Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 07:25 PM

2,478 posts, read 2,698,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Colorado Springs does have some of the nicest mountains on the planet though, and the town is just as close to them as you can get while still being able to see them.
Never been to Telluride or Crested Butte have you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 07:46 PM

10 posts, read 10,422 times
Thank you COcheesehead!

Old 02-13-2019, 07:59 PM

Thanks McGowdog,

As you can see I'm not in Double Secret Probation, nor do I have any reputation, let alone having yours!!

If you could please help me get to those 785, and counting... answers (I wanted to be part of the counting) I will be happy to read them.

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2019, 08:12 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
You can use our search tool which is excellent and very easy and fast to learn, search on the word allergies and you'll find some good threads that already exist in the COLO forums. They may be helpful and if not you may add to one of those threads with your info on the cedar allergy. More info is readily available on schools in whatever city you're interested in.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:13 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Never been to Telluride or Crested Butte have you?
You must have missed my Crested Butte and Black Canyon photo tours. Drove back and forth on the Million Dollar Highway a couple of times. Telluride, Ouray, very jagged peaked mountains.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...l#post53535235

Can't find a photo tour. I just dropped a few pics in someone else's Montrose thread.

Can't find my Crested Butte pics now, but here's someone else's nice Hwy 550 pics ( Million dollar hwy)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/49023587-post644.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjrodrigu View Post
Thanks McGowdog,

As you can see I'm not in Double Secret Probation, nor do I have any reputation, let alone having yours!!

If you could please help me get to those 785, and counting... answers (I wanted to be part of the counting) I will be happy to read them.

Thanks!
You're welcome.

You have some rep now.

I attached a link to a bunch of photo threads below. Should be some conversations of the Pueblo County and Southern Colorado area in there.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14292208-post20.html

Last edited by McGowdog; 02-13-2019 at 09:06 PM..

Old 02-14-2019, 12:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
By affordable housing I mean a house under $260k.

I would be working remotely, could live anywhere in Colorado.

Thanks for your reply!
Colorado working remote and <$260k housing... I would head to the medium sized towns on western slope or southern CO near NM. $260k is not gonna be ez to find apart from very rural CO.

Do be advised of the HC costs in CO! (If you need to buy on HC exchange)

There are several other mtn states to consider.

Make a weighted spreadsheet and run the numbers.

Working from home...??

Why, oh Why... would you not go a few minutes NORTH of Colorado?

Welcome to Wonderful "Income tax free" WY! As are somewhat nearby SD, NV, WA (AK is income AND sales tax free and has good school funding). WA has FREE FT college instead of HS. (since 1991). Eastern WA is arid and has FIBER ... very Cheap fiber and power.

WY has Great schools with superb funding (excellent EDU infrastructure + state scholarships) and VERY inexpensive College!!! $6k / yr (an excellent one at that! Eng and EDU and AG is top notch)

There are some really nice communities in WY (a few). Some quite close to CO, others near UT (for EZ access to SLC and great snow!)

Old 02-14-2019, 09:46 AM

Thanks a lot StealthRabbit! I appreciate this as Wyoming is a new option to me, I didn't consider it.

What cities should I consider in Wyoming? Laramie? Cherokee?

I've been trying to tell apart good from bad schools using the schools listed in realtor portals, which use www.greatschools.com, and don't seem to find grades higher than 7 in laramie and cherokee, I'm wondering if greatschools should really be my reference...

Old 02-14-2019, 09:54 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot StealthRabbit! I appreciate this as Wyoming is a new option to me, I didn't consider it.

I've been trying to tell apart good from bad schools using the schools listed in realtor portals, which use www.greatschools.com, and don't seem to find grades higher than 7 in laramie and cherokee, I'm wondering if greatschools should really be my reference...
I think you mean Cheyenne, not Cherokee?

Old 02-14-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Hello,

I'm looking for insight/help as I'm planning to move from Austin Texas to Colorado (so far I'm thinking of Colorado Springs).

The reason I'm moving is because I'm not doing well with Cedar / Oak / Mold allergies in Austin, I saw that Colorado doesn't have Cedar pollen in the winter, and after experiencing cedar fever I think that Oak is not the biggest concern anymore.

I'm from a part in Mexico where altitude and dryness is almost the same than Colorado, so I'm used to it and I can bear it better than humidity and mold, I'm a little concerned about cold, but dryness also help feel less cold, ...

The problem I'm finding now is that I'm not sure if Cedar is an issue in Colorado at any other moment during the year... is it?

Thanks for your help and comments.
Due to your health concerns (and being a Hill Country resident myself)..
1) get some allergy tests BEFORE you up and move.

Pollen could be an irritant to you, and many areas / sources could be just as miserable as Austin (which is terrible for friends and neighbors I know... Cedar pollen clouds that cast a hue in the air for many weeks)

You could be sensitive to conifer (which may make the forested areas of Colorado (anywhere with evergreen forests) miserable for you)

Possibly, you will need prairie / High desert - (think AZ, NV , UT) + parts of NM, CO, WY, MT

beware: Grass can also be very pollen laden, even in wet climates.

Cold... if sunny (CO, NM, WY, UT, NV, AZ) you can usually survive well, but be very cautious on your home location (not in a valley / north side of hill / tree sheltered / or wind exposed).

Much to consider... get the allergy tests FIRST, then come back to C-D with a set of specific climates / objectives.

Your place is out there, somewhere...

Old 02-14-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:

For WY... preferred destinations / schools with lower housing costs = Powell, (jr College + hospital), Sheridan (Jr College and Hospital, but more expensive (and pretty) than Powell.

Lovell, Worland, Newcastle, Sundance, Torrington....

I was thinking Centennial and Saratoga as closer to CO. Encampment is very small town, but quite close to CO and very nice community.

Colorado... (lower cost housing than CoS);
Gunnison, (Cold)... Montrose, Del Norte, Alamosa, Salida, Grand Junction, Craig, Kremmling (Note these are FAR different cities (towns) than Austin! But very nice communities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado