering 30 people left & right, leaving them in bags on the side of the road (even at the US border) is worrying. Mexican government is very corrupt. Not to mention the city of Ciudad Juàrez where there is an obscene amount of women who have gone missing, murdered and whatnot. Not to say that all Mexicans are involved in crazy crime like this, but it would give be second thoughts. I certainly don't want to travel to Mexico, that's for damn sure.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 AM

@attentionspanltd

Actually Granville is not bad. Main and Hastings is the true crackhead central. Also, no regular dude would hire prostitutes from that area--they are complete messes, with very bad skin from drugs, & no doubt with diseases. I actually don't think Vancouver is that sleazy at all.

I'm a US resident, only in Van for university. Yes Portland sounds the best of all the cities, I will certainly visit when I can. Thanks.

@Livecontent--they value family and education? Great. I still don't enjoy their food, language, and arts very much.

Also, I think it's safe to say most, or at least half of the white dudes here would prefer to be with an Asian woman (and seek them out). Maybe this would be fair in my mind if I were also attracted to Chinese men--unfortunately that's not the case. White dudes want to be with Asians everywhere it seems, but here it's different, because half the population is Asian; the chance of them making that happen is high. Honestly I don't want to have to compete with them when it comes to dating & finding a husband. My hair will never be that silky. Plus, they're so educated, they study like MAD, so I'm sure it would also be harder to compete with them when it comes to seeking out a professional job.

Last edited by djohanna; 01-17-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
@brightdoglover -- what you say makes no sense; I said nothing about my preference regarding hispanic culture & arts. That's probably even too broad a category to comment on. But for the record, I really dig Mexican art & food, although Mexican drug cartels beheading and dismembering 30 people left & right, leaving them in bags on the side of the road (even at the US border) is worrying. Mexican government is very corrupt. Not to mention the city of Ciudad Juàrez where there is an obscene amount of women who have gone missing, murdered and whatnot. Not to say that all Mexicans are involved in crazy crime like this, but it would give be second thoughts. I certainly don't want to travel to Mexico, that's for damn sure.
I was referring to the reference to New Mexico, where the Hispanic population pre-dates the existence of America, especially in the northern part of the state. That's the Hispanic culture I was referring to, not Mexico, and thought if OP found Chinese culture or ethnicity to be a drawback in large numbers, she might feel the same way about Hispanic culture. Has nothing to do with Mexico or the difficulties mentioned in Mexico.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 AM

So? I don't care if Chinese culture has been here a million years (it's been here since the 1800's). Doesn't make me any more fond of it.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,930 times
Vancouver has the highest real estate value per square foot in North America, precisely because of Chinese millionaires buying up property. I've never been there, but I've read enough to know that the O.P.'s claim is not an exaggeration. Those of you who think we can relate with our Hispanic population are not even close.

Hispanics WORK in Denver.
Chinese OWN Vancouver.

Back to the O.P. question. Colorado may not be for you. It is not very green, and very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. But we do have sunshine, art galleries, and (unfortunately) liberals.

Maybe San Diego would meet your climate needs a little better, while still satisfying everything else.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
So? I don't care if Chinese culture has been here a million years (it's been here since the 1800's). Doesn't make me any more fond of it.
My last post on this matter. OP said that I wasn't making sense and went off on a rant about Mexico, so I explained that "Hispanic" in my post referred to Mexican descendants in New Mexico who had no relation to current Mexico (hence the mention of how long the descendants had lived in now-America) and thought that she might not like any culture that dominates her culture, and someone had mentioned northern NM as a place she might like.
I'm outta here.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
As Vancouver is only 19% Chinese population, it is not nearly as Chinese as you have been saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado