Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:07 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times

Advertisements

Get registered in Colorado BEFORE your CA registration expires, then you'll have no need to renew your CA registration. Instead of driving with CA plates in CO, you'll be driving with CO plates in California. That should work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 04:59 PM

247 posts, read 745,338 times
damn. why didn't I think of that. I was JUST up there and could have done that.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:06 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I'd take sterlinggirl's advice -- and try to get a transit sticker. Otherwise, renew in CA and wait until next year to get your CO plates and registration. It is stupid to pay twice!!
Yeah but that would mean driving around Colorado with California plates for a year and who'd want do to that?

Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 PM

136 posts, read 741,860 times
Apply for registration refund from CA? I haven't got my state tax return yet after more than one month I e-filed my state tax forms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
For the OP, I believe that once you are officially registered in Colorado, you can apply for a refund from the state of California. Of course, with the Golden State facing insolvency, it's unlikely that you'd get it. Still, it's worth checking out.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:04 PM

No way, I want to change to CO plate as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yeah but that would mean driving around Colorado with California plates for a year and who'd want do to that?

Old 03-09-2009, 09:38 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
California registration does, in fact, expire on the day of the month as noted on the registration, without any "grace" period. IF you don't renew on or before the day of expiration, 10% penalties are in effect the next day.

Colorado requires that you register your vehicle within 30 days of moving to the state and obtaining a job here.
Colorado requires you to register your car 30 days after becoming a resident. You do not become a legal resident of Colorado until you have been in the state for 90 consecutive days. So you have a total of 120 days from initial arrival. CO state DMV link below.

Colorado DMV: New Resident Info

Honestly, with an APR 09 tag on the plate, the only way it gets run is if you get stopped for something else. The expected value of the cost if you pay the CA fees is 100% of the CA fees. The expected cost of waiting to get tags as soon as you hit CO is the probability of getting stopped times the fine for not registering. Honestly, how often do you get stopped when driving conservatively?

Also, CO will not issue temp tags unless the vehicle is already in the state.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:16 PM

Thanks. I think I need to renewal my car in CA, and then I will register my car to CO after a couple monthes later when I become a CO resident. This should be the best legal solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Colorado requires you to register your car 30 days after becoming a resident. You do not become a legal resident of Colorado until you have been in the state for 90 consecutive days. So you have a total of 120 days from initial arrival. CO state DMV link below.

Colorado DMV: New Resident Info

Honestly, with an APR 09 tag on the plate, the only way it gets run is if you get stopped for something else. The expected value of the cost if you pay the CA fees is 100% of the CA fees. The expected cost of waiting to get tags as soon as you hit CO is the probability of getting stopped times the fine for not registering. Honestly, how often do you get stopped when driving conservatively?

Also, CO will not issue temp tags unless the vehicle is already in the state.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:58 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,823 times
Will Colorado police care if you are running expired Cal plates? 13 days of driving without a reg. seems like a worthwhile risk if you can run expired plates in Colorado.

But I'm not sure how things work there. In New England, it is fairly common to see expired out-of-state plates. I had an ex-gf that lived in NH with Maine plates that were 3 years past. I currently have an expired NH inspection sticker on my Maine plated truck. As long as I drive sanely, the cops don't seem to care.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:49 AM

541 posts, read 1,224,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
it just cheats one's law-abiding neighbors, who have to ... live with fewer services.
I'd personally consider this a service in and of itself, but that's a whole other issue...

Old 04-18-2009, 06:14 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Will Colorado police care if you are running expired Cal plates? 13 days of driving without a reg. seems like a worthwhile risk if you can run expired plates in Colorado.

But I'm not sure how things work there. In New England, it is fairly common to see expired out-of-state plates. I had an ex-gf that lived in NH with Maine plates that were 3 years past. I currently have an expired NH inspection sticker on my Maine plated truck. As long as I drive sanely, the cops don't seem to care.
I dont see how anyone can get away with driving on expired out of state plates.I drove on colo plates in ca for 4 yrs but i did pay my yearly fee.my car was registered in my bros name & i just mailed him the money for the tags.I NEVER got stopped or snitched on.Even if i got reported all i had to say was its my brothers car & he had to fly back to colo for a family emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado