Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 PM

14 posts, read 32,065 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm moving out of Columbus, OH to Lincoln, Nebraska.
Can anyone suggest reputable moving companies and car hauling companies? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 11:17 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Strictly my opinion, but I and friends have had nothing but trouble with UHaul.

When I moved to this area, I sold enough stuff so that the household could fit into a 24' Penski truck, which was (and might still be) the largest one can rent without a CDL.

I hired men from Two Men and a Truck to help me load the big stuff ('fridge, spinet piano (on wheels), couch, stove) and had friends help with the boxes.
On this end, I again hired two different men from Two Men and a Truck to help me unload the big items. I unloaded the rest of the truck myself (mistake!)

I had excellent service from this company at both ends, but I couldn't afford to hire them to do the whole house.

For this next move 10 hours away, I'm going to again sell a lot of stuff and put the remainder in a POD (portable on demand storage) and then rent a pull along trailer for just the minimum amount I'll need with me while I'm fixing up the new place. When that's finished, I'll have the POD brought over and hire whomever I can get to unload it.

www.pods.com/

I know you asked about moving companies, but what I did might save you some serious money if your company isn't paying for your relocation. Commercial movers aren't in my budget, other than hiring two for 1 hour of loading/unloading.

Last edited by Meemur; 05-05-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 05-06-2012, 12:49 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,164,319 times
We're moving in June - Out of State. We're doing it ourselves! We're using Penske as well.

We got friends helping with the loading/unloading..

Our move is 16 hours away - and We're towing on car!!!!

We did it coming here. It's hard work, but manageable.

I hope someone can chime in with a moving company. I've heard so many bad stories, I just couldn't use any - if I wanted to...

Good Luck OP!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: