Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:59 PM

543 posts, read 1,228,254 times

Advertisements

Are there any Florida transplants out there that can tell us how things really are going in Colorado for you? Was it a culture shock for you? Are you glad you moved there? What are the pros and cons of a Floridian living in Co? Is the snow too much for you?
Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 05:40 PM

13 posts, read 125,986 times
Check out my post on this thread - Am I crazy...leaving all my friends behind to move to Denver?

Old 03-09-2007, 09:14 PM

8 posts, read 37,856 times
Hi, I would have been interested in any input on this subject as well, however was unfortunately unable to access the other post....????

I live in Central Florida and although I was born in Denver have lived away for 20 yrs so am a bit nervous about going back to a different climate....
We are hoping to move to the Denver area (Highland's Ranch) ASAP-
I am so excited and yet so nervous....

Any (and I mean ANY) suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:03 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
I found it on the Denver forum on the 2nd page.
Am I crazy...leaving all my friends behind to move to Denver?

Welcome to HR. It's a very nice place to call home.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 22,859 times
Default The Floridians I know...

all ended up moving back to FL.

One excuse was there is no Barnes and Noble and Circuit City here. (I live near Aspen)

Another, the guy had not been able to sell his house in West Palm and he could not afford both a mortgage and rent.

The rest could not handle the weather.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:26 PM

13 posts, read 125,986 times
Maybe Aspen and the outlying towns are different but...I've been in the tropics my whole life until a few months ago. I am in Denver and really don't get what the big deal about the weather is. When it is 30 outside it feels like 50 on the east coast. I go running in shorts and tshirt and the ponds are frozen. All you need to do is throw on a sweater really. What is it exactly about the weather?

Old 03-11-2007, 09:34 PM

8 posts, read 37,856 times
Hey! Thx for the replies...
2binDenver: I can't just click on your hyperlink???? don't know why- will try and enter it into url alone...
Mountainqueen: if we move out there (hope to GOD we sell this house), we are NOT gonna treck back this way....(crossing fingers)-
I do love the info I've gotten on HR so far and would love to hear more! We are coming out to visit in 10 days...countdown is ON!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr240sxt View Post
I am in Denver and really don't get what the big deal about the weather is. When it is 30 outside it feels like 50 on the east coast. All you need to do is throw on a sweater really. What is it exactly about the weather?
I have lived in Colorado for 27 years and I agree with you. I lived for 7 yrs in Illinois before that - much worse winter. I grew up in Pennsylvania - ditto. There is a saying that it doesn't snow on snow here. While not entirely true, it's pretty accurate.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:31 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
I'm originally from northeastern Indiana and my wife is from a suburb of Detroit, Mich.. We both knew what living in snow/cold season was like. We both lived in So. Calif. for a number of years (before we met each other and after we got married in 2001). We decided to move here (Englewood first/now Parker) in 2001. We found out real fast just how much we missed the winters, the first winter we were here. The weather in So. Calif. is very dull compared to the weather here. It was a very nice change. However, since I had hip replacement surgery done in 2005 and last month (Feb 2007) had right shoulder surgery done (fall on snow/ice in Dec. 2006), we have decided that we have to sell our house here and move to an even "milder" winter climate (Charlotte, NC). Financially (surgery co-pays) and physically we can no longer handle the winters here......but we still LOVE this area and would highly recommend it!!!
However, the mechanic that worked on the trany of our truck did tell us about this couple that moved to Parker from Palm Springs (he done some maintenance on their vehicle). They moved to Parker in the late summer of 2004, bought a house, but the first big snow storm that year that hit......they put their house up for sale and went back to Palm Springs. The mechanic told me, "they looked at me and said, if people want to live in this crap (snow/cold), that is up to them, but we don't".
It sure looked to us like this couple knew very little about the weather here.
We could really understand, especially if the only kind of weather a person knows is Southern California "sun/warm" or Florida "sun/warm", why anyone from those two areas might/would move away from here.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 20,822 times
Hi!
We moved to Pagosa Springs about a month ago and LOVE it. We don't even want to go back to FL to get the rest of our stuff!

I'm a wussy about cold but haven't had a problem adjusting from day one. The air is deliciously dry and the sun makes the temp feel warmer than you think. Until this past week, it seemed to snow every other day but by mid day it usually has melted off.

The people are so much friendlier and open than I've ever experienced and seeing the mountains starts my morning.

The only downside...real estate is very expensive.

Paula
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado