Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:34 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times

Advertisements

hiblusky wrote:
What are your average cost of utilities (water/sewer, gas, electric)?
I don't recall the actual numbers, but I know that our heating/cooling bills average more than $50 a month less than they were in Virginia Beach. I'm thrilled with that because my Colorado house is 1950 sf vs 1360 sf in Virginia Beach...almost 600 sf bigger yet it costs less to heat and cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 10:39 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibluesky View Post
*Where are the nice middle-class areas in Mesa County? We don't have to live specifically in Grand Junction, just anywhere in the city or surrounding area. We want to live in a neighborhood that reflects pride of ownership and low crime but has reasonably affordable housing, approx $150k or so.
If you drive along Patterson road between 31 road and 15th street, the subdivisions on either side are newer, well kept subdivisions. A lot of these are HOAs that have strict regulations regarding the not allowing you to keep boats and RVs parked on your property. This can be a pain if you own a recreational vehicle, but it does help keep the neighborhood look nice.

Quote:
*What cell phone provider has the best coverage?
I use Verizon for work and AT&T for personal, and they both have about the same coverage.

Quote:
*Anything else we should know about?
Shopping is middlin' here. Your not going to find really good shopping, just the usual Walmart, Safeway, and the big chain stores. There's a small mall too.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:43 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibluesky View Post
I was just looking for some general guidance on where to look for housing: Grand Junction, Clifton, Fruita? Where is nice.. where is not so nice?
Stay in Junction. You're not going to find such a big savings in Fruita to justify the drive between there and Junction (15 miles).
Based on your requirements for "low crime" and "nice neighborhood" you probably won't feel comfortable in Clifton.

Housing rental prices are going down as we speak. Look for a nice 3 or 4 bedroom house to rent for $1000-$1100 along Patterson road.

Quote:
I did have another question is anyone is willing to provide the answer: What are your average cost of utilities (water/sewer, gas, electric)?
[/quote]For a three bedroom house (1200 sq feet) where you're somewhat conscious about not leaving the AC/Heater on all the time:

Electric $50
Gas $50
Garbage $20
Sewer/water $20

Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
80skeys wrote:
Stay in Junction. You're not going to find such a big savings in Fruita to justify the drive between there and Junction (15 miles).
Great advice! Even though it is a nice drive, it would get old very quickly. My wife and I thought of living in Fruita, but becasue of the drive, both of us are glad we chose not to. Commuting is a waste of time and energy resources IMO, in addition to adding more pollution to the environment.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,080 times
[FONT=Verdana]Hi I'm glad to hear that you’re interested in moving to Grand Junction, I myself was born and raised in Delta Colorado which is about an hour away from Grand Junction, and my sister and nephew both live in Grand Junction. If you’re looking for area's around GJ, Fruita is a good place to start looking. My Aunt Penny lives out there and her three kids where all schooled around there, and she absolutely loves it. If you’re not afraid to commute to work every day I'd recommend my home town of Delta Colorado, the housing opportunities there are great right now and my mother’s best friend owns a housing company there, and she's a realtor; her name is Becky Tallent. As far as the best coverage I'd say go with Verizon, I've been all over the Mountains up there and I hardly ever loose service unless it's up around Paonia...but all of them don't get service up there.hahaha.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]As far as a neighborhood with trouble....I've never come across one that I would say was "trouble." Grand Junctions a pretty quiet place to live....heading towards the book cliffs is the lower income, but even there it isn't anything to worry about.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I think you should know about a place called Ouray Hot Springs in Ouray Colorado....it was my favorite place growing up, and if your moving to grand junction you have to check it out. The national monument is also something I would recommend, along with sledding in the winter up on grand mesa and visiting Cedaredge, because it's a can't miss little town.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]No matter where you go I'm sure you'll find the house that's right for you, my dad worked for a construction company in GJ for almost 20 years and commuted back to Delta every day. He enjoyed it very much, and I'm sure you will too; I know I sure miss it. If there's anything else you'd like to now I have extensive family all around that area and at least 8 or 9 close relatives in GJ, and to many to count in Delta, Cedaredge, Ekerte, and all over that area. Just message me and I'll be sure to find out for you...good luck with your move.[/FONT]

Old 12-15-2009, 10:16 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,491 times
I would stay away from Clifton. Redlands , Fruita, the North area of Grand Junction and Palisade you will find decent and safe neighborhoods.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:55 AM

102 posts, read 326,331 times
Until about 4 years ago I had a 2,000 sq. ft., two story, 100 year old poorly insulated house in GJ. My electric bill was never over $80 (thanks to evaporative cooling), even in 100 plus degree summers. Gas bill could be brutal ($400) if we had a really cold January, but that improved some after I added some more insulation. Water bill was never more than about $40, but I didn't have a whole lot of grass to keep green in the summer.
Finding a good house in a good neighborhood for 150k might be hard right now, but prices are definitely coming down. Also, I don't know where you're moving from, but property tax and homeowners insurance were shockingly low when I moved to GJ (from Texas). My property tax was about $750 a year on that house, and my homeowners insurance was $250 a year. For comparison purpose, my house in TX is smaller, only valued at $120,000, and my property tax is $2,500 a year, and insurance about $1,200. So basically I could buy a much more expensive property in GJ yet come out with a similar mortgage payment.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,268 times
So how up to speed is GJ and Co. getting rgarding alternative energy? are ther tax rebates and writeoffs for solar, and home energy upgrades?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,153 times
I'm 90% sure my family and I will be moving to Grand Junction from Michigan where I have lived most of my life except going to college in the east and living in Houston my first six years out of college in the early 1980's. The down side ( We'll miss friends,family, the summers and most especially vacationing in the Leelanau Peninsula(Michigan's Gold Coast). However we certainly won't miss the 25% unemployment rate, the generous $362/wk un-employment benefit, the six months of virtually no sun and the hour commute I had to work prior to being layed off and of course the hapless Detroit Lions. We love most outdoor activities so I can't think of a better place to move to then Grand Junction although I must admit I had no idea the place existed until I got a call from a recruiter about a month ago telling me a firm in Grand Junction wanted to talk to me.
Anyway if anyone can give some advice on schools and housing it would be appreciated. My 14-yr old son will be moving with my wife and I but he is a medium functioning autistic child, Does Mesa county have a good special ed program? As far as housing goes my wife and I prefer older homes which I did see some in Palasade and in Grand Junction near Mesa College and the Hospital while I was there on my interview. We will most likely be renting for the first year while we try to sell our home in Michigan so any suggestions would be welcome.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy914 View Post
My property tax was about $750 a year on that house, and my homeowners insurance was $250 a year. For comparison purpose, my house in TX is smaller, only valued at $120,000, and my property tax is $2,500 a year, and insurance about $1,200. So basically I could buy a much more expensive property in GJ yet come out with a similar mortgage payment.
This is true for the moment, but the state governments are broke and taxes are absolutely headed straight up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado