Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:11 PM

19 posts, read 51,725 times

Advertisements

I searched but didn't find much. I currently live in Los Angeles and wife and I want OUT soon! Was looking into Utah, Salt Lake area, but the Mormon population may be a factor when our future children start school and make friends. Can anyone tell me the major differences between Denver and Co Springs? I know Denver is higher in elevation, will that have any affect for people with asthma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 05:19 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Denver is not higher in altitude than COLO SPGS.

Some with asthma do better here, some don't.

Denver is bigger, more expensive, more traffic, more jobs, has all 5 pro sports, more culture, more arts, more music, more hospitals, perhaps a bit warmer.

Denver metro area is 3M people, COLO SPGS metro area about 1/6 of that.

Denver is more progressive and corporate, COLO SPGS is more conservative and with large military population.

COLO SPGS is closer to mountains.

Either place is fine. Get a job and move to that area. Rent first.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:30 PM

Thanks Mike, sounds good! Been to Co Springs once when I was younger, don't really remember it much so definitely going to have to make a trip out there first. And experience each place.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:30 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Based on my personal experience involving many moves, my first recommendation is to shift your focus. Apparently your focus is on getting out of LA. I encourage you to do whatever it takes to get clear on what you want to MOVE TO, and make that your focus, always keeping that in mind whenever you are talking about, or strategizing about your move. Let go of whatever it is that you want to get out of. If you fail to do that, I guarantee that you will move right back into whatever it is you are wanting to get out of. Do the inner work first.....then move.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:35 AM

Cosmic, thanks for those words of advice. We want to get out of LA mainly because for the past 5 years we've been living together and renting, we feel that our lives are going nowhere, in terms of buying a house and starting a family. Where we live now, Harbor Area, the crime rate has risen tremendously. I grew up in the same town I'm living in now and back then every kid on the block was out having fun, playing hockey in the street, riding bikes and what not and now, some of the kids on our block aren't allowed to leave their driveways. We both make decent money but with the cost of living here it seem like it will take another 10 years of saving before buying a house a good neighborhood. We are over California. I have a lot of family here that if ever I need a beach fix I have a place to stay. Now that we're older and ready for a family, I want to start somewhere where I'm going to be happy raising that family. Our focus started on Utah since I have family there. However, they are Mormon and encourage us to at least look more toward Salt Lake and not Provo area. So I did, for a while we did and the last trip up there we looked around. But now that I'm signed up on this site and reading the Utah forums, it seems like every family that has a child is complaining that their child/children are being left out and feel ostracized for not being Mormon, and I don't want that for my future kids. But Utah has everything we want. It has clean air, clean neighborhoods, low crime rate, it gets all seasons, the schools from what I hear are great, but the fact that kids are feeling shunned because of religion is enough for me to look elsewhere. Sorry, I know I kind of rambled on there, but I think the "inner work" you're advising to me focus on is already checked off.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:48 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default If you move to Utah

and you are not Mormon, you need to understand the rules.
1. SLC is the only place you can live.
2. With children, you would need to live in a non-majority-Mormon neighborhood.
3. Mormons shun all non-Mormon children.
4. Mormons even shun Mormons who are not part of the extended family. This is a problem in the suburbs. (Not my words, but from a Mormon who lived in Utah.)

And, no matter how many non-Mormons move to Utah, the state, as a whole, will always be controlled by them.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
4. Mormons even shun Mormons who are not part of the extended family. This is a problem in the suburbs. (Not my words, but from a Mormon who lived in Utah.)

And, no matter how many non-Mormons move to Utah, the state, as a whole, will always be controlled by them.
All four of those reasons is exactly why we put Utah a little lower on the list.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:34 AM

599 posts, read 953,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Also remember:

1) SLC is much cleaner and safer than Denver or Colorado Springs - the murder rate in Colorado Springs is three times higher than SLC. The Burglary rate is double. Denver is even WORSE.
2) The cost of living in SLC is much lower than Denver of Colorado Springs
3) The outdoor activities are much closer and more varied in SLC than in Colorado Springs
4) The Mormon thing is way overblown.
5) If you don't like SLC, you can live in Park City, which has even less of a Mormon influence than SLC.
6) Since it seems to be an issue, SLC is lower than Denver of Colorado Springs.
7) Since you are from the coast, water sports are much more available in SLC than Denver of Colorado Springs.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Also remember:

1) SLC is much cleaner and safer than Denver or Colorado Springs - the murder rate in Colorado Springs is three times higher than SLC. The Burglary rate is double. Denver is even WORSE.
3) The outdoor activities are much closer and more varied in SLC than in Colorado Springs
5) If you don't like SLC, you can live in Park City, which has even less of a Mormon influence than SLC.
7) Since you are from the coast, water sports are much more available in SLC than Denver of Colorado Springs.
Thanks for this info. Park City is a very expensive place to reside, la kind of prices. SLC is lower in elevation, however, they get that inversion in winter months and from what I've read and hear, it's pretty bad for people who don't even have a breathing condition. The whole Mormon thing may be overblown, but is it worth taking that risk and having children going to school feeling ostracized? I mean don't get me wrong, I don't mind Mormons at all, like I said I have Mormon family in Provo and Spanish Fork. I suppose I can always send them to private school.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Also remember:

Why do you keep saying "Denver of Colorado Springs"? -- was it just the same typo over and over or do you think that Denver is inside of Colorado Springs? I'm not trying to typo-police, just trying to clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado