Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoyed3 View Post
You ever considered living in the neighborhood around Timrod Park in Florence. You could walk to a grocery store, walgreens, a few restaurants, maybe the library (not exacty sure where the new one is), etc.

Does USC have its own bus system? Clemson had a pretty substantial one, think they ever went over to Anderson and maybe Senca too.

You won't too many attractive women on the bus in Columbia. LOL don't carrot and stick us like that. LOL
The new library in Florence is downtown just a few blocks or less down from the central business district. It sounds like Florence offers some urban-living amenities, but I'm a bigger-city boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 11:48 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoyed3 View Post
I guess I don't see what is so appealing about having to walk/pedal everywhere you go. It would be cool to be able to walk to the Jason's Deli but why would I wan to haul groceries from that Publix back over to my apartment or house if I could just park right next to it. The car was invented for a reason and it seems silly to fight using a car. Plus it is fun to drive around and see different things. I will never understand why people love mass transportation so much, especially buses. I would hate life if I had to use that Metro thing in DC all the time. LOL
I absolutely LOVE the Metro in DC and try to ride it whenever I visit. If I could, I would much rather be able to take mass transit everywhere and have the option for something like Zip Car at certain times as well. A pedestrian-oriented lifestyle is not only healthier, but allows you to engage your surroundings on more of a human scale and fosters greater social connections as well. Plus, owning a car is a bit costly when you think about it: payments (if you don't own it outright), insurance, gas, taxes, repairs, parking (when applicable), etc. If it were possible right now for me to do without one, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I absolutely LOVE the Metro in DC and try to ride it whenever I visit. If I could, I would much rather be able to take mass transit everywhere and have the option for something like Zip Car at certain times as well. A pedestrian-oriented lifestyle is not only healthier, but allows you to engage your surroundings on more of a human scale and fosters greater social connections as well. Plus, owning a car is a bit costly when you think about it: payments (if you don't own it outright), insurance, gas, taxes, repairs, parking (when applicable), etc. If it were possible right now for me to do without one, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
I hate having to spend money on insurance, property taxes and maintenance, and I sorely regret the fact that sooner or later my savings will take hit for major repairs or a new car. The walk from the grocery store in the heat or rain or a bus ride to wherever would be good times to savor the fact that I no longer had that burden.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I lived without a car in DC for five years and sometimes wished I had a car. The same would be true for me in NYC. It goes without saying I'd be giving up some conveniences without a car in downtown Columbia or anywhere. My original question in effect was meant to ask for any factual comparisons with examples if anyone felt that any other SC city's or cities' downtown(s) offered more everyday conveniences (not more restaurants, bars and boutiques, but more grocery stores, pharmacies and convenience stores basically), because if anyone remembers from other threads, I do not do malls and it is only very rarely that I can be spotted in a suburb (with a bag over my head - just kidding), and no more often than I go to a suburb, a bus would do fine.

And speaking of the bus, I have been watching and I am seeing a gradual change in the demographic of people riding the bus. Yesterday's example was a very attractive 35-ish y/o woman waiting on the bus at Taylor and Pickens reading a book.
I drove around the downtown bus terminal at least 4 times today. I saw some sights, but not one was an attractive 35ish year old women. I think someone is pumping sunshine up where the sun does not shine.....LOL

Now. there was wild looking, hooker type looking gal in a hot red, short dress. When she got on the back of a liquorcycle as a passenger....it was a sight to behold as her....but another subject.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I drove around the downtown bus terminal at least 4 times today. I saw some sights, but not one was an attractive 35ish year old women. I think someone is pumping sunshine up where the sun does not shine.....LOL

Now. there was wild looking, hooker type looking gal in a hot red, short dress. When she got on the back of a liquorcycle as a passenger....it was a sight to behold as her....but another subject.
I saw what I saw and that was just one example. I didn't say the majority of riders appear to be on the up and up in their lot in life, but the woman I gave as an example was but one example I've seen recently. And I don't see anything about the typical crowd at the main transit station or at any other bus stop that makes me feel any less inclined to use the bus, but that's just the way I am. Someone else long ago was that way, too, from what I've heard. Call it pumping sunshine or anything else you wish to call it.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:06 AM

And now a dentist is locating downtown.

Colliers International brokers sale of the iconic Keenan Building in Downtown Columbia | MidlandsBiz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area