Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 03:50 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krull View Post
lol analogies are not your thing. did you struggle on the SAT Verbal?
You are equating crack to weed then? Still isn't valid.

You already aren't being objective by assuming that anyone who has smoked weed would automatically say good things and ignore any bad effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
the point is peole with an addiction to something are going to be close minded to certain stuff b/c they just want their high, fix, etc.
I would argue that some people get "high" off of telling others what to do.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:53 PM

17 posts, read 29,650 times
So, Francis? How about those points I addressed?

Anyone else have any reasons against legalization?

Old 01-08-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
ok what do u consider the bad effects of weed.
Being tired and possibly antisocial (depending on the blend). Putting money towards weed that you could use to other things (though it's often a cheaper form of entertainment than going out and drinking, safer too). There's honestly not much. I can only speak for myself and the hundreds of people I have come across that have smoked (either now or in the past). I feel you will be hard pressed to find anyone who has (even if they have quit) that say that it is dangerous to legalize.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
i read an interesting article by a pothead who sayd legalization might actualy be the worse thing that ca happen for pot smokers b/c it will get more mainstream attention and people will start linking it to beer and cig smoking. Cig smokers are basically enemy no. 1 in society now even though it is still legal. lol

I thought my observation that we are demonizing cig smoking, banning smoking in private businesses nobody forces anybody to go to, etc, while at the same time becoming these hardcore liberterians on weed and other drugs, was a brilliant observation. We are a schizo society sometimes.

Do you support legalizing cocaine and herorin and LSD and other hard drugs using the same arguments you use for weed? If not, why not?
Link to article?

Old 01-08-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
i think it would lead to more DUIs b/c more people would end up smoking weed, especially if people think that weed is actually a healthy drug as many people claim these days. some people don't want to break the law now, believe it or not.

but weed use has been associated with lack of motivation which impacts school performance and work performance, as well as lung issues that affect quality of life and possible impacts on mental quickness and memory.
I can't say anything for the first bit because it's your opinion of what could happen (which is a discussion that would be similar to hopping on a merry-go-round). I wouldn't say that it causes a lack of motivation though, again, it probably depends on the blend. As for myself, it made me more motivated and went from a C student to graduating with honors in college. I got my MBA in one year and had both degrees all completed before I was 23. Most people I know who smoke/or have smoked are some of the most respected and productive people at their companies. I know this might be skewed because all of my friends went to some type of college or vocational school but most are not deadbeats. A few own their own businesses now, run departments, practice medicine, etc.

It also doesn't have to be smoked, it can be vaporized or eaten which bypasses lung issues.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
ok well most smoke it, no point in defecting on that point

the potheads i knew in college def. had some mental dullness, thhis one dude in my mechanical engineering program would hae been 4.0 GPA if he didn't smoke, he ended up beinng 2.0 or so. Dude was brilliant so obviously pot took his toil and he admitted that. There was no way I should have had a higher GPA than him.
Sounds like it is a case by case basis and affects everyone differently. So keeping it illegal will be beneficial to you how? Seems like you would want it legal so all the "potheads" could smoke and become dumber, which would in turn make you look better, which happened with your friend and his GPA.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Most engineering firms and other firms have random fitness for duty drug screennings so good luck staying employed if you smoke. good companeis don't want potheads on staff and you sign documentation stating you don't abuse illegal drugs to work there
You would be surprised how much the good companies honestly don't care if you get your work done and you're one of the best employees they have. Also, "abuse" of illegal drugs would be a relative term so I hope they would spell it out differently than that.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
potheads i've interacted with are uber paranoid about stuff, every thing freaks them out. it's pretty funny

why is the most populare move about potheads called Dazed And Confuzed if that isn't what happens? LOL

That article was writtine by a pot fanboy so he sees the writing on the wall.
Oh I hate that movie and my roommate always wanted to watch it.

The article doesn't really make sense...

Reason 5) You can bull crap your way into getting a medical MJ card so there's no point.

Reason 4) You don't want to be called a pothead (but if people call you potheads now, even in this thread)

Reason 3) You won't be able to smoke outside which most people who smoke don't care about (though he also says there are laws being proposed against smoking in your home which is ludicrous).

Reason 2) He doesn't want to see weed commercials full of stereotypes (though all commercials are full of stereotypes).

Reason 1) He doesn't want big business (Wal-mart and Target to start selling).

Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Ok well i think it might be good if it is legalized cuz then the comparisons to cig smoking will occur. Right now it isn't associate with cancer in people's minds which is kind of weird

The health truths about cig smoking is what undermined its appeal despite being legal

my main concern is we have kind of a rising dependency on government class in this country and i think government blesssing drug use will only add to that.

do you support legalizing cocaine, herorin, lsd, other drugs ?
I agree about the smoking thing but people should be allowed to smoke if they aren't in a public place.

I wouldn't support legalizing them only because I know their effects and they are much more extreme and often cause anger which is the opposite of weed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area