Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2024, 09:28 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
The Jim Moore Cadillac apartments are up for review by the Planning Commission and Design Review Commission in January. Hopefully things get rolling there shortly as I think that’s a big project to get that corridor moving.
The entire stretch of North Main is the City's greatest opportunity and greatest liability. Unlike Huger, South Main, and some extent Harden.. Neighborhoods and people live off of North Main and are usually long term residents/tenants. In the past sections have had businesses that negatively impacted the adjacent neighborhoods and visa versa. It also likely encompasses like a third of the City's population if you take it all the way out to the northern city limits out by Greenview/I-20.

Its also has the most economically and racially diverse areas in the city. The Vista, Downtown, Five Points, Bull Street are all areas that make people want to visit Columbia.. but the type of communities that exist along North Main tend to be the types of places people want to LIVE in City especially given its affordability, housing stock, diversity of age, race, and incomes. Notable neighborhoods along the corridor. Elmwood Park, Earlewood, Cottontown, Keenan Terrace, Seminary Ridge, Hyatt Park, College Place, Windermere Springs, Cabb Island, then more older traditional suburbs like North 21 Terrace and Greenview. All have some appeal to various type of residents while representing a cross section of the entire city's housing stock and communities. There are a handful of major projects occurring up and down this corridor but let see what 2024 has in store.. Case in point. What is going on at Hyatt Park-the park? It looks like it has been under renovation for several years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2024, 01:39 PM

1,152 posts, read 954,699 times
Are the Panthers of Charlotte turning their backs on South Carolina?

I always wonder this too. I don't think it will be the Carolina Panthers for very long and it's time for SC to look into getting their own team either NFL, or USFL or XFL. I wonder if we can't get a NFL Team here in Columbia why not something smaller that still draws in a crowd. since the USFL and XFL merged recently into the UFL and they only have a handful of teams maybe it's our chance once again to get something for Columbia. Either they pay USC a pretty penny to play game our of William Brice if USC gets the stick out of their a$$ or we go the New Stadium route.

Football is in our city's blood and looking at how passionate the fans are from the XFL and USFL I think we can pull it off.

Old 01-01-2024, 02:09 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post

I always wonder this too. I don't think it will be the Carolina Panthers for very long and it's time for SC to look into getting their own team either NFL, or USFL or XFL. I wonder if we can't get a NFL Team here in Columbia why not something smaller that still draws in a crowd. since the USFL and XFL merged recently into the UFL and they only have a handful of teams maybe it's our chance once again to get something for Columbia. Either they pay USC a pretty penny to play game our of William Brice if USC gets the stick out of their a$$ or we go the New Stadium route.

Football is in our city's blood and looking at how passionate the fans are from the XFL and USFL I think we can pull it off.
Panthers and SC have a very checkered history..Starting with the fiasco here in Columbia during their first season and culminating with issue in Rock Hill with their now abandoned training facility. I dont think it helps that most people on SC are Cowboys and Commander fans. When Dallas played Carolina there were more Cowboys fans in the stand and they were not from Dallas.. good ole "Carolina Cowboys". Here in Columbia add Steeler and 49ers fans to the mix of popular teams. Incidentally, There is a whole 49ers club in columbia with matching cars and what not for reasons I do not know, but I digress. I think they have turned their backs on SC long ago and will continue to do so....I guess its hard for them since most people atleast back to Gen X had no other winning team to pull for other than Cowboys (America's Team) and Commanders based on our TV market. Falcons sux and so did the Panthers from most of their existence so even Gen Y cant grow to love them...LOL. There is always Gen Z if they can get their act together.

Old 01-01-2024, 11:39 PM

1,152 posts, read 954,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Panthers and SC have a very checkered history..Starting with the fiasco here in Columbia during their first season and culminating with issue in Rock Hill with their now abandoned training facility. I dont think it helps that most people on SC are Cowboys and Commander fans. When Dallas played Carolina there were more Cowboys fans in the stand and they were not from Dallas.. good ole "Carolina Cowboys". Here in Columbia add Steeler and 49ers fans to the mix of popular teams. Incidentally, There is a whole 49ers club in columbia with matching cars and what not for reasons I do not know, but I digress. I think they have turned their backs on SC long ago and will continue to do so....I guess its hard for them since most people atleast back to Gen X had no other winning team to pull for other than Cowboys (America's Team) and Commanders based on our TV market. Falcons sux and so did the Panthers from most of their existence so even Gen Y cant grow to love them...LOL. There is always Gen Z if they can get their act together.
There's not much Gen Z who watch sports like my generation did (32 Year Old Millennial) at least that I know of? I know a few but not much who religiously watch it like the older generations do.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:56 AM

333 posts, read 214,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post

When Segra Park was built they built it with intentions of exploring minor league football as well. That would eliminate the need for a stadium (we're never getting a pro/semi pro football stadium). I think that's one of the reasons they held a few high school football games there. With that being said I don't think we would get an XFL/UFL team because they tend to stay in the bigger metro areas such as Houston, Washington etc. Heck, even the Arena football league only has major cities to call home. The Indoor Football League is more of a league for mid size cities such as Tulsa and Frisco but also has bigger cities such as San Diego, Vegas, and Jacksonville. With that being said, minor league football doesn't seem like a viable option for us currently as far as national leagues go. Those leagues want to be in a town where they can sweep up the fans that can't afford to spend hundreds on NFL tickets. They also have to keep in mind what happens if they have a bad team which plummets ticket sales but in a major city there will still be some that will still go for the experience. I can't say Columbia has a fan base that would sell out to watch even with a losing product. We have the Gamecocks in town, Clemson about an hour away and the same with the Panthers. That is plenty for us. We have to keep in mind that SC is still a very rural state with a small population. I laugh when people say Columbia should get an NFL team. We're close to becoming the third most populous city in SC and we're so close to an NFL team already that would never happen. Even if the Panthers moved they wouldn't come here. To leave a city with a metro population 2.66 million (which is considered a small market and ranked 22nd) and come to a metro area of 829k (ranks 70th in country) would be the worst business decision in modern history. There are pick up leagues in Columbia (men that just want to play for fun with no pay) but no one really attends their games, but maybe there are smaller regional leagues that are on the horizon that Columbia could join.

Old 01-02-2024, 12:48 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
I have always called them the Charlotte Panthers.

Old 01-02-2024, 01:10 PM

333 posts, read 214,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I have always called them the Charlotte Panthers.
Atleast they are right on the other side of the border. Charlotte is literally in the center of both states if NC and SC were one state. If we went by team location then we'd have the Ashburn (VA) Commanders, the Frisco Cowboys, East Rutherford (NJ) Giants, Santa Clara 49ers. It's rather common for NFL teams to be headquartered in a different city, or in the Giants and Jets case, a different state. At least our team tried to encompass both states and plant a flag right in the middle to appease everyone.

Old 01-02-2024, 02:11 PM

542 posts, read 1,106,763 times
Charlotte would not have gotten a team without SC, at least not in the nineties. There was not even a 60,000 seat stadium in NC, until Kenan was enlarged in 98.That's because NC is a basketball state. We had two 80,000 seat stadiums. I'm not a fan of the Panthers, the owner is a @#$%, but it's nice to have the NFL close.

Old 01-02-2024, 02:14 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I think they have turned their backs on SC long ago and will continue to do so.
How so? Jerry Richardson was intentional about making the Panthers a truly regional team, and it seemed like David Tepper wanted to continue in that vein. But the fiasco in Rock Hill and more recently pulling the training camp from Spartanburg demonstrates that he isn't nearly as concerned with that. And these are recent developments.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:37 AM

752 posts, read 566,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How so? Jerry Richardson was intentional about making the Panthers a truly regional team, and it seemed like David Tepper wanted to continue in that vein. But the fiasco in Rock Hill and more recently pulling the training camp from Spartanburg demonstrates that he isn't nearly as concerned with that. And these are recent developments.
Spartanburg was really a Richardson-specific thing since he went to Wofford. I doubt there was ever any intention to keep it outside of Charlotte. Training camps are becoming more popular to watch/monitor and players themselves want to be in nicer locations- either home or somewhere warm. I don't blame Tepper for switching it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area