Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 PM

289 posts, read 776,632 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of moving from Durango to Montrose and am wanting to get DirecTV installed at my new house so I can follow my sports teams (kind of hard to be a NY Yankees/NY Giants fan in Colorado).

All kidding aside, I've discovered that DirecTV doesn't offer local channels for the GJ/Montrose market. I'm OK with not having a local newscast, but not having access to ABC, NBC, CBS & FOX would be really hard for me as a sports fan (wouldn't be able to watch any major events).

I understand that I can get a DNS waiver which will allow me to have access to the big 4 networks out of Los Angeles or New York, but from what I've heard, there is no guarantee there. Can someone who is a DTV subscriber in GJ/Montrose tell me whether or not they have access to the big 4 networks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,882,766 times
I have Directv. You'll get the Denver locals. For some reason Directv and Dish think Denver is the local market here. For the Yankees games get MLB extra innings. I watch my Dodgers on that.

You won't get the DNS stations, Denver will NOT sign a waiver, ever.

Yes, we get to watch news about the murders in Aurora and weather 400 miles away, but nothing about our local area.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,752 times
Jim, it's good to hear you can at least get those. When we lived in GJ, we signed up for DirectTV with the impression we would be getting those channels, even if they weren't local. We were wrong! When they hooked it up, we quickly realized those channels weren't there at all. The installer told us we'd have to get the waiver, and that it's often not granted. I fought with DirectTV for 4 months to get a refund, because they said I agreed to it when I had them install. I finally won my case, but it took hours and hours of phone calls almost every single day during that time period until they finally caved. This was is 2004 or 2005. We signed up for Dish Network after that and had no problem.

Now, I don't even bother with cable. I stream everything online and cut my bill in half!

Old 09-22-2014, 10:33 AM

Wow was I wrong. I found out Directv does NOT carry any local channels for Montrose or Grand Junction. Now if you're next door in Ouray County or Delta County you get Denver. But in Montrose and Mesa County, nothing. I don't understand that at all!

Old 09-22-2014, 01:41 PM

289 posts, read 776,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Wow was I wrong. I found out Directv does NOT carry any local channels for Montrose or Grand Junction. Now if you're next door in Ouray County or Delta County you get Denver. But in Montrose and Mesa County, nothing. I don't understand that at all!
Tell me about it. The over-the-air signals for CBS & FOX are fickle at best. ABC used to come in pretty clear but now it doesn't and the NBC feed has never come in over-the-air for me.

The NBC affiliate in GJ granted the DNS waiver for me so I could the Los Angeles NBC feed, but none of the other networks would grant the waiver. Total BS, but I've been able to find a loophole that allows me to pick up locals through DirecTV .

Old 09-22-2014, 05:41 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,989,104 times
Wink Back to the past future

This is hypothetical as I haven't tried it, if knowing of those along the Front Range who successfully do.

Since all went digital a few years ago, there has been a renewed interest in using over the air signals. With apparently far better results in clarity than previously possible with analog.

One would need to install a new antenna designed for digital signals. Near Denver one could even use something small and unobtrusive indoors. With greater distance—such as between Montrose and Grand Junction—one would likely need a larger antenna mounted on the roof. The principal broadcast channels, such as CBS, are precisely the channels one can best receive this way. In fact some report they receive a better over the air signal than possible with either cable or satellite.

May be worth looking into, and just possibly a solution.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:37 PM

Indeed an OTA would work, unless you're surrounded by high terrain, or in a wooded area. I know Dish Network carries the Grand Junction locals for Montrose and Mesa County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado