Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 9,619 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just took a job located in Frisco. I was hoping I could get some tips from nearby residents regarding where to live, I am going to rent, and any other helpful information as to the quality of the apartment complexes. I am coming from South Florida, so am used to expensive renting costs. It seems most of the apartment rentals are in Dillon and Silverthorne, which would be nice because it wouldn't be much of a commute. I would also consider other housing for rent but am worried that the landlords would be leaning towards more seasonal or temporary tenants, not one that would stay for a year or multiple years. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 10:28 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Incorrect, many owners of condos and apartments would love to have a year round renter rather than a seasonal ski bum. Often the rent is discounted for those that sign for a year.

Yes housing in Summit County is expensive. In most cases you get what you pay for. I would not rent there sight unseen. Many of these places that are rented on the low end of the price scale get savaged by all the ski bums in and out every year.

Frisco also has condos and apartments and plenty of them, you might just want to live there. Dillon and Silverthorne are only a few miles away. All 3 towns exist to support the local ski towns, so these towns are where many of the locals and ski area staff live and it's where a lot of retail and services are.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:19 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink Close to home

Silverthorne has a lot of housing in the Wildernest area above Silverthorne. As also mentioned, one can find rental accommodations in all the population centers of Summit County. Some can be, even at a handsome price, sketchy, so worth a look first. All the more in relation to other amenities and where you may prefer to live.

If working in Frisco, you may seriously wish to consider living there. True, but a few short miles of interstate between there and Dillon or Silverthorne. But such a seemingly small thing will directly decide such things as whether you enjoy an evening in downtown Frisco and then easily walk a few blocks home—or deal with a designated driver, limit the carousing, possibly terminate it all early anyway due concerns for the storm piling up snow outside. Everywhere in Summit County (more so the southern half of it where most everyone is) is fairly close together, and all expensive. If some variance in this, one might as well live where they work. You can always travel to the other venues when you wish—and remain happily home when not.

Besides which, Frisco is a lovely town with much to recommend it.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 AM

85 posts, read 205,957 times
Seconding Frisco. Not only would it be close to work, it's right in the middle of everything. You're 10 miles (give or take) from any of the three major ski resorts/towns (Breckenridge, Keystone, or Copper Mountain), and about 5 miles to Silverthorne & Dillon. Frisco has Wal Mart, Safeway, and a lot of other great local shops & restaurants. Plus It's right off the interstate for easy access.

Wildernest/Silverthorne has a lot of affordable condos, but the biggest drawback is that you have to take either I-70 or the Dillon Dam Road to get to Frisco. And although it's only 5 miles or so away, when both roads are closed due to inclement weather (or 30-car pileups like on Monday), it might as well be 100 miles. Honestly, it doesn't happen that often, but it's something to think about.

Renting an apartment or condo here can be challenging if you have pets, as many landlords & condo associations don't allow them (which is strange, because it seems like everyone here has at least one huge dog). Otherwise, it should be pretty easy to find a nice place. Be prepared to pay more than what you're used to, but it's not as expensive as a lot of people make it out to be.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attentionspanltd View Post
Seconding Frisco. Not only would it be close to work, it's right in the middle of everything. You're 10 miles (give or take) from any of the three major ski resorts/towns (Breckenridge, Keystone, or Copper Mountain), and about 5 miles to Silverthorne & Dillon. Frisco has Wal Mart, Safeway, and a lot of other great local shops & restaurants. Plus It's right off the interstate for easy access.

Wildernest/Silverthorne has a lot of affordable condos, but the biggest drawback is that you have to take either I-70 or the Dillon Dam Road to get to Frisco. And although it's only 5 miles or so away, when both roads are closed due to inclement weather (or 30-car pileups like on Monday), it might as well be 100 miles. Honestly, it doesn't happen that often, but it's something to think about.

Renting an apartment or condo here can be challenging if you have pets, as many landlords & condo associations don't allow them (which is strange, because it seems like everyone here has at least one huge dog). Otherwise, it should be pretty easy to find a nice place. Be prepared to pay more than what you're used to, but it's not as expensive as a lot of people make it out to be.
Yes that stretch coming down the hill into Silverthorne and then up another hill to Frisco is always a magnet for accidents on I-70 and closures and delays happen. They just had a 20 some car pile up there the other day that closed the interstate. The Dillon Dam Road also gets closed sometimes due to visibility.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:24 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink Swam Mountain Road

Even though my recommendation remains Frisco—and all the more, as noted, I-70 not always being easy or passable—do not forget Swan Mountain Road (never mind my error in the title).

In climbing to a fair elevation, it nevertheless roughly borders the southern edge of Dillon Reservoir, connecting Frisco and Dillon. Although intersecting CO 9 and US 6, respectively, shortly south of each town. At its western terminus is a lighted intersection with CO 9, near the far end of the Blue River Arm of that lake. With US 6, headed towards Keystone, it T's off, with lights as well, at a small subdivision at the far end of the Snake River Arm of this lake, and indeed briefly crosses a bit of it.

It is the long way around, but a decent alternative if need be. Rather a scenic drive as well. And could be considered a shortcut if driving between Breckenridge and Keystone, even Dillon. There are also picnic areas and, if I recall correctly, campgrounds as well accessed from it.

There may be there, but for sure at Frisco some of its many bike paths run near this lake. It can be a nice walk as well, and from the paved paths some narrow dirt foot paths which skirt closer to the edge of this "lake."

Old 03-08-2013, 01:20 AM

85 posts, read 205,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Even though my recommendation remains Frisco—and all the more, as noted, I-70 not always being easy or passable—do not forget Swan Mountain Road
Traffic problems are one thing, but if the weather is bad enough to shut down I-70 and the Dam Road, driving Swan Mtn Road would be absolutely terrifying! Twisting and turning along the side of a mountain in heavy winds and whiteout conditions is no fun, that's for sure.

But yeah, like you said, there's some really nice spots along that road (although they were nicer before they chopped down all the trees). Lowry Campground, Sapphire Point, Snake River Inlet are all worth checking out, especially in the Summer.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:00 PM

404 posts, read 904,312 times
Swan mountain isn't that bad, I just did it in a rwd cargo van when i70 and the dam road were closed

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note

Old 03-10-2013, 03:23 PM

384 posts, read 595,769 times
Live in Frisco, within walking distance of Main St. The town is great and if you happen to drink alcohol, not driving under the influence in Summit County is a real good idea. Lots of DUI's there and it can be tricky getting around during extreme weather.

Call a few Real Estate offices and see what they have for rental inventory. If you are responsible with a good credit history, you will be pure gold in that rental market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado