Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:11 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
My friend, those are my setiments exactly. But your previous statements are exactly what I'm talking about. You are trying to pass off how you feel, and what your opinions are, rather than debate with evidence. If you don't like Columbia simply say so that's fine nobody is trying to convince you otherwise. But don't make an outrageous claim and try to pass it off as fact. Why should anyone believe you if you can't back up your claim. It would be like me saying "I invented the question mark."
No facts are needed. I prefer places that have less urban blight. What is there to prove? It doesn't matter does it? Its just what I feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 06:58 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
gvillesc, as I said Columbia's downtown attractions are all connected by sidewalks. While the walk from one to another might sometimes not be practical, when all the infill is done that is called for by the city's master plan, it will be no different from other big cities that just happen not to have all their downtown attractions sitting basically along one corridor. It's not too hard to connect attractions to each other and say the pedestrian is the center of attention when everything a pedestrian wants to get to is basically along the same spine. (Okay, maybe a block or two removed from the spine in some cases) Downtown Greenville's layout isn't something the sitting city council or mayor cooked up. The small footprint is only something they take advantage of, whereas Columbia's challenge is to take away the psychological barriers (the Assembly Streets) to the entire downtown area's becoming one in people's minds.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 04-26-2010 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-26-2010, 08:48 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
No facts are needed. I prefer places that have less urban blight. What is there to prove? It doesn't matter does it? Its just what I feel.
If you think Columbia has "urban blight," then you need to get out more, LOL. There's a difference between some undeveloped areas and true urban blight.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:24 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
gvillesc, as I said Columbia's downtown attractions are all connected by sidewalks. While the walk from one to another might sometimes not be practical, when all the infill is done that is called for by the city's master plan, it will be no different from other big cities that just happen not to have all their downtown attractions sitting basically along one corridor. It's not too hard to connect attractions to each other and say the pedestrian is the center of attention when everything a pedestrian wants to get to is basically along the same spine. (Okay, maybe a block or two removed from the spine in some cases) Downtown Greenville's layout isn't something the sitting city council or mayor cooked up. The small footprint is only something they take advantage of, whereas Columbia's challenge is to take away the psychological barriers (the Assembly Streets) to the entire downtown area's becoming one in people's minds.
Maybe I'm just used to the City of Greenville's way of approaching things pro-actively and getting things accomplished. Asserting that sidewalks exist and it's just being a matter of time (decades worth of infill), empowers a sit back and watch mode. I'm not used to my City doing that. Things don't always just happen by themselves. Sometimes a catalyst is needed, and many times that comes in the form of local government.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Maybe I'm just used to the City of Greenville's way of approaching things pro-actively and getting things accomplished. Asserting that sidewalks exist and it's just being a matter of time (decades worth of infill), empowers a sit back and watch mode. I'm not used to my City doing that. Things don't always just happen by themselves. Sometimes a catalyst is needed, and many times that comes in the form of local government.
Read my earlier response (long, but worth it) for a detailed assessment of the state of things in DT Columbia in terms of connectivity. The city certainly isn't taking a "sit back, watch, and see" position.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
If you think Columbia has "urban blight," then you need to get out more, LOL. There's a difference between some undeveloped areas and true urban blight.
You missed my point. That being Greenville seems to have less of this in comparison to Cola. That's one reason I prefer this area.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
You missed my point. That being Greenville seems to have less of this in comparison to Cola. That's one reason I prefer this area.
There is no true "urban blight" in Columbia, unless you're referring to a few less than desirable neighborhoods outside of downtown. Even then, that's not true urban blight. Go to Detroit or even certain parts of Atlanta to see real urban blight.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
There is no true "urban blight" in Columbia, unless you're referring to a few less than desirable neighborhoods outside of downtown. Even then, that's not true urban blight. Go to Detroit or even certain parts of Atlanta to see real urban blight.
Been there and have family that live there. Also have family in DC. Columbia still feels more gritty than Greenville to me. While these other much bigger cities have more urban blight, they are irrelevant to my comparison of Greenville and Cola. No offense. I do think Cola has a much better skyline than Greenville, but that's not enough to make me choose otherwise.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Been there and have family that live there. Also have family in DC. Columbia still feels more gritty than Greenville to me. While these other much bigger cities have more urban blight, they are irrelevant to my comparison of Greenville and Cola. No offense. I do think Cola has a much better skyline than Greenville, but that's not enough to make me choose otherwise.
"Grit" and "urban blight" are not synonymous. Some of the most vibrant urban areas in America are gritty, but not blighted.

This is gritty: the French Quarter in NOLA

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50...leans20243.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50...leans20213.jpg

This is blighted: Highland Park, Detroit

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1029/...f8eed92d0c.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1156/...420f6890f7.jpg

I'll agree that DT Columbia feels more gritty than DT Greenville, but blighted? There's no blight in DT Columbia to speak of.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Honestly, I find Greenville to be too sterile, kind of like DT Charlotte. I'd rather a city have a little grease under its fingernails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area