Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 06:49 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Waccamatt, you ignored Skyliners facts about Columbia having more hate crimes. How many lies are you going to spread about Greenville?
The key word is reported. How many hate crimes go unrecognized because of fear by the victims or ignorance by the police? Columbia also has a much larger African-American and Gay and Lesbian community than does Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 07:42 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,870,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The key word is reported. How many hate crimes go unrecognized because of fear by the victims or ignorance by the police? Columbia also has a much larger African-American and Gay and Lesbian community than does Greenville.
Well that's true, last week when that straight couple I was chatting with at dinner didn't like my pair of Ted Baker's, I forgot to report it. Isn't that a hate crime??? Hating my shoes?

If you have magic powers that can determine people in Greenville don't report crime, then you go! I can only go on the facts that Skyliner posted.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,333,880 times
Quote:
Wow, chain restaurants; color me impressed.
The folks coming from out of town are. We also have local flavor. I'd rather have those chains than not like Columbia. For that I could of stayed where I was.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 PM

5,595 posts, read 15,392,503 times
Quote:
Ah, so you have decided to change the rules after the latest official FBI data clearly debunked your unsubstantiated comment? As I requested in my initial reply, aside from the one widely publicized case in 2007 involving two kids outside a local sports pub, please share the evidence supporting your claim that "hate crimes have been a problem in Greenville." I live here and have not seen this so-called "problem", therefore the burden of proof remains yours.

Can we assume you have loosened your resistance against the multiple published comments citing "eyewitnesses" in the Mayor-elect thread? Since it seems to be alright to assume that crimes are not being reported by the FBI in Greenville (although somehow that same assumption was not applied to Columbia - but we haven't seen an ounce of evidence either way), then it must be alright to assume the worst in Mr. Benjamin's case, based on the potential eyewitness accounts of his apparent celebratory night on the town.*

*For the record, I have not taken a side in the "Benjamin Wins" debate. The evidence we currently have regarding whom (if anyone) was at fault in the accident appears inconclusive.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:42 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Ah, so you have decided to change the rules after the latest official FBI data clearly debunked your unsubstantiated comment? As I requested in my initial reply, aside from the one widely publicized case in 2007 involving two kids outside a local sports pub, please share the evidence supporting your claim that "hate crimes have been a problem in Greenville." I live here and have not seen this so-called "problem", therefore the burden of proof remains yours.

Can we assume you have loosened your resistance against the multiple published comments citing "eyewitnesses" in the Mayor-elect thread? Since it seems to be alright to assume that crimes are not being reported by the FBI in Greenville (although somehow that same assumption was not applied to Columbia - but we haven't seen an ounce of evidence either way), then it must be alright to assume the worst in Mr. Benjamin's case, based on the potential eyewitness accounts of his apparent celebratory night on the town.*

*For the record, I have not taken a side in the "Benjamin Wins" debate. The evidence we currently have regarding whom (if anyone) was at fault in the accident appears inconclusive.
Mixing threads now?

Old 05-01-2010, 12:03 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,814,761 times
Trying to explain anything logically *cough airline incentives cough* to Columbia boosters is like trying to teach chinese to a turtle. It's a lost cause.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:36 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,550,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
When looking at regions as whole the upstate is the economic hotbed of this state, which Greenville is the center of. Good try though.
Greenville is a nice little city but I would NEVER call it the "economic hotbed of this state"! During one of my visits to Greenville a few months ago....the unemployment line at the downtown Greenville unemployment office was not only stretching out the door but was out in the parking lot. With that kind of unemployment issue and a market heavily saturated with low wage jobs.....if Greenville is the economic hotbed of the state....then the state is in huge trouble!

BTW this is not just an observation of a visitor but a current Greenville homeowner and property tax payer.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Greenville is a nice little city but I would NEVER call it the "economic hotbed of this state"! During one of my visits to Greenville a few months ago....the unemployment line at the downtown Greenville unemployment office was not only stretching out the door but was out in the parking lot. With that kind of unemployment issue and a market heavily saturated with low wage jobs.....if Greenville is the economic hotbed of the state....then the state is in huge trouble!

BTW this is not just an observation of a visitor but a current Greenville homeowner and property tax payer.
Actually it is. Just because you couldn't find work doesn't mean its not. I make just under 100k in the same area you failed in and have never had problems making money. Maybe its not the place brother. Next!

Old 05-01-2010, 02:30 AM

NYB, in a recession the strong survive while the weak watch and point fingers. Sorry man.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:10 AM

12,937 posts, read 18,787,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Yep! But Greenville County blew Richland up in growth. Thank the census bureau for giving you at least a little something to brag about.
This isn't called County-Data.com. Richland County ends at the edge of Downtown Columbia at the Congaree River and Lexington County begins on the opposite river bank. I'm sure you don't always claim the stats from the Spartanburg and Anderson MSA's when they bring the Upstate's overall stats down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area