Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 06:38 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times

Advertisements

I think I might try this route next time I head out this way unless I'm in a big hurry - I am not a huge fan of Monarch Pass and would enjoy the different scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 07:01 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Interloper, I really like your alternative. I'm like otowi, I'm going to try this route next time!

Old 07-09-2020, 08:25 AM

317 posts, read 475,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Interloper, I really like your alternative. I'm like otowi, I'm going to try this route next time!
It's worth it, especially if you're not in a hurry and also aren't a fan of driving Monarch Pass. For me it's the shortest route to the Western Slope, Gunnison, and/or Crested Butte from where I live so I drive it more out of practicality, but I do love it for the scenery.

Cochetopa Pass also rarely closes in the winter due to weather, so it's also handy when Monarch gets closed due to avalanche mitigation or severe winter storms.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:13 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
I propose the alternative of taking of Highway 114 east of Gunnison to bypass Monarch Pass. You'll have to take Cochetopa Pass on Highway 114, but it's much more tame than Monarch Pass. Not nearly as steep or high up, less traffic, and more guardrails. You would then circle through Saguache and up to Villa Grove via Highway 285, taking 285 over Poncha Pass (barely even a mountain pass by Colorado standards, no scary dropoffs) into Poncha Springs to rejoin Highway 50.

This would be a much tamer alternative than Monarch Pass as well as much shorter drive and far less traffic than going up to I-70.
This makes me want to go NOW and dh just said why not? Just for the fun of it. I'm ready to try a new road.

Monarch Pass doesn't scare me that much for the drop-offs but I'm not a fan of the traffic behind me wanting to go so much faster than I want to go.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:33 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,494 times
Wow! Thank you so much, Interloper1138!
The drive was completely in my "comfort zone." There was very little traffic, and plenty of places to pull to the side if someone faster than me got behind me. It was really beautiful too--we enjoyed seeing the river along the route 50.

I really appreciate your help!

Old 07-09-2020, 06:36 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
The drive was completely in my "comfort zone." There was very little traffic, and plenty of places to pull to the side if someone faster than me got behind me. It was really beautiful too--we enjoyed seeing the river along the route 50.

Thanks for the follow-up! Glad to hear that you did well and enjoyed the drive. So many people never come back after asking their questions.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:07 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
This makes me want to go NOW and dh just said why not? Just for the fun of it. I'm ready to try a new road.

Monarch Pass doesn't scare me that much for the drop-offs but I'm not a fan of the traffic behind me wanting to go so much faster than I want to go.
That's my main issue with it too.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:58 AM

317 posts, read 475,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post

Glad to hear it! Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado