Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 05:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,890 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone has thoughts/impressions on the Irmo area outside of Columbia. My wife and I are considering a move there and would love to hear anything and/or everything about the area. We are in our thirties, no kids, have lived all over the States and worldwide and so are fairly flexible when it comes to adapting to new environments and cultures. Any information, from general to specific, is appreciated.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 06:23 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,275 times
Been through Irmo a few times,I'm near lexington it seems like a nice place and haven't heard anything bad about the area.Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:49 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,868 times
Irmo has changed a lot in the 10 years I have been here. It's lost the small town feel, and become a suburb of Columbia. It's still a nice place to live though. It's very clean, the people are friendly, it feels very safe, and there is every type of shopping here. Harbison Blvd has just about all the stores you could want. The lake is just down the road. The housing is very affordable relative to the rest of the country. The schools in Irmo are excellent. They are just finishing up 4-laning Lake Murray Blvd which runs from I-26, all the way over the dam, into Lexington. This took away a lot of the small town feel, but has definitely decreased the traffic congestion.

You can find any type of home your are looking for, from a patio/garden home, to an older brick home, to a McMansion on the lake. I-26 is very close. This will take you straight to downtown Columbia, which is about 12 miles from Irmo.

Prop taxes are very affordable, gasoline is cheaper than most places (and cigarettes, ugh).

Location: Not too far from Charleston and beaches. Not too far from the foothills of the mountains.

The down side - very hot summers. Beautiful spring and fall. Can be a bit chilly in the winter, but no snow to worry about.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:54 AM

245 posts, read 1,019,943 times
There are some great parks nearby:

Saluda Shoals, Harbison State Forest, and Dreher Island State Park. Lots of outdoor activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area