Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 04:35 PM

17 posts, read 50,605 times

Advertisements

Hi all -- sadly, Uncle Sam has decided that my time in Germany has got to come to a close at some point, and this summer it is. He also decided that the Columbia area, well Sumter/Shaw actually is where I need to go next. I've spent as many hours as I can from the middle East running through all your posts, but just have a few specifics that I and more importantly my wife would like to find.
A little background on us: We are un upper-mid-20's couple with two children (will be 7 and 4), daily commute will have to be to Shaw/Sumter, we lived on Shaw from '00-early '03, but were obviously younger and it was our first time on our own as newlyweds, so its almost like we've only vacationed there.
We are just looking for reccommendations on clean/safe neighborhoods, new(er) homes (0-20 years) in the <$175K range. Schools, shopping, security are our top priorities for the family, shopping comes next for my wife and then I guess everything else. Is a 30 minute or less communte possible? I'm trying google maps and some place just South and just north of Ft Jackson look like it, but I have no idea on the neighborhoods (Mountain Brook, Hazlewood, Brandon Acres, Brandon Hills, maybe even towards Elgin or Eastmont).
It would be nice to live in a neighborhood where we could find trustworthy families w/ baby-sitter aged/reliable children so that my wife and I can get out once in awhile and remind ourselves that we are still young! I remember 5-points and the Vista from years back, but I think I was still underage at the time, so it wasn't much fun!
Also, any ideas for weekend activities w/ the kiddo's (Riverbanks zoo looks fun!) and if by chance anything is near mountainbike trails or rock-climbing, thats a huge plus!
Anyway, any opinions/advice would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 04:52 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
You can definitely commute from the east side of Columbia to Shaw in less than a half hour since you will be driving opposite most of the traffic each way. There are a number of new subdivisions being built on that side of town. The Sumter Highway area is one of the least expensive parts of town so a <$175K home range should be pretty easy to find. I'm sorry I can't tell you the names of any of the new subdivisions out there, but I know some are off Trotter Road and there is a new one off Sumter Highway just past Hazelwood.

For biking there is Saluda Shoals Park, Riverfront Park, the Three Rivers Greenway, Sesquicentennial State Park and Harbison State Forest and yes, you and your kids will like Riverbanks Zoo. Five Points and the Vista are still the main entertainment areas. Five Points has been redone and many new places have opened in the Vista since you lived here before. Good luck on the move.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:51 PM

24 posts, read 104,022 times
Default Northeast Columbia is a Must...

Sad to hear that you must return to the states, but Uncle Sam says it must be done. And as one of Uncle Sam's children, I know only too well how that goes.

I would definitely recommend that you look at NE Columbia. I work at Fort Jackson, but drive to Shaw frequently just for a change of scenery (commissary, BX). The commute would be right at 30 minutes, but there will be so much more for you to do on the weekends.

As for biking, located right in the NE Columbia area is Sesqui State Park (Sesquicentennial State Park, a South Carolina State Park near Camden, Cayce, Columbia, Hopkins, Irmo) -- a 1,419-acre park, situated in the middle of the sandhills region, featuring a beautiful 30-acre lake surrounded by miles and miles of hiking, biking and jogging trails. They have recently added a 5-mile single track section for the more serious riders.

Another benefit is the newly constructed (about 2-3 years old) Village at Sandhills (http://www.villageatsandhillonline.com) mixed-use shopping center. Depending on where you live in the Northeast, you could easily walk or bike to this impressive shopping complex that has recently been announced as a finalist for the prestigious International Council of Shopping Center's national award recognizing the best mixed-use shopping center in the world (one of 7 finalists, only 4 are in the US).

Some of the communities in the NE area that have houses in your price range include: The Summit, lake Carolina, Plantation Pointe, Jacob's Creek... that just names a few.

Good luck on your move!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:26 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Myers Creek and Willow Tree in SE Columbia are very popular military communities. Myers Creek has quite a few people that work at Shaw or Mcentire as well as Ft. Jackson.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:51 AM

16 posts, read 86,351 times
Default Here is what I suggest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by air2mud82 View Post
Hi all -- sadly, Uncle Sam has decided that my time in Germany has got to come to a close at some point, and this summer it is. He also decided that the Columbia area, well Sumter/Shaw actually is where I need to go next. I've spent as many hours as I can from the middle East running through all your posts, but just have a few specifics that I and more importantly my wife would like to find.
A little background on us: We are un upper-mid-20's couple with two children (will be 7 and 4), daily commute will have to be to Shaw/Sumter, we lived on Shaw from '00-early '03, but were obviously younger and it was our first time on our own as newlyweds, so its almost like we've only vacationed there.
We are just looking for reccommendations on clean/safe neighborhoods, new(er) homes (0-20 years) in the <$175K range. Schools, shopping, security are our top priorities for the family, shopping comes next for my wife and then I guess everything else. Is a 30 minute or less communte possible? I'm trying google maps and some place just South and just north of Ft Jackson look like it, but I have no idea on the neighborhoods (Mountain Brook, Hazlewood, Brandon Acres, Brandon Hills, maybe even towards Elgin or Eastmont).
It would be nice to live in a neighborhood where we could find trustworthy families w/ baby-sitter aged/reliable children so that my wife and I can get out once in awhile and remind ourselves that we are still young! I remember 5-points and the Vista from years back, but I think I was still underage at the time, so it wasn't much fun!
Also, any ideas for weekend activities w/ the kiddo's (Riverbanks zoo looks fun!) and if by chance anything is near mountainbike trails or rock-climbing, thats a huge plus!
Anyway, any opinions/advice would be great!
I have a son who is at Shaw and he lives near where I am suggesting. Actually, we live where I am suggesting. Check out Lake Carolina in the NE section of Columbia. It will take you about 20 plus minutes to get to Shaw. And it will be well worth it. Lake Carolina is beautiful, and was voted #1 neighborhood in Columbia for quite a few years including last year. Lk. Carolina is a community of neighborhoods in all different price ranges. Lots of military folks here. There is an elementary school here - Lake Carolina and a middle school too, Kelly Mill Middle. EXCELLENT schools. I have a son in the 4th grade there. Lots of the moms and dads walk their kids to school or the children walk, bicycle or scooter to school on the big wide sidewalks. Lake Carolina is 3 miles wide and there are school busses of course too. The elementary school is a National Blue Ribbon school and is up for the Palmeto's Finest award. It is only about 5 or 6 years old and it is fantastic. Your kids would get to go to school in their neighborhood! Only caution - if you move into the Centenniel neighborhood, make sure that they would not be in the section that is sent to Bookman Road. (However, Bookman Road is an excellent school as well - just not in the neighborhood and is much older.) There is a Town Center here and there is a Farmers' Market once a week. They have events for the whole family throughout the year. And there are several restaurants and businesses too. You say you have little girls? They have a dance and drama studio that is great in Town Center - Divine Playhouse. The woman who owns and runs it is a former Miss SC. She is wonderful. There is a brand NEW YMCA right down from the schools! I am telling you - check this out! You will NOT regret it. Lots of families with young children. Landscaping is beautiful. Street lights - safe - just a win win here. I have not spoken to anyone who lives here who is not pleased.

Germany! Have you been to Edelweiss Lodge and Resort in Garmisch? The military resort? My husband, 10 year old son, 23 year old son and his girlfriend went for 2 weeks this summer. I did not want to leave! We had a great time. And poor you - you have to leave Germany and come to SC! Well, I am telling you - check out Lake Carolina and it will ease things quite a bit. There is a new place nearby called 'Village at Sandhills'. It is a shopping complex - they are calling it a lifestyle village because they built condos there. Restaurants, shopping from grocery to great stores like Sharper Image, Gymboree, Children's Place, Belk Dept. store, JC Penny, Hand Picked Jewelry, Old Navy, TJ Maxx etc. It is beautiful and a great place for the family.
Let me just add - get your kids in Richland 2 School District Schools. They are ranked very, very highly on a national level.
Oh, if you move to Lake Carolina, on channel 2 is where you find out about all that is happening here. And babysitters are sometimes listed - you won't have a problem here! It is such a safe place with security that drives the streets. I am telling you - Lake Carolina is it! My son - who will be 11 tomorrow has an assortment of boys his age to play with just on our street. There are tons of kids here and it is so family oriented. You can bike in Lake Carolina - biking trails!

My son lives near Village at Sandhills and goes to Shaw every day. Soon to Iraq however I am sad to say. But hey, that is just the mom in me talking!

Whew! We are moving this summer to Wichita, Ks - so I sympathize with all you are facing! God Bless and hope you have a great time here!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:33 AM

435 posts, read 1,529,802 times
Default Clarification on Lake Carolina/Richland 2 school zoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneewhitehe View Post
Only caution - if you move into the Centenniel neighborhood, make sure that they would not be in the section that is sent to Bookman Road. (However, Bookman Road is an excellent school as well - just not in the neighborhood and is much older.)
Renee - thanks for posting such wonderful posts about NE Richland, Richland 2, Lake Carolina, Village at Sandhill, etc.

Just wondering thought - where did you hear that Centennial in Lake Carolina is zoned for Bookman Road Elementary? If you go to the Richland 2 website and look up their latest zoning maps, all of Lake Carolina is zoned for Lake Carolina Elementary. There is the new Bridge Creek Elementary being built down the street at Kelly Mill and Bombing Range Roads, but that will take in portions of The Summit and some adjoining neighborhoods. Bookman Road (I agree, it's also a good school) mostly takes in neighborhoods along Rhame Rd., like Briarcliffe and Woodlake.

Sorry to correct you, but I've gone through a few conversations with neighbors and friends, and it seems sometimes folks hear rumors about zoning decisions (not saying you did, necessarily) when the answers are very clear from the district's own website.

Anyways, please do keep up your good posts!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 PM

5 posts, read 22,040 times
Default Bookman Road School and Woodlake!

I've seen a few posts regarding Bookman Road school. We are considering putting a contract on a house in Woodlake, but being from out of town, I would love the down-low on this neighborhood, as well as any information on the school. We checked out Lake Carolina, but I worry about resale value with all of the continuing new construction (we will only be in Columbia for 3 yrs).

Old 02-29-2008, 08:22 AM

435 posts, read 1,529,802 times
Default Woodlake & Bookman Road -> a good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcho View Post
I've seen a few posts regarding Bookman Road school. We are considering putting a contract on a house in Woodlake, but being from out of town, I would love the down-low on this neighborhood, as well as any information on the school. We checked out Lake Carolina, but I worry about resale value with all of the continuing new construction (we will only be in Columbia for 3 yrs).
One of my former co-workers lives in Woodlake and his daughter (now in high school) attended Bookman Road - they were/are happy with the neighborhood and schools. I've been through the neighborhood and it is a very nice area. It is almost a mini-Lake Carolina, but without the neo-traditional homes (i.e., they are more typical semi-upscale suburban homes you will find around Northeast Richland).

I will say that resale value should not be a huge concern in Lake Carolina - Columbia generally a steady market and it is hard to lose your shirt if you are in a good neighborhood and maintain your property. If anything, you may want to check out more built-out neighborhoods in Lake Carolina (typically on the southern and western sides of the community) that are less likely to have competition from new homes. Plus new-home building has slowed down dramatically across Northeast Richland (e.g., fewer spec homes, a hold on new permits until water infrastructure catches up, etc.), which should stabilize prices over the next few years. So new homebuilding has slowed and prices are rising more slowly, but there is not a massive glut specific to Lake Carolina. I don't think prices and price appreciation are going to that different between Lake Carolina and Woodlake, since they are still in the same general outer-Northeast Richland market with similar demographic profiles. Plus Lake Carolina also has amenities that other neighborhoods can't match - a large walking trail, tremendous landscaping, the new YMCA, and two schools within the community (Lake Carolina Elementary is about a good a public school as you can find the Midlands, even by Northeast Richland/Richland 2 standards). I'm not a realtor, so take my advice with a grain of salt - perhaps others, more expert in the field, can relay better advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area