Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:16 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,016,198 times

Advertisements

I am from Colorado, currently living in Dallas. I just wanted 5 reasons to live in Colorado and wanted to compare with Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 08:36 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,467,333 times
1. We have some of the best mountains in the world.
2. We have nice a variety of cities and life styles on the Front range from Pueblo to Fort Collins in only 150 miles distance then nice mountain towns just a hour or two drive west from any city along the front range.
3. Great summers that are not to hot and humid.
4 Great winters that are not to cold and again not humid.
5. In the middle of the country so its a easy flight to any major city.
6. Bonus one. Pueblo is in Colorado, what state can say that! LOL just joking you all.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:41 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
1) Not as hot in the summer
2) Not humid
3) Summers aren't as long
4) Not humid
5) Winter sports within driving distance

Old 07-03-2009, 06:34 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,016,198 times
I was hoping for more replies. This same question was asked in the Dallas forum and here were their replies on 5 reasons to live in Dallas. I gave 5 reasons not to. anyway here is 2 replies... anyone tell the difference between Colorado and Dallas? Yep some of us live there now because it's CHEAP and there are JOBS.. thats it's for the most part. We just survive.

I would love to move back to colorado, but the job market is not great and the housing you dont get as much for your money. Otherwise to me Colorado is a paradise. I miss it a lot.

lower cost of living than many parts of the country.
good sports
friendly people
fairly strong job market
a great place to raise a family, especially if you have conservative views: that is the burbs, not the city itself..

1.) It's sheer size offers so much opportunity, culture, diversity, sports, etc.
2.) Family.
3.) Job market there destroys SWFL, where I'm from.
4.) Cost of living is lower, especially housing where I'm from.
5.) Great place to raise a young family.
Oh yeah, one huge reason was that it actually has seasons that differ from: "Am-I-really-melting-or-is-it-just-the-humidity-hot" and "I-think-my-skin-has-dripped-to-my-ankles-hot."

Old 07-04-2009, 12:07 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
I'm from the Dallas area and there is no contest. Colorado is the only choice for me. BTW are the DPD as corrupt as they used to be? Demographics improving or going downhill still? How much gang crime now? Big D was always a hard ole town, but it seems to be even worse now.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:57 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
1. Colorado is not Texas.
2. Colorado is not Texas.
3. Colorado is not Texas.
4. Colorado is not Texas.
5. Colorado doesn't have too many rich, arrogant Texans.

Oops, scratch that last one. 4 reasons.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:50 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,700,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post

Well that's pretty funny indeed!

Jazzlover, I'm very curious, why do you apparently detest Texas?? Is there one main reason? Or many? It's a state I'm interested in and don't really know all that much about, so I do hope you reply.

In the meantime, here are my answers for Colorado. I lived in Boulder for 16 years and recently moved away.

1. World class outdoor recreation opportunities and scenery.
2. Very sunny place w nice weather. (Something about such places really keeps my mood upbeat.)
3. Low humidity. (This one is really priceless!)
4. The Front Range. (all the amenities and lifestyle of a hip upcoming urban/suburban place)
5. The Front Range. (right next door to mountains/rural "play" lands, you don't need to put up with living in a tiny, rural town in order to get your naturalistic "kicks")

Last edited by POhdNcrzy; 07-04-2009 at 04:03 PM..

Old 07-04-2009, 05:11 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
Quote:

Actually, I don't detest Texas at all. As I have posted earlier, I have relatives in Texas. Like many Coloradans, though, I get sick of the plentiful type of Texans who seem to favor coming here. They can be arrogant, treat locals like indentured servants, engage in activities ranging from stupid camping and hunting tricks to promoting obnoxious mountain land development (think of that proposed fiasco up at Wolf Creek, conjured up by a rich Texan), and generally treat Colorado and Coloradans with no respect. An awful lot of these morons seem to hail from "big city" Texas--small town Texas folk tend to be pretty decent. Long-time New Mexicans, Wyomingites, Montanans, and Utahns also tend to have the same low opinion of the obnoxious Texas-type people, as well.

There are parts of Texas that I like--but none of the big cities. I also find the climate (heat and humidity) there stifling in most areas, though the Panhandle is somewhat bearable.

Coloradans feelings toward the obnoxious Texas-type can be best summed up by the bumper sticker I saw years ago in Durango: "If Texas is so damned great, why are you up here?"

Old 07-04-2009, 07:12 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,766 times
Quote:

hahah, you beat me to it!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:31 AM

357 posts, read 1,286,800 times
lol, I agree, CO is not texas .

here's my list, not in any particular order:

1. the weather-no humidity!!! it is viciously dry, but it's not hellishly humid, which is a plus in my book . The sun is out, and you can have a blast. nice if you like time outdoors.

2. the people. everyone is really nice for the most part. folks are friendlier than CA and I love that (tho at first it was seriously scary).

3. it's family oriented. kids are everywhere, so if you plan to have kids or have them now, it's great. kids still play outside after school, which is cool.

4.public schools are good. many of the public school districts are pretty good, at least compared to CA. gave us the option of public or private schools, rather than being forced to enroll in private school.

5. Cheap!!! cost of living in general is low, low, low, but then again, I'm coming from CA where everything was high, high, high.

6. bonus, no texas twang (only half kidding . I really didn't want my daughter to grow up with an accent that I found a wee bit disturbing (which ruled out most of the country, lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado