Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 12:08 AM

91 posts, read 83,475 times

Advertisements

I moved to CO from the east coast for grad school at Anschutz a bit over a year ago. If I'm honest, more of my school decision was about location than the actual school (though when I visited Anschutz it seemed like a good fit anyway). I am currently on a 2-year lease within walking distance to the campus. Trying to figure out where would be ideal for me after my lease is up (which is July 2020). I do not plan on leaving CO as I don't see a compelling reason to leave, or a convincing reason why somewhere else would be any better. I am more or less content for now (given my current situation, being in school full-time), but here is my experience so far at my current location/in Denver metro:

1.) I am kind of over major cities. One of many reasons I moved here. (I was born in NYC and kinda feel like a victim of circumstance, basically my parents ended up there from the 70s onwards for work). When I was initially looking at housing, the area around Hale/Montclair seemed like the sweet spot since I needed to be somewhat near Anschutz.

2.) Like south Aurora (like very south e.g. Southlands) because it is sort of away from everything, more peaceful and spread out compared to most of the metro area. However, it is a bit out of the way of the I-70 corridor and I intend to be regularly traveling west during ski season.

• I took a few riding lessons last season, it is on my bucket list to learn and I have even been taking private indoor lessons every week since September so I can get out there more this year! I am wondering if there is a place I can have it both ways (more solitude but not any more out of the way of the mountains than Denver is).
  • I am also a night owl, so from my perspective stuff closes too early in Aurora. I prefer the hours in the same places I don't like the crowds (Cap Hill, LoDo, etc). Part of the reason for that though is because it's so quiet at night. I think the area around DU might be a good balance of the two?

3.) Also like some of the other southern suburbs too (Littleton, Englewood, Greenwood Village), as well as Wheat Ridge and Arvada. The problem with all of these, but especially the western suburbs is the traffic to/from Denver.

4.) I'm studying biostatistics and epidemiology so probably will be doing research/data analyst type work. It seems like career-wise, most opportunities will be in Denver, otherwise I would probably just go wherever. I don't want to live somewhere too ritzy or expensive (i.e. Cherry Creek), but anticipate a comfortable salary.

5.) There's also Castle Rock and Springs...Though Castle Rock seems a bit too familiy-oriented. I am a going-on-30 y/o male that is good at being single and not hell bent on marriage or kids in the near future (as in, I like my personal time/space and would not mind living alone, especially in a fairly spacious apartment...) I think politically Springs might actually be a better fit for me, my politics are pretty purple and even lean libertarian in some cases.
  • From time to time, I get this itch to go somewhere isolated and just stay in a cabin..indefinitely, lol. Right now, I can't get out of the city as much as I'd like to.

6.) I like the more towny feel around Ft Collins and Loveland, just not sure what else is there for me up there? From what I've heard the CDC in Ft Collins is more animal than human oriented so I just don't know, job-wise.

7.) Overall, based on what I've described above, I am leaning towards somewhere south of 25, but not sure if I'm on the right track there.

Thanks in advance for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 07:19 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,527,026 times
I think you have a bit of conflict between #1 and #2 - you say you're over big cities but wanting more night life than Aurora offers. So, you might want to decide which is more important to you.

I might suggest that you can avoid most of the I-70 traffic for skiing if you can get work in the Springs area. Woodland Park would put you even closer and possibly get you that cabin but it is just about the deadest place ever in terms of nightlife.

I have a friend who works at the CDC in Ft. Collins and his work is human-related so I wouldn't rule it out.

It seems to me that where you land work is going to be the overriding factor.

Last edited by otowi; 11-17-2019 at 08:32 AM..

Old 11-17-2019, 08:26 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,708,268 times
You have a lot of conflicting desires. I know when we searched for our “perfect” area you realize that if a place hits 7 or 8 out of 10, go for it. It comes to priorities and things you can do without.

Old 11-17-2019, 02:16 PM

91 posts, read 83,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think you have a bit of conflict between #1 and #2 - you say you're over big cities but wanting more night life than Aurora offers. So, you might want to decide which is more important to you.
Yeah that is why I considered DU area. Fairly quiet but an ok amount of places open late. Though I don't know if I'd call it night life per se. I don't want to be out at rowdy bars til 3am (or like ever).

The other day I was at a Kohl's at like 10-11pm for an Amazon dropoff and one of the associates said "this is a perfect time to shop... not that I wanna be here right now", I said "yeah it's great". Because no one was there haha... My gym habits are similar.

Old 12-25-2019, 07:12 PM

20 posts, read 37,898 times
That makes complete sense #1 and #2 objectives, that is not contradictory... not looking to be somewhere annoyingly busy or annoyingly hip, but not looking to be bored to tears in the burbs... It is certainly a difficult balance to achieve and obviously everyone knows, no you can't have everything.

Old 12-26-2019, 04:55 PM

788 posts, read 1,742,825 times
Fort Collins/Loveland is a wonderful location and would probably fit your criteria (7/8)but the problem is everyone wants to live there. I lived there for 8 years and noticed quite a few people working in jobs below their skill/education level. The commute into Denver in the winter would be a deal breaker for me but a lot of people do it.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:36 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
I would look more at the areas surrounding DU for both quiet and easy access to City life. Harvard Gulch, Platt Park, University Hills, Englewood.

DU itself can be hectic but the areas just on the edge sound like they would be a great fit for what you’re looking for.

Last edited by MissTerri; 12-27-2019 at 11:44 AM..

Old 01-26-2020, 09:26 PM

20 posts, read 22,694 times
I agree with the others and suggest you look around DU and Platt Park if you're going to be working in Aurora. I live in Golden and the western 'burbs are great, but I previously had to commute to Aurora and it was a miserable commute.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:29 PM

385 posts, read 324,436 times
I think you need to be in a holding pattern -- not putting down serious roots -- until you graduate from school.

Then find a job first, and figure out where to live. Living where you want to live but being unemployed or underemployed ain't fun.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
Fort Collins/Loveland is a wonderful location and would probably fit your criteria (7/8)but the problem is everyone wants to live there. ... quite a few people working in jobs below their skill/education level. ....
the OP may have a hidden weapon in the job search! Might be a perfect match for a techy, high skilled, night or weekend shift job!

Worked for me from Masonville (no crowds, population 5 at the time) 20 min to FtC and 20 Min to Loveland.

I had a great high tech night shift job, and very few people desire to work night shift. (no competition, plenty of great job opportunities!)
  1. More pay (15%)
  2. Paid lunch breaks (shorter shift)
  3. We got our food provided (free) so we would stay on task and not have to wander out to a bar to find food. )
  4. No bosses
  5. No interruptions
  6. Unlimited Overtime (great way for stashing winter cash for summer fun)
  7. More responsibilities, better career learning / growth. You must MAKE the decisions rather than run to ask the boss.. (You must be capable to do all the processes that a herd of people on day-shift are stumbling over each other to find space / machines / workspace)
  8. And the BEST part (drum roll)... No stinking, whining, backstabbing day-shifters seeking upward career mobility over your dead body

What a perfect 'work' world it was. Every DAY was a DAY off to enjoy Colorado sunshine and midweek non-crowded recreation. Working nights was a breeze (and financially provided for a very early retirement / end of employment).

I did that in CO from age 16 - 29, but by age 30 I was 'over' CO, and headed to an income tax free state with high wages, high mtns, and plenty of coastline, and easy access to BC Canada which has a lot more of the same. At the time it was a 40% wage increase to leave CO (income tax and lower wages in my field) , that sweetened the deal. Poof, GONE. Tho come to CO at least once / month. Higher wages allows that.

OP can just look for that 'perfect match' of job, hours, living region, wages, access to recreation and hobbies.
Choose a place 20 min to work and 20 min to colleges / entertainment, and 20 min to recreation. And within 40 min of an international airport in case you need a frequent escape.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-27-2020 at 07:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado