Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmustang View Post
Wow... this is the first thread I read after joining looking to get some info on your beautiful state. Are all CO natives this angry and unwilling to help new people? Does anyone know of another forum that I can go to get some information? I am trying to gather some information and really don't want to start any threads that are going to upset anyone or have anyone make a bunch of mean/rude comments on. It appears my stay here on this site will be short...

Thanks in advance.
I am not a native, but I've lived here 28 yrs, so I feel like one! These questions come up over and over. I concur with COflower: simply DO A SEARCH first. What do people mean they don't have time to search? The regulars don't have time to key in the same information to the same questions over and over again, either. Once you've done your search, ask the questions that come to mind. How many inches of snow does Denver get is an easily searched question. It's on here, it's on all the major weathersites, etc. The mountain towns may be harder, but at least try first. I'd rather answer, "how does the snow affect life in the winter?", than how much snow, or even (which I've seen on here) "does it snow in Denver?" If you are thinking of living here, you really need to do your research. You should not expect everyone else to do it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 11:32 AM

336 posts, read 697,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_Snow View Post
As far as the weather thing goes, that data is not always easy to find. I did a GOOGLE search on the snowiest cities in CO, cities with highest snowfall totals, etc and my results all came back with Denver as being the snowiest. And we all know that is not true. A lot of your smaller mountain towns won't show up in searches like that. And certain weather sites are very hard to maneuver around to find your information. Then when you search for weather on these forums... pages and pages come up that you need to go through. So instead of searching for hours on end, its easier to just ask someone.

I would rather ask someone, then spend a bunch of time using Google and searching around for something I may not find the answer to, then all I have done is waste my time.

And if you see another "what's the weather like" post, why not just ignore it?

The weather channel...or weather.com always gives pretty good and
fairly accurate weather and then I think Jazzlover told us about Weatherbase.com and that is really informative as for the areas and
what goes on there year round....I know it gets repetitive answering
questions from people who have never lived in snow...but it's also
something for concern when people think they want to live somewhere
and aren't familiar with the circumstances...there is always the option
of *not* answering over and over...let someone else answer the
poster and if they do not get a response...then they will search a
little more in depth themselves... I have my own concerns in
reading that it's already like 29 in Livermore with 3 inches of snow...
I have NEVER driven in snow and am planning on making another
road trip to Colorado to check out a few homes...so anyone have
any advice for me about that...???

Old 10-12-2008, 11:34 AM

274 posts, read 627,760 times
I apologize to all for if I upset anyone.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 4,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am not a native, but I've lived here 28 yrs, so I feel like one! These questions come up over and over. I concur with COflower: simply DO A SEARCH first. What do people mean they don't have time to search? The regulars don't have time to key in the same information to the same questions over and over again, either. Once you've done your search, ask the questions that come to mind. How many inches of snow does Denver get is an easily searched question. It's on here, it's on all the major weathersites, etc. The mountain towns may be harder, but at least try first. I'd rather answer, "how does the snow affect life in the winter?", than how much snow, or even (which I've seen on here) "does it snow in Denver?" If you are thinking of living here, you really need to do your research. You should not expect everyone else to do it for you.
I agree with you 100%.. I do plan on doing lots of searches and research before posting any questions.

This was the first thread I read because of it's title and it just caught me off guard as to how upset people are getting. But I will definitely make sure to not ask any "weather" related questions!! LOL!!

Old 10-12-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri722 View Post
The weather channel...or weather.com always gives pretty good and
fairly accurate weather and then I think Jazzlover told us about Weatherbase.com and that is really informative as for the areas and
what goes on there year round....I know it gets repetitive answering
questions from people who have never lived in snow...but it's also
something for concern when people think they want to live somewhere
and aren't familiar with the circumstances...there is always the option
of *not* answering over and over...let someone else answer the
poster and if they do not get a response...then they will search a
little more in depth themselves... I have my own concerns in
reading that it's already like 29 in Livermore with 3 inches of snow...

Haha...going to post to my own post...I didn't read all the the threads
before writing this...and I see now that Jazz again told of weatherbase...
sooo..oops...haha

Old 10-12-2008, 11:40 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Do a search to look up questions that are factual and easily answerable. Do a search to get an overview of different areas you are looking at, see what's already been said. Do a search to get an idea of the common challenges/ problems newcomers to Colorado face. That being said, city-data is more than question-answer-question-answer. If that's all city-data was, I wouldn't waste my time here. Where this forum really shines is when it comes to helping new people, and even the oldtimers think things out when it comes to relocation-- do I really want to move to Colorado? Where would I best fit? Why do I want to move to ____? Everybody's individual situation is different. There are a lot of posters here from all different walks of life, different experiences, who can really help out-- but conversation takes effort. In order for posters here to provide help and advice, the new poster really needs to flesh out the detail of their situation, and follow up, so it's really a two-way conversation going on.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I apologize to all for if I upset anyone.

No reason to apologize Snow...this is an open forum...no one is forcing
anyone to repeatedly answer anything...so if they do, they are wanting to...you are just trying to find answers...like any of us who do not already
live in that area...I am beginning to think that the cold ass weather
causes *frozen nipple syndrome* haha...in other words...people are
very touchy....

Old 10-12-2008, 11:51 AM

274 posts, read 627,760 times
How hard would it be for the moderators to put a "Sticky" up for weather links? I think it would be help as this question gets asked a lot.

When I first joined those were the majority of my questions as I was trying to find lots of snow. I lived in Michigan for 30 years and was trying to find cities with more snow then where I grew up at. I have since narrowed my cities down, but if there was a sticky, I wouldn't have had to ask as many questions as I did.

And actually that link that "Jazzlover" gave has been one of the best if not THE best one I have used so far.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:31 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri722 View Post
When you leave Texas, head for Detroit, and go through lower MI into the UP. From there, generally head toward Duluth, and then over to Grand Forks and Minot. Keep on highway 2 to Malta, and then head toward Billings. After you get to billings its a quick trip on 90 to 25, and then straight down to Ft. Collins.

You'll know how to drive in snow by the time you get here.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:38 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
How hard would it be for the moderators to put a "Sticky" up for weather links? I think it would be help as this question gets asked a lot.

When I first joined those were the majority of my questions as I was trying to find lots of snow. I lived in Michigan for 30 years and was trying to find cities with more snow then where I grew up at. I have since narrowed my cities down, but if there was a sticky, I wouldn't have had to ask as many questions as I did.

And actually that link that "Jazzlover" gave has been one of the best if not THE best one I have used so far.
I've served two tours as the Moderator for all of Colorado's forums. I have many of the same frustrations as CoFlower.

Sticky threads are limited to 1 or 2 per forum, max, by the site owner, otherwise the whole first page would be stickies. At one time I had about 9 stickies in the Denver forum, and started taking heat from people for having too many - they were right.

The system gives certain rights and authorizations to mods, which I used to good advantage when I built the index threads. I did a lot of merging of similar threads, combining several duplicate threads into one very informative one.

I'm the only Mod who spent days of time managing the threads to come up with indexes for each of my forums.

Go to the index for this forum, a sticky; you will find at least NINE threads on snow and THREE threads on weather in general.

The search tool works fine, is very intuitive and one can self-teach themselves how to vary the aspects to zero in on specific data.

Preferred etiquette is to first find a thread that is on the same topic as the topic of your interest (snow, snowiest), find a thread that is at least close, then ADD a new post to the EXISTING thread, rather than start a totally new thread and take us all down the same old path again. By appending your new question to an old thread, it shows US that you've made an effort, have read what WE have already taken OUR time to key in, thus the REST of us know we only need to zero in on your narrowed-down issue, not the entire broad topic of snow and weather, which has been covered here for almost 3 years, exhaustively.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-12-2008 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado