Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:42 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times

Advertisements

I noticed awhile back that the unemployment rate in Colorado is much higher than neighboring states like WY or NE why is that?

Here's the map and the numbers to back it up Map: LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 05:06 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
There are various reasons. First, outside of the metro areas, the Colorado economy is not in great shape at all. Chronic underemployment and unemployment is an issue in much of rural Colorado. Colorado's unemployment numbers would look a lot worse if a lot of unemployed had not reached their 99 weeks and are no longer counted as unemployed. The continuing influx of people into Colorado, many who don't secure employment before they move here, doesn't help, either.

Second, states like Wyoming--that are not considered especially desirable places to live by some (especially some of the places where there are actually jobs, as in the oil and gas fields)--tend to have residents that leave if they lose their job. When they do leave, they are no longer counted in the unemployment ranks. As an example, during the oil bust of the 1980's, Wyoming lost nearly 60,000 residents, over 10% of the population, an amount equal to the population of its then biggest city, Casper. That doesn't happen in Colorado. Unemployed Coloradans often hang around the state for lengthy periods, sometimes years.

In Nebraska's case, the state did not go wild with real estate bubbles and exploding population like Colorado did during the boom. Nebraska actually has a pretty decent industrial base for its population--a base centered on its agricultural industry, but not limited to that. Nebraska's economy has remained more stable than Colorado's. Overall, the Nebraska economy is one of the more productive in the US--productive in real terms, not "funny money" bubble terms--and the low unemployment rate reflects that.

I think that the long-term trouble for the Colorado economy is just starting. The state, over the last several decades, has dismantled a lot of its former industrial base, the economy is far too dependent on federal government spending, and Colorado still relies far too heavily on the F.I.R.E. economy than it should. Combine that with Colorado's embedded Constitutional caps that are slowly strangling public services in the state--including such "niceties" as primary, secondary, and higher education--and one has a witch's brew of trouble for future employment in the state.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:13 PM

Interesting Jazz, I was just curious because I have had a fairly successful career in high tech sales and I am out of work since June 2012, longest time unemployed while looking hard for a good job in some time. I was comparing experiences of unemployed in Southern CA, where I am originally from, to here and the stories of frustration are similar. I actually looked at jobs in WY, just out of curiosity, but there were hardly any in WY, haven't tried NE.

Don't get me wrong, I like CO compared to CA, people are nicer and more laid back.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Interesting Jazz, I was just curious because I have had a fairly successful career in high tech sales and I am out of work since June 2012, longest time unemployed while looking hard for a good job in some time. I was comparing experiences of unemployed in Southern CA, where I am originally from, to here and the stories of frustration are similar. I actually looked at jobs in WY, just out of curiosity, but there were hardly any in WY, haven't tried NE.

Don't get me wrong, I like CO compared to CA, people are nicer and more laid back.
Just curious why you're not looking for jobs in place like Northern Virginia where the economy is relatively good and there's likely a lot more demand for what you do. I doubt you'd have been out of a job anywhere near that length of time there.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Just curious why you're not looking for jobs in place like Northern Virginia where the economy is relatively good and there's likely a lot more demand for what you do. I doubt you'd have been out of a job anywhere near that length of time there.
Good question. I would consider it, but the humidity there would be rough on me. I sweat more the avg. person. We really only considered it when my wife was being recruited by the State Dept. but that didn't pan out.

You definitely gave me something to think about. I have considered NYC because I am direct and to the point. From talking to East Coast transplants they are more direct which is what I am used to in faced paced So Cal.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
I like CO compared to CA
There you have it... ever since 1960's when IBM, HP, Kodak.... immigrated to CO, folks been saying...I like CO (and it wasn't too shabby in 1960's....)

Take a look at the MASSIVE layoffs of high tech, realize those EX-techies are STILL unemployed (some for 20 yrs+) and have SMART kids that like CO And you have the answer.

SD, NE, WY, ND have FAR different economies & sparse population in comparison, and in GENERAL are not as LIKEABLE... YMMV.

There are probably hundreds of thousands of Under Employed workers in CO. But STILL you hear... ...I like CO

Actually there is A LOT to like about the other states, but they are NOT CO... Try UT as a close proximity / similar state, but more jobs. But UT has it's own challenges, but NOT nearly as tough for JOE as WY, SD, ND, (NE is GOOD choice if you can handle Omaha living). (TAXES are killer in NE)

Consider WA (income tax free + high tech) + WATER 285 days a YR of drizzle... it is NOT CO either... (I miss riding my bike EVERYDAY as I did during my 28 yrs in CO)

Old 02-08-2013, 12:23 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Because it is far easier to 'live off the dole' here. Unemployment statistics only count people who have applied for unemployment insurance. I would assume many unemployed people in WY and NE aren't collecting anything..

Old 02-08-2013, 04:05 PM

180 posts, read 267,221 times
CO is packed full with illegal aliens, mostly mexican nationals, who take a lot of hourly jobs esp in labor, construction, & agri- business. In sanctuary cities like Aurora they aren't bothered by ICE or local law enforcement. They live in rental SFH sometimes a dozen adult men in a house (like next door to me for e.g.) and the city does nothing.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
Many people, like Jazz said, come here without employment, thinking it's some grand mecca to live in, few realize that if you come here, you're pretty much stuck living somewhere on the Front Range, and the job market is super competitive.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Many people, like Jazz said, come here without employment, thinking it's some grand mecca to live in, few realize that if you come here, you're pretty much stuck living somewhere on the Front Range, and the job market is super competitive.
How is the Springs job market? I live in Parker so I could do either, but I would like to move closer to downtown Denver because I am too far to work in Broomfield or Boulder. I would consider but Boulder employers pass when they see I am in Parker.

When I moved here 9 years ago I had a great job in DTC and then found another great job in DTC. Last job was downtown Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado