Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2019, 11:36 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,568,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
LMAO, if only this guy coulda seen the future.
LOL, exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 11:16 AM

157 posts, read 249,086 times
I really hope REI is the spark for new retail to enter the Columbia market. I just hope it doesn't take away from the growth of other areas like Forest Acres, Killian, Harbison, Sandhill, or even Main Street.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:18 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucjanrc View Post
I really hope REI is the spark for new retail to enter the Columbia market. I just hope it doesn't take away from the growth of other areas like Forest Acres, Killian, Harbison, Sandhill, or even Main Street.
You won't have to worry about it detracting from the growth of those suburban retail nodes. Main Street, though, is a legitimate concern but there's a variety of establishments setting up shop there so I think it will be fine.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:56 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,910 times
In light of Augusta getting a Topgolf I was thinking, wouldn’t BullStreet across from the stadium and beside the new REI, be a perfect spot for one. Let it take up that whole block. It would look great there too, angle it so you can see the skyline when you’re golfing.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:07 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
In light of Augusta getting a Topgolf I was thinking, wouldn’t BullStreet across from the stadium and beside the new REI, be a perfect spot for one. Let it take up that whole block. It would look great there too, angle it so you can see the skyline when you’re golfing.
Of the places I've seen Topgolfs, they are mostly right off/near interstates in commercial areas and away from residential places, due to the bright lights at night, which can annoy people living nearby. Yes the new one in Augusta, will have some apartments nearby, but it will also be right off I-20 once you enter Georgia.

If I were to build a Topgolf in the Columbia metroplex, I would put it in the Killian's Crossing development, plenty of room.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:13 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Of the places I've seen Topgolfs, they are mostly right off/near interstates in commercial areas and away from residential places, due to the bright lights at night, which can annoy people living nearby. Yes the new one in Augusta, will have some apartments nearby, but it will also be right off I-20 once you enter Georgia.

If I were to build a Topgolf in the Columbia metroplex, I would put it in the Killian's Crossing development, plenty of room.

Harden Street Side near where it intersects with Colonial Drive could work if the lights are facing the Harden and the City of Columbia public work facilities and the State Offices across the street.. There is the James E Clyburn First Tee Driving Range over there though that is run by the City of Columbia.. so they may not let it happen given the City's involvement in Bull Street...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Columbia,+SC/@34.0250541,-81.0273874,566m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88f8a5697931d1e3:0xf3280 8f4b379fa96!8m2!3d34.0007104!4d-81.0348144

Old 06-20-2019, 02:26 PM

518 posts, read 436,741 times
Quote:
When I visited the Charlotte one, it was packed and super expensive. I don't know that we have the customer base to support the expensive driving range and high priced food. I would visit, but I wouldn't be a regular.

As said above, Killian may have a fighting chance, but just don't see enough money in Columbia to keep it going.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:54 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
When I visited the Charlotte one, it was packed and super expensive. I don't know that we have the customer base to support the expensive driving range and high priced food. I would visit, but I wouldn't be a regular.

As said above, Killian may have a fighting chance, but just don't see enough money in Columbia to keep it going.
Yet Augusta is getting one...and they couldn't keep their Whole Foods.

In light of that, I don't think it's a stretch for Columbia to sustain one.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:20 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post

When I think Topgolf, the last thing I think of is a driving range, sure there's probably people that use it as that, but I see it more of a place for millennials/hipsters/middle-aged people go with friends to unwind, drink, eat and play the Topgolf game, where many probably don't even play golf on a real course, ever.

I'm sure there's also people who might use Topgolf as a business meeting place instead of the old-fashioned
golf course!

The creators of Topgolf know their product and what demographics they are going after to keep the locations doing well. There's an upcoming rival called Drive Shack, which started in Orlando and now has their next location opening in Raleigh in late August or early September.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:07 PM

306 posts, read 393,645 times
I’ve heard that Topgolf is actively working to open a Columbia location. Apparently there was some type of noncompete with the Swing Suite on Main. They are apparently doing great business and their prices are more expensive than traditional locations.

That said, I could see a Topgolf at the back of Bull St or off I-26 near Irmo/Harbison.

I got to the one in Birmingham every few months when visiting and it’s near the city center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area