Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 12:06 AM

447 posts, read 1,607,245 times

Advertisements

Ok........this forum seems to be really helpful and nice....so I am going to ask a few questions here.
I am looking to relocate to CO from Upstate SC and I have NO IDEA what to look for. This will be a HUGE change for me as I have always lived in the same town and am extremely nervious.........I am 24 and a hair stylist.......and a huge Skier / Hiker and would hope to find somewhere that fits those needs
What I am looking for is......................
- A cheaper place to live $150,000 - $200,000 (is that even possible nowadays)
-Great location to ski (like an hours drive)
-Great place for Salons
-Hiking is also extremely important
-Nice views of mountains (in the distance is fine)

This is just a HUGE step for me in my life and I would appreciate any help.

----Thank you in advance.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 12:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaksraver13 View Post
Ok........this forum seems to be really helpful and nice....so I am going to ask a few questions here.
I am looking to relocate to CO from Upstate SC and I have NO IDEA what to look for. This will be a HUGE change for me as I have always lived in the same town and am extremely nervious.........I am 24 and a hair stylist.......and a huge Skier / Hiker and would hope to find somewhere that fits those needs
What I am looking for is......................
- A cheaper place to live $150,000 - $200,000 (is that even possible nowadays)
-Great location to ski (like an hours drive)
-Great place for Salons
-Hiking is also extremely important
-Nice views of mountains (in the distance is fine)

This is just a HUGE step for me in my life and I would appreciate any help.

----Thank you in advance.....
Greeley, where I live is affordable, but is 1.5 hrs from the nearest ski resort, Eldora. It has a decent number of hair salons as the students at UNC need good hair cuts. It has a very nice view of the mountains, being able to see them stretch forever along the western horizon. We're 1 hr from Estes Park and there's a lot of mountain hiking around there.

However I think Boulder may be a better fit. It's right along the foothills and has a good population base with college students. However it is not nearly as affordable.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:46 AM

947 posts, read 3,573,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGreeley View Post
Greeley, where I live is affordable, but is 1.5 hrs from the nearest ski resort, Eldora. It has a decent number of hair salons as the students at UNC need good hair cuts. It has a very nice view of the mountains, being able to see them stretch forever along the western horizon. We're 1 hr from Estes Park and there's a lot of mountain hiking around there.

However I think Boulder may be a better fit. It's right along the foothills and has a good population base with college students. However it is not nearly as affordable.
Where in the Upstate are you? I'm in beautiful, rural, rustic Abb-vegas.. er, uh, Abbeville!

Old 07-14-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek2007 View Post
Where in the Upstate are you? I'm in beautiful, rural, rustic Abb-vegas.. er, uh, Abbeville!
Easley, SC.............20 min from G-vegas (aka. Greenville) lol!!!

Old 07-14-2007, 07:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
The housing price would be difficult anywhere in the metro area, esp. at the lower end. It's hard to be an hour from skiing anywhere in the Denver/Boulder area. CJGreeley mentioned Eldora; it is about 1/2 hr from Boulder, but not quite in the same league as the I-70 resorts or Steamboat. They are all at least 1 1/2 hrs from even the western suburbs. Good hairstylists, I think, can find work 'most anywhere. Hiking is everywhere and not so far as the skiing; lots of parks in the close-in mtsn to the west. Mtn views everywhere.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:21 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,494,878 times
When I lived in Denver (Lakewood actually), I was renting, so I cannot help you with house prices.

However, for hiking and skiing, you can easily live on the west side of Denver (e.g. Lakewood, Golden, etc.) and be very close to the outdoor stuff.

From my old place in Lakewood, it was 45 minutes door-to-door to Loveland (the ski area, not the town), about 50 minutes to Winter Park, and 1 hour 10 minutes to Copper. You just have to leave early enough (say 6:30am). Living in Lakewood, I skied about 40-50 days every season, so it is easily doable.

Hiking is also in very close proximity if you're in the western suburbs. You can get into the real mountains via I-70, or for quick getaways, you can hit up the many open space parks in the foothills that lie around Golden, Morrison, and Lakewood (there are tons of great ones along Bear Creek Canyon past Morrison).

I'm not a huge fan of Boulder. I've skied Eldora a few times, but it just didn't do it for me. While the Flatirons are beautiful and the Indian Peaks are close by, I always found the trails near Boulder to be a bit too crowded for my taste.

Let me know if you have more question about ski areas or hiking.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:42 PM

Thanxxxxxxxx so much everyone.....you guys are helping point me in the right direction.

More suggestions please!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 07-14-2007, 01:48 PM

Oh........any thoughts on Glenwood Springs

Also.......do the ski resorts have spa's that also do hair?

Old 07-14-2007, 01:53 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,494,878 times
You really should take a trip out here. To see the different neighborhoods, check out the drive to the ski areas, etc.

Being a hair stylist, are you free to work really anywhere? Or do you have to be in a big city like Denver? If it's the former, then you could potentially look at the mountain resort towns e.g. Breckenridge, Vail, etc. Seems like there could be high-end salons catering to tourists (especially in the winters). Although, $150-$200K will not get you much up the high country -- for $200-$250K you can buy a 1-2-bedroom condo depending on the part of town.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You really should take a trip out here. To see the different neighborhoods, check out the drive to the ski areas, etc.

Being a hair stylist, are you free to work really anywhere? Or do you have to be in a big city like Denver? If it's the former, then you could potentially look at the mountain resort towns e.g. Breckenridge, Vail, etc. Seems like there could be high-end salons catering to tourists (especially in the winters). Although, $150-$200K will not get you much up the high country -- for $200-$250K you can buy a 1-2-bedroom condo depending on the part of town.
I am actually looking to come out there and stay for a month to get a feel for the area...........I don't have to live in the city......Because as I see it Denver is pretty much within an hours reach of most other towns...Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado