Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:46 AM

47 posts, read 237,452 times

Advertisements

So a friend was showing me an article of the worst drivers in the United States, and the place im looking to move to is rated as the worse lol. Abq, NM where I live now is like #90 and Columbia, Sc is #100, is it *REALLY* that bad over there? I'd hate to go from bad to worse lol

The Capitals of Crash - Page1 - MSN Lifestyle: Men (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 10:11 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,486,466 times
Maybe my perspective is a little warped, since I moved from Columbia (dead last) to Greensboro (2nd to last). Both cities were far, far better than Wilmington, which must've been too small of a city to make the list.

But Columbia's drivers never seemed that bad to me. Lots of red-light running, but people don't drive all that fast. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of those accidents happen at Columbia's poorly-designed interstate junctions, like the I-26/I-20 junction.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Maybe my perspective is a little warped, since I moved from Columbia (dead last) to Greensboro (2nd to last). Both cities were far, far better than Wilmington, which must've been too small of a city to make the list.

But Columbia's drivers never seemed that bad to me. Lots of red-light running, but people don't drive all that fast. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of those accidents happen at Columbia's poorly-designed interstate junctions, like the I-26/I-20 junction.
Heh, I might be making a visit to see a friend in Wilmington if i go out to Sc. Its like 200 miles away right?

Old 06-08-2007, 10:37 AM

153 posts, read 716,484 times
No, its not bad. Like the others have said, its more due to the poor design of the interstate junctions than anything. They are really old. I read in The State that they are talking about redesigning Malfunction Junction- the I-26/I-20/I-126 intersection). I wouldn't take much stock in that report.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:48 AM

The State is the local newspaper right? Well the traffic here is utterly horrible. We have 2 major highways I-25 and I-40, and as our town grows exponentially we do nothing to devise new highway systems or anything. I just don't know what the traffic is like in Columbia, but im sick of the bs drivers here.

And what is wrong with the Junction? Just crappy roads? bad design for on-ramp/off-ramp use?

Old 06-08-2007, 11:25 AM

153 posts, read 716,484 times
Yep, The State is the local paper. Traffic in Columbia is annoying if you are in the inbound-outbound flow. Malfunciton Junction is where traffic typically bottlenecks the worst in the afternoon because you have everyone trying to get to Irmo and the NW suburbs on I-26 from the city via 126, Lexington County via 20 east bound and from the Northeast via 20 west. The AM isn't as bad inbound, but you will get some backups at that intersection and the other exits on occasion. Its the juction that is a malfunction, more so than the drivers on it. It has short ramps that are multifuncitonal (on-ramps for one and off-ramps for others in the same lane) and lots of lanes and cars switching back and forth around each other to get in the correct lanes. That makes it sound a little more chaotic than it really is, so don't let that deter you- I'm just trying to explain what's wrong there If you do it every day, you'll figure out which lanes you need to be in to get through. Traffic in Columbia compared to other cities in SC is pretty average and to the South is not that bad at all. You have to deal with rush hour traffic an any sizeable city, and Columbia is no different.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:43 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,592,997 times
The drivers here are really not that bad, though I wish people would drive faster (maybe I'm one of the bad drivers they're referring to). Due to having 3 interstates, several more freeways and wide avenues downtown, I don't think traffic is that bad.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_1690 View Post
Yep, The State is the local paper. Traffic in Columbia is annoying if you are in the inbound-outbound flow. Malfunciton Junction is where traffic typically bottlenecks the worst in the afternoon because you have everyone trying to get to Irmo and the NW suburbs on I-26 from the city via 126, Lexington County via 20 east bound and from the Northeast via 20 west. The AM isn't as bad inbound, but you will get some backups at that intersection and the other exits on occasion. Its the juction that is a malfunction, more so than the drivers on it. It has short ramps that are multifuncitonal (on-ramps for one and off-ramps for others in the same lane) and lots of lanes and cars switching back and forth around each other to get in the correct lanes. That makes it sound a little more chaotic than it really is, so don't let that deter you- I'm just trying to explain what's wrong there If you do it every day, you'll figure out which lanes you need to be in to get through. Traffic in Columbia compared to other cities in SC is pretty average and to the South is not that bad at all. You have to deal with rush hour traffic an any sizeable city, and Columbia is no different.
Hah everything your describing is Albuquerque but 100x worse. For most of the streets, they're both On/Off ramps and only let you get on or off within like 50 yards. So when you have traffic, u have bad times trying to get off or on because people don't know to drive. I don't know which part of Columbia my friend lives in, but when I figure out i'll try and find a job close to him. I've checked The State, but its just a link to Monster.com which kinda sucks ass in my opinion.

So if you guys know of any decent paying jobs let me know!! I'm an IT / Retail guru.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The drivers here are really not that bad, though I wish people would drive faster (maybe I'm one of the bad drivers they're referring to). Due to having 3 interstates, several more freeways and wide avenues downtown, I don't think traffic is that bad.
lol the narrow 1 way streets in our downtown pisses me off. u cant park on the side of the road because u have to parallel park and since its only 1 narrow street, it causes big traffic jams. Our city wasn't designed very well for large population lol.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:04 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,486,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpuccetti View Post
Heh, I might be making a visit to see a friend in Wilmington if i go out to Sc. Its like 200 miles away right?
Yeah, 200 miles sounds about right.

If you drive 10 over the speed limit, and take I-20 to I-95 to US74, it will take 3 hours from Columbia. I would advise against going through Myrtle Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area