Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:41 PM

12,922 posts, read 18,765,744 times

Advertisements

Colleges and the government aren't the bad guys. I'm a state employee. Columbia was planned as the state capital. Duh. Its very design befits a capital city. That doesn't make it a bad or weak city, and no one should view it as a city that is propped up by taxpayers. Anarchy won't do. The capitol, where the goons from all over the state meet, takes up only four blocks. The rest of us associated with the government are hard-working public servants. We are also employees, just like BMW workers, and Columbia isn't the only place in the state that state employees live and work by far. In fact, if the state were to centralize more operations in Columbia, a lot of cities and towns across the state would take a big hit economically due to lost jobs. Except for the 50 state capitals and DC, there are a lot of successful cities that aren't capitals. So, what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 09:44 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Not sure it you're talking to me, but ok.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:11 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
This is not my fight, although I've enjoyed reading you guys going back and forth with each other. I must say though, that some cities don't need a large college presence or government to be successful. I think Greenville and the upstate have proven that.
Despite the inaccuracy of the statement (the Upstate has a large college presence in Clemson) and the fact that many of the most progressive and prosperous metros in the nation have one or the other or both, what exactly does that have to do with a discussion about Columbia and Greensboro? Do you have to turn everything into a discussion about Greenville when it's not even close to being the subject of discussion?

Old 07-23-2010, 10:45 PM

Greenville was already in the discussion. Look back before I posted. I'm just making a point. You don't have to get upset about everything, just because you don't like what someone says. It's just a message board. Calm down! I remember someone saying Clemson is too far away to make an impact on Greenville. It doesn't really matter when you have progressive leadership.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:58 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
This is not my fight, although I've enjoyed reading you guys going back and forth with each other. I must say though, that some cities don't need a large college presence or government to be successful. I think Greenville and the upstate have proven that.
Having a large college presence adds so much to a city and certainly makes for a much more educated population.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Having lived in both, columbia is much hotter in the summer. Greensboro has a prettier landscape. Columbia has more entertainment and is closer to the beach. Greensboro is in the middle of a cluster of cities, which makes the outlying areas much more urban, whereas columbia is surrounded by a lot of nothing.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Having a large college presence adds so much to a city and certainly makes for a much more educated population.
Doesn't seem to be hurting us up here.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:12 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Doesn't seem to be hurting us up here.
Awesome. Maybe you can start your own thread about greenville.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:16 PM

You guys take this message board stuff waaaay too seriously. I was just making a point and people got upset over a computer screen. Good grief. I'll just go back to reading you guys fight. It is entertaining.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:04 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Greenville was already in the discussion.
As a sidenote to the main subject, which is Columbia vs. Greensboro. Both of those cities have large college presences, so the "point" you made is absolutely irrelevant and adds nothing to the main subject of discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Greensboro is in the middle of a cluster of cities, which makes the outlying areas much more urban, whereas columbia is surrounded by a lot of nothing.
When you're referring to the "outlying areas," are you referring to the other cities in the region (Winston-Salem, High Point) or the Greensboro suburbs? If the latter, there's absolutely nothing urban about Greensboro's sprawl at all. In that regard, it wouldn't be different from Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area