Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:45 PM

15 posts, read 33,240 times

Advertisements

Hi! I really need some guidance here. I am moving with my husband and 2 boys (8 and 13) from NE PA. We want to be closer to the warm weather with more possibilities to be outside. We want good schools, lots of options for entertainment, parks, active neighborhoods and friendly people. Hubby wants a new house and I want an old one again! DH works from home FT so we don't need to consider a commute but we want the amenities of a larger city within an hour or so. We want to buy in cash for $275K or less and we need at least 4 bedrooms and 3/4 of an acre with some tree buffering from our neighbors. I'm friendly but not an exhibitionist!
Maybe it would help to say I ruled out Charlotte due to traffic and tiny lots and areas of Texas due to incredible racism (we are white and were told that the "best realtors" would show us houses where the n*ggers and Mexican cockroaches don't go!!!!) I want peaceful, happy folks and a community I can be involved in.
Where do you go to find it? Thanks a bunch. I'm really looking at either areas around Nashville or Knoxville but preferably Columbia.
Much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 04:51 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
I can tell you that you won't have any problem finding homes in your price range with the amenities you want. You will also be glad to know that there are a lot of NE PA natives that still live here from when Mack Trucks moved their plant from Allentown to Winnsboro (near Columbia). I think you can find what you're looking for in Northeast Richland County and/or the Blythewood area along with good schools. That area is an easy drive to downtown Columbia and also the shopping in the area around the Village at Sandhill. Good luck on the potential move.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:43 PM

316 posts, read 976,034 times
I grew up in Winnsboro and I used to work at Mack Trucks. Mack has closed now and many of the people who had seniority to do so moved back North for their retirement. Some of them retired or decided to stay here. You should have no problem finding what you are looking for in that price range. Winnsboro is about 45 minutes from down town Columbia and closer to Northeast Columbia. Blythewood is very nice area that is only 10-15 minutes to Northeast Columbia and lots of shopping and dinning.

You would also be able to find what you want in parts of lexington, it just depends on where you want to live after you have a chance to see the different areas here.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Honestly, in your situation you can buy in whatever part of town you want. Gilbert, Lexington, Chapin, Irmo, Blythewood are possibilities. Your best best is to come down and take a tour of Columbia and decide what part feels like home. Then go from there. Find a local Realtor and have them show you around a little.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:07 AM

5 posts, read 11,197 times
Honey no matter where you move you will find idiots that down of people that aren't the same color as they are. You either leave and complain to a manager if you feel the need to. But I justpersonally stay away from people like that. I live in Columbia and yes there are good parts and bad parts. We have good shopping here and in Spring Hill and around 30 minutes from Cool Springs ( Lg. Mall, 3 miles from Sams, and have nice resteraunts). It is on the outskirts of Nashville so You get into traffic but not like going all the way in Nashville. Instead of moving into town I would look into our country area. It is really beautiful land nice homes or have one built according to your mone status. Private schools are best but check what area you want to move in and go visit the school and see if you can talk to some parents in that area that have children go there for a while and get information Then look it on line also. We have alot of great churches in this area. It just depends mainly what is important to you and your family. You just look around and pray and God will help you find the right place. And you will just know it when you are there. Good luck and God Bless You.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:30 AM

55 posts, read 134,866 times
Default Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagelau View Post
I ruled out ...and areas of Texas due to incredible racism (we are white and were told that the "best realtors" would show us houses where the n*ggers and Mexican cockroaches don't go!!!!) I want peaceful, happy folks and a community I can be involved in.
LOL, I know EXACTLY what you mean about Texas! I've been here TOO long (second go-round, and after I left the first time I swore I'd never come back, but husband's job changed that).

I have found that, even in "liberal" Austin, there are people who will label you "egregious" if you do not think exactly the way they do or you dare to disagree with them!

Political climate here is NOT for anyone who isn't a "Christian" (by their hateful, biased, racist opinions) conservative republican.

If I ever become famous, I will be sure to tell everyone I was NEVER a Texan, even though I had to live here (they also lay than claim on ANYONE who has even 2 minutes of fame...."so and so was a Texan").

I thought it was interesting that, on some poll of cities (Forbes?), the Dallas area (where I'm at) was considered one of the least liked cities because of the PEOPLE!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 AM

163 posts, read 664,615 times
I agree with Shorty53 that you will find both open, friendly people and complete jerks no matter where you live. For a price point of $275K or less you can find a great house on a large lot in the Columbia area. I agree with jlboney and brandon that it would just take some driving around to see what neighborhoods are the best fit for you. There are plenty of transfers from PA and other parts of the country, and there is racial diversity in SC. I can't speak for east TN, but I think SC is a good place to settle down and raise a family.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:16 AM

150 posts, read 441,586 times
I am from Columbia, but now live in Nashville. I lived in Columbia all my life, until about 4 years ago. I feel a little nostalgic when I come back as there are a few things I miss, but I LOVE Nashville! I wouldn't move back unless I had to. If possible, I would encourage you to visit here. Also, check out the Nashville city data forum. Lots of really helpful people there. I have asked them many questions. I think you would be able to find what you are looking for within an hour's drive or less of Nashville especially since the morning commute is not an issue. Nashville is very laid back and diverse. Lots to do here compared to Columbia. I find it just an easy place to live. Lots of lakes, parks, historic places, friendly people and NO STATE TAX and no property tax on vehicles (unlike Columiba)! Also, I alway found the summers in Columbia to be miserable. My main complaint about Columbia. The combination of heat/humidity to me was oppressive. The summers here weren't nearly as bad.

If you do decide on Columbia, Blythewood is a nice area. Moved out from the cit and lived there for 17 years. Lots of good schools. If you have any other questions about Nashville etc. feel free to DM me. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2009, 04:59 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eescapes View Post
I am from Columbia, but now live in Nashville. I lived in Columbia all my life, until about 4 years ago. I feel a little nostalgic when I come back as there are a few things I miss, but I LOVE Nashville! I wouldn't move back unless I had to. If possible, I would encourage you to visit here. Also, check out the Nashville city data forum. Lots of really helpful people there. I have asked them many questions. I think you would be able to find what you are looking for within an hour's drive or less of Nashville especially since the morning commute is not an issue. Nashville is very laid back and diverse. Lots to do here compared to Columbia. I find it just an easy place to live. Lots of lakes, parks, historic places, friendly people and NO STATE TAX and no property tax on vehicles (unlike Columiba)! Also, I alway found the summers in Columbia to be miserable. My main complaint about Columbia. The combination of heat/humidity to me was oppressive. The summers here weren't nearly as bad.

If you do decide on Columbia, Blythewood is a nice area. Moved out from the cit and lived there for 17 years. Lots of good schools. If you have any other questions about Nashville etc. feel free to DM me. Good luck!
I thought they were asking about East Tennessee?

Old 04-07-2009, 07:14 PM

150 posts, read 441,586 times
"Where do you go to find it? Thanks a bunch. I'm really looking at either areas around Nashville or Knoxville but preferably Columbia.
Much appreciated!!

I thought so too, but at the end she said Nashville, Knoxville or Columbia!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area