Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 AM

101 posts, read 166,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Tier View Post
Okay Mountaineer, you are right about this, but you 2 apparently have no life and are VERY immature, trust me, I've read your other posts..
Of corse we have lives, we don't just sit home and do this all day. we explore. Or else why would we know all of this stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 04:25 PM

783 posts, read 1,161,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Georgia Man View Post
Of corse we have lives, we don't just sit home and do this all day. we explore. Or else why would we know all of this stuff
Good point!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:24 PM

130 posts, read 243,427 times
I've been meaning to post in this thread but I've been busy, I'm probably one of the youngest people on this forum if not the Georgia region as a whole I'm 18. I'm from Columbus born and raised I spent majority of my life between buena vista road and steammill road. I agree their is nothing positive left in Columbus, those of us who can't afford to move or the fact that we have nowhere else to go try to make the best of of living in Columbus, not all do though. As far as the youth goes there's nothing for them to do, except for a couple clubs but they get shut down so much its not even worth going to, the way I see it Columbus is dying and until the powers that be decide to acknowledge there's a problem its just gonna get worse. Don't get me wrong I love my city I mean its where I came from, but I would describe how I feel about Columbus as a love hate type of thing, those that reach out for help the powers that be in the city don't listen until its too late but thats nothing new. I just hope those that come after me won't have to put up with the type of things my generation and even the generations that came before me have had to deal with, and they'll be able to say their proud of where they came from instead of shunning it like I've seen a good bit of people do, this is just my mere opinion on this matter.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:15 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross706 View Post
I've been meaning to post in this thread but I've been busy, I'm probably one of the youngest people on this forum if not the Georgia region as a whole I'm 18. I'm from Columbus born and raised I spent majority of my life between buena vista road and steammill road. I agree their is nothing positive left in Columbus, those of us who can't afford to move or the fact that we have nowhere else to go try to make the best of of living in Columbus, not all do though. As far as the youth goes there's nothing for them to do, except for a couple clubs but they get shut down so much its not even worth going to, the way I see it Columbus is dying and until the powers that be decide to acknowledge there's a problem its just gonna get worse. Don't get me wrong I love my city I mean its where I came from, but I would describe how I feel about Columbus as a love hate type of thing, those that reach out for help the powers that be in the city don't listen until its too late but thats nothing new. I just hope those that come after me won't have to put up with the type of things my generation and even the generations that came before me have had to deal with, and they'll be able to say their proud of where they came from instead of shunning it like I've seen a good bit of people do, this is just my mere opinion on this matter.
Rose,
What would you like for Columbus to have that other cities have, which are meaningful to you as an 18 year old?

Old 06-30-2011, 04:01 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
^^^ Every single 18 year old NO MATTER WHERE THEY ARE FROM thinks their hometown sucks. Come back in 10 years and your opinion will be 180 degrees different. TRUST ME!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:49 PM

11 posts, read 31,284 times
I have found that Columbus is a Cultural, Academic and Technological desert. Locals seem very small minded and prejudiced especially against Asians and Latinos/Hispanics.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:40 PM
JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEGator View Post
I have found that Columbus is a Cultural, Academic and Technological desert. Locals seem very small minded and prejudiced especially against Asians and Latinos/Hispanics.
That explains why Columbus has had one the largest increase of Hispanic/Latino and Asian population growth of any city outside of the Atlanta metro area over the last 20 years. That also explains why Columbus has one the largest concentration of computer programmers and analysts of any city in the state of GA.
Come on man!

Old 07-01-2011, 06:55 PM

130 posts, read 243,427 times
To answer the question you asked me JLA, being honest with you I wish I knew I just hope in the near future Columbus will see more alternatives for the youth. Like its been said before Columbus does feel slow it is slowed down here I agree with that I've spent my whole life here and for a city with almost 200 thousand people we have a small country town feel to it but I can't say that the whole city is like that though. And to the person who posted the statement regarding that most 18 year olds think their hometown sucks, honestly most of the people I came up with are in the process of leaving if their not involved in other situations which I won't go into detail about. Columbus to me is the type of place we strive to get out of, there's nothing left here there's more chances to do wrong than their is to earn a honest living in this city some might feel I'm making something seem worse than it is and by all means Columbus ain't the worst place to live but its not even close to being a ideal place to raise a family atleast in my opinion. For example someone I went to school with I won't mention names we weren't close we had a mutual understanding of one another and that was that, well he just got thirty years in prison for a murder that happened last year over on Forrest Road. The problem I see with Columbus is, there's more options to go down a wrong path than there is anything righteous. The only thing I hope for the future of the city is that the ones that come after me have more alternatives or more positive outlets to go hang out or whatever the case may be, if you look at the crime statistics the crimes that are reported usually the ones arrested are youths same goes for being a victim of a violent crime or a crime in general here I just hope people begin to realize Columbus is dying,, and unless the powers that be decide to make some real changes none of that false promise stuff they've pulled in the past its gonna keep getting worse. Just my thought.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:48 PM
JLA

Quote:
To answer the question you asked me JLA, being honest with you I wish I knew I just hope in the near future Columbus will see more alternatives for the youth. Like its been said before Columbus does feel slow it is slowed down here I agree with that I've spent my whole life here and for a city with almost 200 thousand people we have a small country town feel to it but I can't say that the whole city is like that though. And to the person who posted the statement regarding that most 18 year olds think their hometown sucks, honestly most of the people I came up with are in the process of leaving if their not involved in other situations which I won't go into detail about. Columbus to me is the type of place we strive to get out of, there's nothing left here there's more chances to do wrong than their is to earn a honest living in this city some might feel I'm making something seem worse than it is and by all means Columbus ain't the worst place to live but its not even close to being a ideal place to raise a family atleast in my opinion. For example someone I went to school with I won't mention names we weren't close we had a mutual understanding of one another and that was that, well he just got thirty years in prison for a murder that happened last year over on Forrest Road. The problem I see with Columbus is, there's more options to go down a wrong path than there is anything righteous. The only thing I hope for the future of the city is that the ones that come after me have more alternatives or more positive outlets to go hang out or whatever the case may be, if you look at the crime statistics the crimes that are reported usually the ones arrested are youths same goes for being a victim of a violent crime or a crime in general here I just hope people begin to realize Columbus is dying,, and unless the powers that be decide to make some real changes none of that false promise stuff they've pulled in the past its gonna keep getting worse. Just my thought.
Ross,
What are you looking for in a city? What are you missing? The choice to do right or wrong is not the city's fault. Those choices resides with each person. I can not blame Columbus or any other city for my choices. Maybe, it's time for you to explore the rest of the United States and I don't mean Atlanta. It only offers more of the same. Try some of the cities in the Northeast, Midwest, Southwest and Northwest. Getting to explore other cultures may give you some idea of what is lacking in your life.
As your acquaintance found out there are plenty of things to get into here in Columbus, but they are not all good for you. Using some semblance of discretion and common sense will spare all of us some heartaches.

God Bless

Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 PM

101 posts, read 166,721 times
Quote:
I'm younger than that, Give me advice on high school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA