Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:07 AM

7 posts, read 17,559 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Columbus this summer from coastal SC. I am from NE Ohio originally and have family in Dublin. My husband has also previously lived in NE Ohio and has visited Columbus with my family. I am much more familiar with the city, having grown up going to the football games, playing various HS teams in Columbus, visiting family and many trips to tOSU
We have already decided on building our new home and already realize we will end up spending some time renting before our home is complete. My husband will be working at Doctor's West on West Broad. We are expecting our first child at the end of May. Proximity to work/commute time and schools and affordability are our top priorities.
That background complete, I have narrowed down Dublin and Powell as our final options. Hilliard just felt to me like I was well on my way to Indy and far far far from Columbus
My question/dilema has been this (excuse the rambling) Dublin seems great...LOTS of homes but not so many lots right now to build on and I am still in sticker shock re: lot prices!! Like serious sticker shock...never imagined paying close to 300K for a lot in central Ohio
Powell also is great...more breathing space/elbow room, landscape is more natural/rural feeling and seems like we can probably get more for our money land-wise.
I'm just wondering if the trade-off for commute-time is worth it? I've map-quested, gps'd, google-mapped you name it the drive times and Powell continually comes up 2-5 minutes longer than Dublin (at least where there are lots available in Dublin). Unfortunately on this trip I've been unable to drive each route to see for myself...
Husband will be leaving in the a.m. earlier than traditional rush-hour times (7-ish) and not sure about drive home in evening...
Anyone care to offer me their two-cents worth on which would be a better choice? Or honestly how "terrible"the commute would be to and from Powell? Is it a pain to get to the highway from Dublin? (Say from The Oaks off of Harriott Rd)
Many thanks in advance for any advice! I'm hoping to reserve a lot before I leave on Wednesday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 08:50 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
In regards to prices... yeah, Columbus and its surroundings are pretty hot in terms of housing. They're not building too many single-family homes, and demand is crazy, so vacant lots and homes have been increasing in price the last few years especially, the same as they have been for condos, rentals and pretty much anything else. In terms of where your money might go further in the long run, probably Dublin. They're rebuilding their central corridor in a dense, walkable fashion, and that's going to be a lot more sustainable and desirable in the future. Powell barely has a "downtown", and almost nothing in the way of shopping or places to go. You will have to leave every time you need something. Plus, traffic is worse there because it doesn't have much in the way of major infrastructure. It's fast-growing, so that'll only get worse over time. Dublin at least has 270, 161, etc. So while you might get more for your money in Powell, I'm not sure if it offers near the level of convenience and long-term investment potential that Dublin does.

So yeah, I'd go with Dublin.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:10 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Plus Dublin Schools can't be beat. Along w/ New Albany, they are considered the best in the area.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:43 PM

49 posts, read 107,483 times
Default Same situation for us

Interesting that we are also in the same boat, moving this summer back to Ohio, deciding between Dublin and Powell, too. I am even also from NE Ohio originally, too. We've been scouring this forum and others to help us decide. I think from a long term property value and convenience perspective, Dublin is a better choice, BUT we really want more of a rural feel that we just can't get in Dublin. So we are stuck as well. We aren't as set on building as you, but we will if the lot is right. I have also been a little surprised at the lot prices, but I think the overall total with house is still good compared to other parts of the country. Sorry I can't help you much but I am looking forward to what others say.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:59 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choski94 View Post
Interesting that we are also in the same boat, moving this summer back to Ohio, deciding between Dublin and Powell, too. I am even also from NE Ohio originally, too. We've been scouring this forum and others to help us decide. I think from a long term property value and convenience perspective, Dublin is a better choice, BUT we really want more of a rural feel that we just can't get in Dublin. So we are stuck as well. We aren't as set on building as you, but we will if the lot is right. I have also been a little surprised at the lot prices, but I think the overall total with house is still good compared to other parts of the country. Sorry I can't help you much but I am looking forward to what others say.
If you want rural, I'm not sure Powell would be all that great in the long-run, either. It's basically a suburb as it is.

For truly more rural, maybe you should look around a place like West Jefferson.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:20 PM

49 posts, read 107,483 times
I know Powell is not "real" rural, but everything is relative. To get a lot like where I grew up we would have to live an hour away. Not possible. We will at least get more land in Powell than in UA, for example.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:18 AM

703 posts, read 870,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyellowdog36 View Post
My husband and I are relocating to Columbus this summer from coastal SC. I am from NE Ohio originally and have family in Dublin. My husband has also previously lived in NE Ohio and has visited Columbus with my family. I am much more familiar with the city, having grown up going to the football games, playing various HS teams in Columbus, visiting family and many trips to tOSU
We have already decided on building our new home and already realize we will end up spending some time renting before our home is complete. My husband will be working at Doctor's West on West Broad. We are expecting our first child at the end of May. Proximity to work/commute time and schools and affordability are our top priorities.
That background complete, I have narrowed down Dublin and Powell as our final options. Hilliard just felt to me like I was well on my way to Indy and far far far from Columbus
My question/dilema has been this (excuse the rambling) Dublin seems great...LOTS of homes but not so many lots right now to build on and I am still in sticker shock re: lot prices!! Like serious sticker shock...never imagined paying close to 300K for a lot in central Ohio
Powell also is great...more breathing space/elbow room, landscape is more natural/rural feeling and seems like we can probably get more for our money land-wise.
I'm just wondering if the trade-off for commute-time is worth it? I've map-quested, gps'd, google-mapped you name it the drive times and Powell continually comes up 2-5 minutes longer than Dublin (at least where there are lots available in Dublin). Unfortunately on this trip I've been unable to drive each route to see for myself...
Husband will be leaving in the a.m. earlier than traditional rush-hour times (7-ish) and not sure about drive home in evening...
Anyone care to offer me their two-cents worth on which would be a better choice? Or honestly how "terrible"the commute would be to and from Powell? Is it a pain to get to the highway from Dublin? (Say from The Oaks off of Harriott Rd)
Many thanks in advance for any advice! I'm hoping to reserve a lot before I leave on Wednesday
Firstly don't worry about leaving coastal S.C., leaving the south is a great idea. If you're looking for affordability, yes, the Columbus area is the right place. Between Powell and Dublin, I'm gonna be honest, based on your priorities, I would definitely say Dublin. Powell is in the Olentangy school district, which doesn't even come close to matching up with Powell, especially for what you're going to be paying in taxes. I'd say Powell is just as far out there as Hilliard, but don't disregard Hilliard all at once. It also has a very, very good school system, and quick highway access, just as Dublin. For convenience, I would also go with Dublin. The rush-hour traffic? eh... I-270 isn't the best, but definitely not the worst I've ever driven. One last thing. School districts... Make sure you get comfortable with the district you live in because Franklin County schools closed any form of open enrollment, which means you can attend a school in a district you don't live in. Anyway, good luck and make good choices.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:40 PM

Thank you everyone for all of the advice and input! We ended up choosing Powell, actually the neighborhood where this year's Parade of Homes was located.
The area worked out to have the roomier/rural-ish feel for us and the price was much nicer. Our other choice was The Reserve at The Oaks in Dublin and again, I just couldn't stomach the price tag :-) for the previous poster also from NE Ohio here's my 2 cents impression - Powell area feels more to me like Bath/Orange area (I'm from Hudson) and maybe a little like Hudson. Dublin reminds me exactly of Carmel, IN (if you've ever been) - a more developed, populated feel.
We've just decided on a rental property in Short North so we're excited to have 4-5 months to get to explore "the city" before we move to "the county" haha
As for leaving the South, we can't get out of here soon enough!!

Old 12-29-2014, 01:36 PM

703 posts, read 870,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyellowdog36 View Post
Thank you everyone for all of the advice and input! We ended up choosing Powell, actually the neighborhood where this year's Parade of Homes was located.
The area worked out to have the roomier/rural-ish feel for us and the price was much nicer. Our other choice was The Reserve at The Oaks in Dublin and again, I just couldn't stomach the price tag :-) for the previous poster also from NE Ohio here's my 2 cents impression - Powell area feels more to me like Bath/Orange area (I'm from Hudson) and maybe a little like Hudson. Dublin reminds me exactly of Carmel, IN (if you've ever been) - a more developed, populated feel.
We've just decided on a rental property in Short North so we're excited to have 4-5 months to get to explore "the city" before we move to "the county" haha
As for leaving the South, we can't get out of here soon enough!!
And Carmel is a really, really nice suburb. It's too bad you chose Powell. I feel terrible that your children are getting into the Olentangy school system. *Sigh*

Old 12-29-2014, 03:36 PM

Ehhh...really, really nice is one of the last ways I'd ever describe Carmel. I'm fairly certain our child (not children) who isn't due to make his grand entrance for another 5 months, will do wonderfully in the highly rated Olentangy school system 5 years from now. I feel terrible that your reading comprehension isn't better. *Sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus