Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Cin Cin started this thread

72 posts, read 308,321 times

Advertisements

Hi anyone..everyone. Still house searching. I have never dreamed of having golfers passing through my back yard or balls flying toward my house but sometimes some pretty nice homes appear and have nice views but are backed up to the courses here in FC...how much of a problem is this? I mean the few I have seen have not put in trees for privacy..so that would be a must...but is this just a bad idea? Cin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 06:56 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Generally, it's considered a "plus" to back up to a golf course because of the "green vistas" and open space. Nobody will be building another house right against your lot. Plus, if you're a golfer ... it's a live spectator show right on your doorstep, and you've got a golf course close by.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:19 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
I too believe it is a plus to back to open space or a golf course.

Make sure your windows aren't in a position to be hit by errant balls, at least not often.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:29 AM

110 posts, read 473,801 times
Yes, it is generally a plus and adds value to a house IF the developer built in enough space so the homeowner does not have to worry about golf balls hitting your house, windows or even a person while sitting on your patio.

If the houses are too close it can become an adventure to even step into your back yard and is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:57 AM

THANKS ALL , this lot is a culdesac and is only a yard size of .2 which I believe is approx 9,000 sq ft maybe a bit less. Since it is winter you can't see any golfers or plot lines etc...the house is very open to the golf course which is why I think it hasn't sold yet. So I have doubts...I guess that means probobly not good. Cin

Old 01-23-2007, 10:31 AM

66 posts, read 493,849 times
A home on a golf course will have a higher value than the same model right across the street. The huge amount of open space behind you, not to mention that it is very well kept, is a big plus. I wouldn[t mind living on a course myself!

However, on the flip side - from my personal standpoint, being a hacker and all. Here's what you can expect living on a public course - and maybe private, but not as likely.

I have hit houses before - on the roof, and on the side - although it has been a few years. Fortunately no windows! But with your luck lately, you'd probably get hammered. You want to buy a home, if possible, that is located near the teebox, or one or two homes down from the box because they are less likely to get hit. The next safest area is near the green. Any home along the fairway, 150 - 250 yards out, is a house waiting to get hit.
At times, you will hear some loud, atrocious language and laughter from golfers has they comment on their errant shots, or the shots of their partners. If you are in the back yard a lot, or have windows open, and your children are within earshot, they may hear things you don't want them hearing!

You will probably become the owner of many golf balls, as golfers are not to cross over into a private yard to retrieve an errant shot. Your children can collect them and resell them back to the course or to golfers who walk by.

Best of luck. Fore!!!!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:57 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrea View Post
..... You will probably become the owner of many golf balls, as golfers are not to cross over into a private yard to retrieve an errant shot. Your children can collect them and resell them back to the course or to golfers who walk by. Best of luck. Fore!!!!
TRUE. One of my pals, retired 15 years or so, back in the MD suburbs of DC, lives on a golf course. He collects the lost golf balls, puts them in egg cartons and sells them by the dozen. Historian that he is, he keeps count. At the last retiree luncheon I attended in May 2005, he reports having collected over 45,000 golf balls. Of course, he is out looking for them all over the neighborhood, but still....that's a lot of golf balls....

s/Mike from back east

Old 01-23-2007, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the honest if not hillarious replies Mike and ncrea...so are you saying for anyone but me...the golf course lots would be good(lol)..I believe my hubby and I will attempt to get a plot map...talk to neighbors etc. go to the golf course directly to find out as much as possible. Tough call for me...wanting the open space...knowing I have a little bad luck with some issues regarding homes.Really appreciate the insight. Cin

Old 01-23-2007, 03:15 PM

853 posts, read 968,462 times
Default Something else to consider

is not necessarily damage to your property as a result of golf balls taking out windows, but physical harm to you or one of your family members. My friend's neighbor was hit dead on by a golf ball while she was gardening and she sustained permanent brain damage. While this may be an extreme case, it does happen. In fact, my friend also suffered an injury while out in her backyard; luckily for her it was superficial in comparison to her next door neighbor. Anyway, long story short - my friend said that based on her own personal experience, she would not consider buying another home that borders a golf course.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:34 PM

Thanks again.....as I have said...I am not the luckiest. But I am blessed and I want to keep it that way. Cin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado