Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 04:49 PM

28 posts, read 416,379 times

Advertisements

We're considering the Evergreen/ Denver vs Woodland Park/ Colo Springs areas. We would welcome any comparisons/ info between the two areas. Particularly, which area would be better for accessing public hunting lands or fishing? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 06:42 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,868 times
I can't help much with Denver, but I can tell you a little about the hunting/fishing spots we hit while we lived in the Springs.

If you like ice fishing, try Elevenmile state park or Antero reservior...both are past Woodland Park a ways on hwy 24. I can't remember exactly how far, but it was easily doable as a day trip. Great clearwater rainbow trout fishing! (kind of like fishing in an aquarium!)

If you enjoy fishing for warmwater species, you'll probably have to go east. John Martin reservoir (now a state park) is very large and has some decent fish. It IS a bit of a drive, but great for a weekend camping trip.

We don't fly fish, so can't help with specifcs, but we've seen a lot of folks fish the mtn. streams not far from Woodland Park.

If you pheasant hunt, there are some small pockets of BLM land not too far east of the Springs. You might have better luck hunting private farms or ranches though. My husband hooked up with some guys he found on some message board who had permission to hunt private land a little east of Pueblo. Another option is to hit the national grasslands (on the way to John Martin.) Just check to see what the hunting regulations are before you go though.

There's lots of public land in the mountains west of the Springs (forest service and BLM) if you want to look for wild turkeys or grouse. We saw a whole pack (flock?) of turkeys once kind of by Canon city.

My husband didn't do any big game hunting when we lived there, so I don't have specifics on that.

Again, I'm not too sure on how accessible public lands are from Denver, but I do know that getting to the mtns. on a Friday evening from COS is a lot easier than from Denver, just simply becasue there's less traffic. When we went hunting/fishing, we were pleasantly surprised that our spots weren't completely overrrun with a millon other people when we got there, so that was definitely a bonus too.

Good luck!

Old 09-16-2006, 09:36 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,561 times
Hey there-

Eleven Mile has a beautiful canyon below it. We go camping and fly fishing there atleast for times a summer. However, I do have a website that gives you informatoin on places to go in Colorado. Also, there is a book out, I think it is called, "100 best places to camp in Colorado". That has alot of great info. I think that Woodland Park has more affordable housing then Evergreen.

SHEP

Old 09-17-2006, 04:40 PM

28 posts, read 416,379 times
Thanks everyone, for the info. Bashep- could I get that website address?

Old 09-17-2006, 06:18 PM

Here is the website. www.reserveamerica.com, this website gives you all the campgrounds across the U.S. and it allows you to make reservations on it aswell. also look up http://www.parks.state.co.us/ For hunting you have http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/ or http://www.colorado-outfitters.com. I hope this helps ya, if you need more info I can find some more.. SHEP

Old 04-23-2007, 02:58 PM

20 posts, read 68,791 times
Default Fly Fishing / Hunting

Does anybody know where are some decent fly fishing streams/rivers that aren't too crowded and within about 3 hours of CS? Also any input about the hunting situation nearby.
Thanks

Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 PM

Hey there- My husband is an avid Fly Fisherman, he loves Eleven Mile canyon, it is just gorgeous! I think he also goes to Dublin and somewhere around Canon City. bashep

Old 04-24-2007, 10:57 AM

I will look into Eleven Mile, I have never been there but here it is pretty much the closet lake/reservoir from Colorado Springs. Are there a lot of boats and jet skis on the lake over the summer?

Old 04-24-2007, 12:52 PM

Actually Eleven Mile Canyon is below the lake, behind the dam. So, you don't even hear the jet ski's, boats or anything. It is very peaceful and quite. You do not go the same route that you would go to get to the lake. It is it's own little area. You will be in awwhhh how beautiful it is. We camp there too. It is amazing. bashep

Old 04-25-2007, 08:25 AM

Its sounds great, I will definitely be taking a visit this summer. Does it get pretty crowded over holidays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado