Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:40 PM

9 posts, read 19,635 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to SC and are looking to narrow down some areas to research. I love hiking in the mountains, exploring waterfalls and cooler summer temperatures. My DH on the other hand enjoys relaxing on the beach and just hangin out in the sun. He will wake up at 5:00 am just to stroll on the beach and watch the sun rise.

About US: We are a couple in our mid 40’s. My husband is a blue collar worker and will retire in 2 years. Our children are out of school. We are thinking about checking out some area’s in SC in January and would like to know where to focus our attention.

What we are looking for:
Location: An affordable community somewhere in between the mountains and the ocean near Columbia. More information about surrounding areas would be great, Irmo, Lexington, Oak Grove, Springdale. I have tried to research these areas but it is difficult to find information about the downtown areas. So I’m not sure if they are just suburbs or actual cities. We would also like to find an area that has affordable homes (125,000-160,000) within walking distance to the downtown area.
*I love history so would love to live in a historical small town that has a strong since of community.
* Pedestrian friendly downtown shopping area that consists of antiques shops and other unique shops.
*Nearby parks with walking/bike trails would be ideal
*We would also like to have access to a community center or a town with a swimming pool, a bigger grocery store, public library and post office are must haves.
*Some Big Box retailers nearby would be nice but not absolutely necessary if they are less than 10 minutes away.
*Low Crime Please
*Public transportation available

Where we live now: We live in the small lake town of Smithville, MO with a population of about 8,500, but when we moved here 15 years ago it was a town of about 3,500. Most of the growth is population only and not amenities. We have 1 grocery store, 1 hardware store, 1 pharmacy (not Walgreens or CVS) a Dollar General, a McDonalds, and a Sonic. Our downtown consist of about 20 shops (more of an intersection that a square.) But our downtown has several festivals a year, and the community comes together every Friday in August for “Hot Summer Nights” with live music and stuff which makes up for lack of big city conveniences.

We are 20-30 minutes from downtown Kansas City Missouri, but we are only 10 minutes away from “Big Box” retailers like Kohl’s, Best Buy, Target, and Wal-Mart, and restaurants like Red Lobster, Olive Garden, and Apple Bee’s.

Why we want to move: We love the Midwest but the winters are cold here, with cold weather starting in October and ending in March sometimes mid-April. With the coldest months bring average temperatures in 20’s and 30’s for day time highs but can drop to 10-15 below 0 (not including wind chill) for days at a time. My husband is tired of shoveling snow and scraping ice, and I just don’t like having to hibernate 5 to 6 months out of the year. So milder winters would be nice.

Also as mentioned above we would like to be closer to the mountains and the ocean.

Thanks for any info you can provide on some of the smaller towns surrounding the Columbia area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 AM

12,973 posts, read 18,830,950 times
Of all the towns you mentioned specifically, only Lexington has a downtown, and it has been all but forgotten compared to Walmart, Target and strip shopping centers surrounding the town proper. Main Street is attractive, but the downtown in general is way underutilized. That might change, because downtowns are back on the radar screen in the area. Also, it does have the Old Mill, a popular restaurant and shopping spot down the street from the central business district, and several old houses in town have been converted into commercial space. The nearest towns of significant size with a distinct, attractive and significantly sized downtown are Newberry and Sumter. You might take a look at Chapin, too, but like the other towns you mentioned, compared to its suburban feel its downtown isn't very big. Some travel guides I've read describe Columbia as a city with somewhat of a small town feel, so you might want to look around in town as well. If cool summers are important to you where you spend most of your time, the only place you'll be cool for much of the summer in and around Columbia will be inside.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:57 AM

9 posts, read 19,635 times
Thank you for the information you provided on Lexington and Newberry. As for Sumter I think we are looking to stay on the west side of 26, I do like the things I have read about Columbia. I know we won't escape the heat in the south and our summers are hot here too, but at least there we can spend the day at the ocean or head to Asheville for a little bit of relief. Here it's back inside because it's too hot for anything else.

Quick question...Can you see the mountains on the horizon from Columbia or Newberry? If not how far north do you have to go to get a glimpse of the mountains?

Old 11-27-2011, 12:47 PM

672 posts, read 2,116,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin.girl View Post
Thank you for the information you provided on Lexington and Newberry. As for Sumter I think we are looking to stay on the west side of 26, I do like the things I have read about Columbia. I know we won't escape the heat in the south and our summers are hot here too, but at least there we can spend the day at the ocean or head to Asheville for a little bit of relief. Here it's back inside because it's too hot for anything else.

Quick question...Can you see the mountains on the horizon from Columbia or Newberry? If not how far north do you have to go to get a glimpse of the mountains?
When I read your first post, the first town that popped into my head was Clemson.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:

You first see mountains about an hour and half from Columbia, maybe a little sooner, like an hour and 20 minutes? The Columbia area itself isn't flat, and in places it's kind of roller coaster-ish. For equally convenient access to your mountains and your husband's beaches, and for things to do when you stay home, you can't beat Columbia for a city its size.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:09 PM

125 posts, read 287,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Of all the towns you mentioned specifically, only Lexington has a downtown, and it has been all but forgotten compared to Walmart, Target and strip shopping centers surrounding the town proper.
I disagree. Lexington has no downtown, it's less then a block in length and has no shopping whatsoever in downtown Lexington. It's one or two lawyer offices, a sports bar, and it's half of it is abandoned buildings. The mill is half empty and a movie theater is planned to completely overshadow it. Lexington is really a suburb of Columbia and traffic is downright awful on US 1.

Have you looked into Rock Hill??? That sounds like what you really want, it's much closer to the mountains and the same distance to the beach as Columbia area.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:39 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,590,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gps29070 View Post
I disagree. Lexington has no downtown, it's less then a block in length and has no shopping whatsoever in downtown Lexington. It's one or two lawyer offices, a sports bar, and it's half of it is abandoned buildings. The mill is half empty and a movie theater is planned to completely overshadow it. Lexington is really a suburb of Columbia and traffic is downright awful on US 1.

Have you looked into Rock Hill??? That sounds like what you really want, it's much closer to the mountains and the same distance to the beach as Columbia area.
Rock Hill is an hour further to the beach than is Columbia. I'd look into some of the in-town neighborhoods in Columbia like Cottontown, Earlewood Park and Melrose Heights. Homes in your price range are available in those areas and they're all close to all of the downtown districts - Main Street, the Vista and Five Points.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:03 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,884,403 times
Quote:
No. Your first good chance to see the mountains is over an hour northwest. Simpsonville is a suburb of Greenville with a downtown, small town charm and a solid demographic. Coming up I-385, from the Midlands, once you get to Simpsonville you have an excellent view of the mountains spreading out before you.
In the Columbia area, depending on the side of the city, you'll find either small hills or flat floodplains.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gps29070 View Post

I was trying to be complimentary.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
No. Your first good chance to see the mountains is over an hour northwest. Simpsonville is a suburb of Greenville with a downtown, small town charm and a solid demographic. Coming up I-385, from the Midlands, once you get to Simpsonville you have an excellent view of the mountains spreading out before you.
In the Columbia area, depending on the side of the city, you'll find either small hills or flat floodplains.
Columbia has a little bit of everything terrain-wise except for marshes, the ocean and mountains. The hills roll beautifully, almost like the foothills in some places; the plains are reminiscent of the Lowcountry, and there are plenty of wetlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area