Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2021, 01:15 AM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
I still call it Richland Fashion Mall and the other one is Columbia Mall. Old names stick, not sure what value a rebranding of those was promised. It didn't seem to help.
Exactly. Columbia Mall and Richland Fashion should of stayed their names regardless of renovations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 09:04 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I've been saying for years that Richland Fashion needs to be redeveloped into a Apartment with Retail on the bottom floor. it has the space to do so. with the Anchor belks there and possibly hundreds of people in one place retail will come. especially if its marketed well.

and they shouldnt just make high income housing. it should be mixed income. from the low to high so it wont be sterile. it will be diverse with all walks of life not just the boring high end.
Yeah.. I am surprised it hasnt happened yet.. unless the cost of retrofitting it to apartments is cost prohibitive..though I would imagine they could build on top of the existing parking deck and the roof of the mall. Seems like they could put a nice mix of housing in there "affordable/workforce" and market rate housing.. given its location and school zoning. I am surprised that Richland County didnt consider this site first before going out to Columbia (Mall) Place) as it is in a more viable location in the center of the County.. I guess Columbia (Mall) Place was likely cheaper and has more land that can be used for other uses not to mention being in a more challenged area.. which local governments tend to want to revitalize. I am also surprised USC didnt take a look at it...

Someone mentioned warehouses/storage.. which I could see becoming a viable interim use of some of the mall space. The parking garage could be leased out to Car Rental Agencies that want a downtown footprint or maybe used car auction..... The last time I walked through.. the roof is leaking and there are trash cans collecting water in the middle of the concourses... .SMH ...sad...

Old 08-23-2021, 06:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times
It’s kind of like calling Charleston Charles Town, but whatever works as long as the place in question is struggling to have any relevance anyway.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:52 AM

333 posts, read 214,504 times
Does anyone know what happened to the Food Halls that were being discussed a few years ago? I know one of them was supposed to be called "the Sanctuary" and it was scheduled to open in 2021. I see the church at Bullstreet Commons is still standing. I wonder if that is where they were planning on having it. Hopefully this hasn't been dropped.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:43 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah.. I am surprised it hasnt happened yet.. unless the cost of retrofitting it to apartments is cost prohibitive..though I would imagine they could build on top of the existing parking deck and the roof of the mall. Seems like they could put a nice mix of housing in there "affordable/workforce" and market rate housing.. given its location and school zoning. I am surprised that Richland County didnt consider this site first before going out to Columbia (Mall) Place) as it is in a more viable location in the center of the County.. I guess Columbia (Mall) Place was likely cheaper and has more land that can be used for other uses not to mention being in a more challenged area.. which local governments tend to want to revitalize. I am also surprised USC didnt take a look at it...

Someone mentioned warehouses/storage.. which I could see becoming a viable interim use of some of the mall space. The parking garage could be leased out to Car Rental Agencies that want a downtown footprint or maybe used car auction..... The last time I walked through.. the roof is leaking and there are trash cans collecting water in the middle of the concourses... .SMH ...sad...
How recent did you go to the Mall? because if its still open I want to go in there with my Panasonic Camcorder from 1997 to shoot a retro style video in it.

Old 08-28-2021, 12:29 PM

403 posts, read 232,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
Does anyone know what happened to the Food Halls that were being discussed a few years ago? I know one of them was supposed to be called "the Sanctuary" and it was scheduled to open in 2021. I see the church at Bullstreet Commons is still standing. I wonder if that is where they were planning on having it. Hopefully this hasn't been dropped.
I believe the other one was in the Tapps building by which became Southern Esthetics instead.

I think you are right on the Bull St church being the location of the Sanctuary Food Hall. It has a website so maybe things are still in motion. I’ve heard the Hughes people hint that something is planned for the Church and this would be a great use for it. A long with Iron Hill Brewery under way and the retail spots that will be available in the West Lawn building, hopefully things are finally gaining momentum at BS.

https://sanctuaryfoodhall.com

Old 08-30-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
I believe the other one was in the Tapps building by which became Southern Esthetics instead.

I think you are right on the Bull St church being the location of the Sanctuary Food Hall. It has a website so maybe things are still in motion. I’ve heard the Hughes people hint that something is planned for the Church and this would be a great use for it. A long with Iron Hill Brewery under way and the retail spots that will be available in the West Lawn building, hopefully things are finally gaining momentum at BS.

https://sanctuaryfoodhall.com
Yeah I ran across that website and that's what made me think that it's still ongoing.

Old 08-30-2021, 06:05 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
How recent did you go to the Mall? because if its still open I want to go in there with my Panasonic Camcorder from 1997 to shoot a retro style video in it.
Yeah I still need to pick up my Panasonic Projection TV...took it there to get repaired and the place closed. That and my betamax lol ....that was late 80s so still have you beat

Old 08-30-2021, 06:12 PM

403 posts, read 232,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
Yeah I ran across that website and that's what made me think that it's still ongoing.
Not sure if you’ve seen this but this pretty much confirms the plan was for Bull Streets church. The fact they haven’t taken it off their website tells me they at least still intend to go forward with it. I’ve noticed work on the general area where this would be located so perhaps ground work has already started.

https://creativeculinaryventures.com...ary-food-hall/

Old 08-31-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
Not sure if you’ve seen this but this pretty much confirms the plan was for Bull Streets church. The fact they haven’t taken it off their website tells me they at least still intend to go forward with it. I’ve noticed work on the general area where this would be located so perhaps ground work has already started.

https://creativeculinaryventures.com...ary-food-hall/
Wow, okay. Yes, I just looked at that church using Google maps and it looks exactly like it from the front. I guess they are planning on adding on that second structure to create more space. That whole area of Bull street will be very vibrant if this all comes to fruition. The Westlawn's retail/restaurant space combined with this food hall, Iron Hill Brewery, and the retail/restaurant space on the bottom floor of the planned apartments across the street from the church could make this district the top place in town to be during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area