Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:53 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geefreck View Post
All in all, I am interested in a place that has mountains, plenty of trees, and plenty of year-round sunshine. I am also interested in smaller towns.
Plenty of mountains: yes
Plenty of trees: so-so. Some areas of the mountains have lots of forests. Others have succumbed to the pine beetle infestation and have lots of dead trees. Others parts of the mountains are more "raw", dry, rocky, and have less trees. The plains in Eastern Colorado have no trees. The desert in western colorado has no trees.
Year-round sunshine: yes

Quote:
However, I also prefer trees and forested environments, not so much the barren desert (although they can be nice to visit).
You'll have to concentrate on the following areas, which are the more "forested" greener parts of Colorado (or adjacent to/close to):

- Granby
- Glenwood
- Aspen
- Steamboat Springs
- Lake City
- Collbran
- Littleton
- Boulder
- Estes Park

Quote:
I dislike bigger cities for a variety of reasons, ranging from feeling claustrophobic to a detest for light pollution. I enjoy the outdoor activities, peace and quiet, and personal freedoms to be found outside of a big city.
Outside of the Front Range area (mostly Denver) you'll have all the peace and quiet and no noticeable pollution that you want.

Quote:
I've settled on a few places which might be good matches, but I was curious what any of you might think.
Concentrate on the smaller towns that are located in and around the list I gave you above. These are the areas that are located in or close to the alpine forests. The type of trees you'll find are spruce, conifers, pines, aspens. The northern and central parts of Colorado tend to be the wetter parts and have lovely forests. This is around Rocky Mountain National Park and the Holy Cross and Hunter-Fryingpan wildnerness areas. The Grand Mesa in western Colorado is also quite wet and green. Towns in this area include Collbran. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 12:05 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
I second what wanneroo said. The most "treed" parts of Colorado are in the higher elevations, which limits your options. Lots of these areas are national forests or other restricted lands, but it doesn't lock you out entirely.

You know, one of the nicest places I've seen is actually the foothills of Littleton. Once you get outside the main town and up into the mountains. There's houses and land up there that's just in a beautiful mountain setting. But it might be too close to the city lights for your taste.

I'd also like to mention that someplaces you'll find "summer use only." These tend to be the most beautiful settings, but they're only accessible and open during summer months. These tend to be cabins and such things for summer vacationers.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:38 PM

45 posts, read 96,785 times
I think Estes Park might fit the bill but be warned--it is colder and windier than Denver, especially in winter.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:24 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
How about Vermont? Winters can be brutal but it has everything else you're looking for.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,094 times
Look at Westcliffe, Colorado. Heart-stoppingly gorgeous. Very remote but fits all of your criteria.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:28 PM

486 posts, read 1,497,272 times
agree with Westcliff, Woodland Park (both affordable) but both have more snow/cold in winter.

The best weather in all of Colorado is in Canon City area - beautiful scenery (nicely treed in town with cottonwoods, walnut trees, etc)

I know of several passive solar green homes in the area.

Canon City is also the most affordable near-mountain living you will find anywhere in Colorado - with the most sunshine

Light pollution is not an issue here - clear starry nights

Salida and Buena Vista are also great little towns away from it all, but are more expensive than Canon City.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:42 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,746 times
I second Canon City!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful and close to bigger cities if one wants!!!1

Old 05-18-2010, 06:16 PM

How does Canon City's weather compare with Denver's?

Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 PM

I just checked it out and summer is even hotter than Denver by about 5 degrees! Not sure I'd like that. But then I don't mind Denver's big-cityness either.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:48 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,746 times
Yeah but Canon City is close to the mountains and has a river running thru it to cool things off!! The views are awesome!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado