Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 09:19 AM

599 posts, read 953,608 times

Advertisements

You still have not defined "near". To some people "near" is two blocks, to others it is 20 miles.

There are people making this kind of arrangement work in Nederland, because they can take the bus to Boulder. Get ready for sticker shock though. A "house in the woods" big enough to hold four people is going to run you at LEAST $1500/mo, and that would be a shack. It would most likely be in the direction of Rollinsville or Ward, which means you would be driving every single time you left the house, even if it was to Nederland to take the bus.

You also are going to have to deal with a well and probably propane for heat. If you like the thermostat to be 70 degrees, you would be looking at $500+ per month for propane in winter.

As Jazzlover said, prepare to starve. There are a few restaurants in Nederland, but you will probably have to go to Boulder to work. Competition for good restaurant jobs in Boulder is fierce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 09:37 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Coming from Florida to the Colorado mountains can be quite an adjustment. Commuting an hour on well maintained, mostly flat, straight, and wide highways in Florida is a world away from commuting on Colorado mountain roads that are poorly maintained, narrow, winding, steep, and slick as an ice cube at times in the winter. That alone will take some getting used to. It can be done. Lots of people have made the adjustment, and many others have failed. Wether you fail or succeed depends on what you are made of.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:15 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I agree. About 17/18 miles from Boulder.
Yes, anywhere in unincorporated Boulder County.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:57 PM

20 posts, read 60,620 times
I think you both may need a reality check before packing up the SUV to the rafters...oh, you mean you are showing up with a compact car & bald tires? I admire your adventure to find a new place, but showing up cold in the Colorado mountains (unless you have some savings to burn) may be a bit much to bite off. Have you ever been here? Do you have friends to guide the process? How much are you ready to pay for rent? You post is way too macro to get useful feedback.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:58 PM

20 posts, read 60,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamtheyaki View Post
Hello. My boyfriend, I, and two other friends are looking to relocate to Colorado from Florida. We are wishing for a log cabin or house in the woods. I would still like to live near by civilization though. We all have food service experience so restaurants would also need to be near by. Any suggestions of towns we should look into? Thank you.
Why Colorado?

Old 12-23-2013, 06:32 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
My 10 minute mountain commute has been 30-40 minutes recently due to icy roads and inexperienced drivers. An hour commute is unrealistic in the mountains.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:50 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
^^^and if they were all experienced drivers on snow covered roads, it would still take 20 to 25 minutes....at least twice as long as it takes when the roads are dry.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:29 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBamap
I think you both may need a reality check before packing up the SUV to the rafters...oh, you mean you are showing up with a compact car & bald tires? I admire your adventure to find a new place, but showing up cold in the Colorado mountains (unless you have some savings to burn) may be a bit much to bite off. Have you ever been here? Do you have friends to guide the process? How much are you ready to pay for rent? You post is way too macro to get useful feedback.

Shhhhhh! You'll scare them off and I haven't had the chance to run a flatlander off Lizardhead Pass in almost a month. I need a little fresh meat, so don't spoil this.

Ahem - Now as I was saying about the good life in Naturita and the lazy mountain road between it and Telluride, restaurant and music venue capitol of Colorado...

Old 12-24-2013, 05:07 AM

102 posts, read 185,825 times
We just moved to the mountains last June from Florida. The biggest adjustments for us were things like having to plan a weeks worth of groceries because the big market is 40 minutes away, snow making a 20 minute ride take an hour, etc. We love it here though.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:03 AM

956 posts, read 745,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Shhhhhh! You'll scare them off and I haven't had the chance to run a flatlander off Lizardhead Pass in almost a month. I need a little fresh meat, so don't spoil this.

Ahem - Now as I was saying about the good life in Naturita and the lazy mountain road between it and Telluride, restaurant and music venue capitol of Colorado...
Bad wording. My brother-in-law, Captain Jack Carey out of Telluride was killed on Lizardhead Pass on his bicycle a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado