Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,120,018 times

Advertisements

Another 11.1% down so far this season.
Also snowboard sales are down 40%.
I have a feeling this trend will continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,115,238 times
Yes, it will continue (and not because of snowfall).

It is just too damn expensive for a middle-class family to go on a ski trip anymore. There is a nationwide trend of a middle-class squeeze that will continue, and the ski industry will be impacted by it.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:31 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,389,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Yes, it will continue (and not because of snowfall).

It is just too damn expensive for a middle-class family to go on a ski trip anymore. There is a nationwide trend of a middle-class squeeze that will continue, and the ski industry will be impacted by it.

This^^^^^ As the reality of the shrinking middle class continues there must be a shake out in all but the most exclusive resorts concerning pricing.

There will either be price adjustments in order to fit the present day realities or these resorts will face inevitable closure and buy out by companies that will lower the cost.

The pain of contraction continues.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:15 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,415,745 times
There are many other destinations that are in competition for the wealthy skiers that are necessary for the Colorado Skiing Industry to survive.

The apparent change to a warmer climate and the lower snowfalls in the Colorado Mountains that may keep many destination skiers away. Snowmaking is not an answer as some would believe, as there is only so much water that can be withdrawn from Colorado rivers and streams due to lower flow and restricted water rights.

There is also an environmental movement that questions these recreational facilities that cater to the rich and their need for a limited water supply; even if you argue with their points, they will have an impact.

Does less skiers mean less highway traffic and does that mean we can now abandoned some of these fanciful expensive ideas to get to the mountains easier.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-21-2013 at 01:24 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 PM

From Time Magazine:
"Southern California‘s Mountain High, which tends to be dominated by boarders, had 80,000 rider visits in November 2002, compared to 42,000 in November 2011, despite very similar conditions for weather and snow."

Read more: Snowboarding May Have Reached Its Peak | TIME.com

Old 01-21-2013, 01:29 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,091,765 times
I'm actually going to CO tonight and staying for the week. I was surprised that lift tickets are $99 a day there. That is WAYYYY to much imo. I'll splurge this year, but I'll be looking for cheaper alternatives next year. WA state for example was a lot less.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:31 PM

From Tripadvisor:
Wow, no wonder the numbers are declining. Ouch.
To calculate an average ski day, TripAdvisor added together the average cost of a hotel room, the average price of a (basic) daily ski rental, the average cost of a lift ticket, a burger and fries, and a beer. The result? One day at Vail, according to the budget travel website, rings in at a whopping $745.56. By far, TripAdvisor's most expensive (estimated) component is average lodging: $581.81 per night.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:34 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,115,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I'm actually going to CO tonight and staying for the week. I was surprised that lift tickets are $99 a day there. That is WAYYYY to much imo. I'll splurge this year, but I'll be looking for cheaper alternatives next year. WA state for example was a lot less.
$99 is a steal! Any of the Vail Resorts are about $109 or higher.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 PM

881 posts, read 2,094,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Another 11.1% down so far this season.
Also snowboard sales are down 40%.
I have a feeling this trend will continue.
Keep raising prices, and the answer is "No". I've been skiing around different areas (primarily East Coast, w/occasional Rockies) for the better part of 3+ decades, and it's getting to the point of "not worth it". Up to around the late 90s/2000 or so, I could still drag family along on the occasional trip and be able to set up a couple of days w/decent equipment and it would price out ~ the same as a day at a theme park or similar. Over the past 10 years, though - YGTBKM. Sure, there are deals out there - coupons & whatnot, but put together a couple of days w/3 or 4 family members and the prices can get, well, let's just say that catering to the wealthiest ski enthusiasts isn't a way to build a business - or a sporting activity.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,306,934 times
Vail Resorts' day ticket prices are simply absurd. They may learn that the hard way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado