Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 11:11 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@ColMetro: You're conflating city population, metro statistical area, and combined statistical area. It's the middle figure -- MSA -- that determines when new chain stores, national "fast casual" restaurants, or retail outfits like Costco come to town. It was always that way, as back in the 1960s-70s, when TV networks determined when/if a city got a new local station affiliate. This means that at this time, Columbus (pop. 316,000 in the metro) will generally follow Augusta (pop. 580,000) or Savannah (366,000) in obtaining most "national amenities." Exceptions might be companies that are a nice fit for a military town like Columbus. Otherwise, Columbus is Georgia's fourth city in terms of new amenities.
Explain amenities? Do the others have a Civic Center as nice as the one in Columbus? No. Do the others have a performing arts center as nice as the one in Columbus? No. Do the others have museums that rival those in Columbus? No. I can keep going and going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 12:04 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Explain amenities? Do the others have a Civic Center as nice as the one in Columbus? No. Do the others have a performing arts center as nice as the one in Columbus? No. Do the others have museums that rival those in Columbus? No. I can keep going and going.
There'd be no need to "go on and on" if you had actually visited facilities and museums in the other second-tier cities. They're doing just fine. I haven't been to Augusta lately, but Savannah, yes, and there's little in Columbus to make Savannahians envious (as for museums, Savannah's Telfair and its attached Jepson Center is considered to be one of the finest museums in the South, and one of the oldest). I did explain "amenities" in preceding posts: here, it's national chain restaurants, national retailers like Whole Foods or Costco, etc. -- which will almost always establish themselves in Augusta or Savannah before Columbus because August and Savannah are more populous MSAs. Columbus will tend to land these amenities before Macon or Athens, for the same reason: Columbus has a larger MSA than Macon or Athens. I rest my case.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:47 PM

286 posts, read 438,473 times
If we can not land a costco here. Then maybe a super target would be nice. I really never understood costco anyway to me there just like sam's club but more pricey and this could be why there very picky on what location they choose.And if i can get more stuff at sams club for a cheaper price then bump a costco why shop at pricey places anyway. I hope we still get a bass pro shop though because we have the river. And a academy sports would do good in columbus too. And I want to see a pf changs restraunt. And a mimi's cafe.

Last edited by columbusmetro89; 02-06-2015 at 01:08 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 11:09 AM

967 posts, read 1,074,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmetro89 View Post
If we can not land a costco here. Then maybe a super target would be nice. I really never understood costco anyway to me there just like sam's club but more pricey and this could be why there very picky on what location they choose.And if i can get more stuff at sams club for a cheaper price then bump a costco why shop at pricey places anyway. I hope we still get a bass pro shop though because we have the river. And a academy sports would do good in columbus too. And I want to see a pf changs restraunt. And a mimi's cafe.

I'd love a Super Target too, I haven't read any rumors about another one recently though. I think one would do well in Phenix City or eastern Columbus.

Costco is supposed to have better quality merchandise than Sam's. When they come here I'll probably get a membership.

Bass Pro is planned for a location off I185 in Harris County, although I've read there are some other construction projects that will go through first before that one starts. I've also heard Academy is planning a Columbus location at some point. An old site plan for the Swift mill site has Academy Sports and Costco although I think the plan was fairly old so it's subject to change. I've heard rumors about a PF Chang's being here eventually. I think a great location would be in the new CPC Expansion, or in that area.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:03 AM

427 posts, read 551,153 times
Default Updated!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog23 View Post
Wow, Columbus isn't even on the "rumored" list... that sucks. At this rate and when you take into consideration the fact that the rumors of Costco building here began in 2010, if it really will be another 3-5 years before Costco even starts pondering whether to put a location here, then we will have ended up waiting at least 1-1.5 decades for one since the rumors began.
Columbus was just added to the "Rumored" list on this website

Old 02-17-2015, 08:41 AM

Great thanks for reporting it!

Old 03-03-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
Great thanks for reporting it!

Yw, now we just need them to sign a lease!!!

Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2belds97 View Post
Yw, now we just need them to sign a lease!!!
I hope we hear some updates soon.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
I hope we hear some updates soon.

Agreed!

Old 04-06-2015, 08:20 PM

Anyone heard anything other than they are (still) in contact negotiations for the Swift Mill site?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA