Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,676 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm new here but I'm just curious as to good hunting locations in Colorado where I can sight-in before the season really begins. I live in the greater Denver area (Boulder). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Your best bet is to go anywhere out east and start looking for mounds...

There's tons of them in the Midway Ranch area south of Fountain too, and it's all accessible land for the most part, just don't shoot towards the houses.

Last edited by ryanek9freak; 10-10-2011 at 06:35 PM..

Old 10-12-2011, 05:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysam View Post
I won't "blast" but c'mon? What is the fun in shooting living creatures and ending their lives? It's pretty morbid to me.
It's like squishing mosquitos. They're a nuisance, cause harm, and provide no benefit to man.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:23 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
When I was a kid I got paid $0.10 for each dead prairie dog I shot, on the farm.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,948 times
Default Id be interested,a couple friends and i.

we recently purchased small games air rifles but tired of target shooting would love the opportunity to take care of your critter problem. so PLEASE ask your husband and contact me by email at [email]nomedrodriguez@gmail.com[/email] PLEASE AND THANKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I could ask my man if he's allow some hunting on his property in Fountain, if you're interested.

There's tons of those little bastards out there.

Last edited by patt2319; 04-16-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,948 times
my friend an i recently purchased small game air riffles an were tired of target practice we would love the opportunity to help out with some of those critters,so PLEASE ask your husband and contact me by email at [email]nomedrodriguez@gmail.com[/email] PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,549 times
Default A Prairie Dog Companion

I am not sure if this is normal, I only know that I have never seen prairie dogs in my Manitou Springs neighborhood. But I have one now, and it seems rather unusual.

I have no clue what to do ... I'm wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this problem, and if so, what did you do about it? I'm out of work and can't afford anything that might be costly, like hiring someone to trap it. I sent a question to the extension at CSU - they told me the first thing I had to do was find out if it was a protected species.

In the meantime - the holes are multiplying. I have a rock yard with plastic underneath, and the critter is eating through the plastic. It has also made holes in my dirt driveway.

So far I've only seen one, and I went right up to it and it just sat there half out of the hole looking at me, as brazen as could be! It's awfully cute, but I don't like to think of the possible damage it could inflict.

Any ideas that won't cost me?

Old 08-15-2012, 04:41 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
It might be a ground squirrel or vole - I think prairie dogs usually live in colonies?
You can smoke it out of its hole - if it is a vole it usually has 3 separate holes, when it is out you can fill them in but you would also need to trap the animal and then relocate it to keep it from putting more holes most likely.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,549 times
Default It's a prairie dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
It might be a ground squirrel or vole - I think prairie dogs usually live in colonies?
You can smoke it out of its hole - if it is a vole it usually has 3 separate holes, when it is out you can fill them in but you would also need to trap the animal and then relocate it to keep it from putting more holes most likely.
No ... it's a prairie dog - I got up right close and personal, and then looked at images online. I've observed some unusual critter behavior this summer - so perhaps this is just another instance of that. There's something going on under my land, because the neighbor's dog (whom I babysit quite often), is obsessed with standing there looking at the ground, a confused look on her face.

I haven't figured out what to do, yet. I don't have the technology or the $$ to trap animals.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:34 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Miners lamps used to use Carbide pellets for power. A few pellets exposed to water, makes a type of flammable and explosive gas. A type of acetylene gas.

When I was a kid, we had a lot of gophers that do the same type of damage that prairie dogs do. We would open a gopher hole, drop a hand full of carbide pellets (many people call it miners lamp) into the hole, pour in a cup of water and wait for a little while for the gas to disperse around the tunnels. Then have a flaming torch ready and open the hole, ignite the gas coming out with the torch, and listen to the rumbling explosion for quite a distance around the field which wipes out the burrowing animals in the hole. Doesn't take long to wipe out the whole den.

For you city people, yes animals do step in the prairie dog holes and break legs. Happens every year. They also destroy a lot of crop and grazing land to the point it is near useless. They may look cute to city dwellers, but are a constant drain on farmers and ranchers bank accounts in lost animals and lost crops and grazing land.

Prairie dogs are a pest to farmers, and ranchers, and need eliminated. They cost hundreds and often 10s of thousands of dollars in damage to just one farm or ranch. If you can show farmers and ranchers you are a safe, and responsible hunter, and will not shoot his family, employees, equipment, and animals you have a good chance of being invited to shoot those pests for them. When done for the day, stop by and let him know how successful you were, and he will invite you back. Bring him a good bottle of wine to show your appreciation, and who knows you may become a friend after a few shoots and be invited to do your big game hunting there on his place if it is the right size and location to show his appreciation for you wiping out his pests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado